Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quick Note on Skip Hicks

Panthers | Hicks Could Become Top Backup - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:55:38 -0700

Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports for the Sporting News that the Carolina Panthers RB Skip Hicks could become the top backup at running back if RB DeShaun Foster (knee) isn't fully recovered in time.

Remember that Carolina is teh team that signed Stephen Davis. It seems the two are about to be together again. Wonder if Skip can finally beat him out?

How ironic is that. I'd bet the ranch that he doesn't beat SD out.

Everything about Hicks annoys me. His name, his style of play, and the fact that he just plain sucks.

He epitomizes everything that I don't like about sports. Thank God he's gone.

Hicks is another guy like Westbrook that flashes enough ability to warrant having someone carry him for 16 games each season :)

But the promise is just a mirage. Hicks isn't going to become a consistent NFL player. Part of it is attitude and effort, the other part is lacking the instincts of a top shelf back.

I know Skip, at least I have met him in social situations several times. He is one weird dude.

I was going to ask him to autograph my father's handicap placard that he hangs from his rear view mirror. However, I don't suppose that would have gone over quite well.

Remember, he was fined along with several other members from the UCLA football team for illegally obtaining and using handicapped parking permits on campus. Kind of a jerk move.

Hicks squandered his opportunities here. In some ways he reminds me of Reggie Brooks, another draft choice that fizzled after he got a fat head.

At least in Brooks' case he had a 1,000 yard season before becoming impossible to deal with. Hicks never did anything.

The one year he was slated to be the starter heading into camp in 1999 he sloughed off and came in out of shape and expecting to be handed a spot without putting out any effort.

What this blurb says to me is that Hicks, if Davis and Foster are healthy, is destined to be a bench player that doesn't see the light of day come the regular season.

Right now he is the #3 back on a team whose offense from last year on the ground was among the worst in the NFC.

Hicks is very much like Brooks in that he is a breakaway back who is incapable of "keeping the chains moving." He'll have an eye popping run one down, and then gain one or two yards the next five or six carries. It makes for some highlights, but ultimately loses games. He can't make the tough yards, can't catch out of the backfield (To quote Robiskie, "Skip couldn't catch a cold wearing wet clothes on an iceberg"), and ultimately is simply not an NFL caliber RB. We should've traded him while we had the chance, but Norvo insisted on hanging on to him :doh:

Ahh Bulldog, you summed it up perfectly with "the promise was just a mirage". Very well put. :notworthy

I agree with you GoSkins, his name sucks. It should probably be "Skipped Town". At least that would be more accurate as to his contributions. :)

Archived