Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm too awnry to die.

Mad Mike

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. But I did come close.

Most of you know a little about my heart history. Well... I've had regular chest pains since my first heart attack in 04. Even after a double bypass and two stents it has always been there, a dull ache from any extra exertion.

Well lately it's been getting progressively worse but slowly so that it snuck up on me. This past week I was having stomach problems on top of everything and thinking maybe that was the problem since I was having trouble eating and getting weak. I even saw a doctor Tuesday who ran an EKG that looked fine. But that night I started feeling worse after much internal debate, called 911. It was a tough call because being laid off, and having no insurance I cant afford more medical bills unless it's life and death.

Well I took the ambulance ride to the emergency room thinking this might be another false alarm, (I've had those before) and although nothing was showing up on initial tests they wanted to admit me for observation. I almost declined. I'm glad I didn't.

They transferred me to a regular room in the heart wing and just as they wheeled me in and got me into the bed it hit. Dull at first, the chest pain quickly rose until I was nearly screaming in pain and thrashing in bed. For a moment I thought it was all over but they were able to stabilize me with drugs. Still... nothing on the EKG. But later they were able to detect the enzymes that showed my heart was taking trauma.

The cath lab told the tale the next day. A big blockage that the doctor told me would have surely killed me had I not been in the hospital in time.

So now I have three stents rather than two (plus the bipass). But I'm alive and feeling better than I have in a long long time. I feel so good in fact that I think that they may have finally found the source of the constant pain I have had since 04. Time will tell once I can really start exercising again but I'm hopeful.

More than that, I'm just glad to be around to annoy you all for at least a few more years. And I'm still hoping to see the Skins win another superbowl before my time on earth is done. :D

:cheers:

follow you're doctors orders and try to stick around for a while longer. It's may take quite a few more years for a superbowl, and it will be an awful shame if it comes by and you missed it

I here ya man. My doc gave me the tough love speech. I'm taking it to heart.

Thank God you played this one perfectly. "Awnry" my ass, I don't know that I've ever heard a close call described in such a positive way. God bless you and like the man said, doctor's orders!

It's easy to be positive after the fact.

I've been through a lot of emotional stages. To some degree you learn to live with the possibility of death. No mater how well I do, I know I'm not going to live to be an old man. But still, its a damn scary feeling when you know the next breath you take might be your last.

When they do a heart cath, you are awake during the procedure and if you are like me, you are watching the monitor and literally seeing in real time what they are doing inside your heart. You can feel the pressure inside your heart as they inflate the stent. But before that, it's exploratory and I was still in fear that I might need another open heart surgery.

Believe me. I'm not ashamed to admit that when the doc placed the stent and told me I was going to be OK, I broke down and cried in relief.

Damn, what was up with that EKG? Shouldn't it have been showing something?

I wasn't a full heart attack yet. It was more of a slow failure that was getting very close to that point. They were able to use drugs to keep me stable overnight and keep me from going over the edge. At least that's how I understand it.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. But I did come close.

Most of you know a little about my heart history. Well... I've had regular chest pains since my first heart attack in 04. Even after a double bypass and two stents it has always been there, a dull ache from any extra exertion.

Well lately it's been getting progressively worse but slowly so that it snuck up on me. This past week I was having stomach problems on top of everything and thinking maybe that was the problem since I was having trouble eating and getting weak. I even saw a doctor Tuesday who ran an EKG that looked fine. But that night I started feeling worse after much internal debate, called 911. It was a tough call because being laid off, and having no insurance I cant afford more medical bills unless it's life and death.

Well I took the ambulance ride to the emergency room thinking this might be another false alarm, (I've had those before) and although nothing was showing up on initial tests they wanted to admit me for observation. I almost declined. I'm glad I didn't.

They transferred me to a regular room in the heart wing and just as they wheeled me in and got me into the bed it hit. Dull at first, the chest pain quickly rose until I was nearly screaming in pain and thrashing in bed. For a moment I thought it was all over but they were able to stabilize me with drugs. Still... nothing on the EKG. But later they were able to detect the enzymes that showed my heart was taking trauma.

The cath lab told the tale the next day. A big blockage that the doctor told me would have surely killed me had I not been in the hospital in time.

So now I have three stents rather than two (plus the bipass). But I'm alive and feeling better than I have in a long long time. I feel so good in fact that I think that they may have finally found the source of the constant pain I have had since 04. Time will tell once I can really start exercising again but I'm hopeful.

More than that, I'm just glad to be around to annoy you all for at least a few more years. And I'm still hoping to see the Skins win another superbowl before my time on earth is done. :D

Wow, Mike. Man, I am sure sorry to hear of your condition and your trauma, but I speak for everyone when I say I am glad to hear the doctors were able to catch the problem before it became severe. Glad to hear you also feel better and I hope your health continues to improve.

Here's to that Superbowl. :cheers:

I wasn't a full heart attack yet. It was more of a slow failure that was getting very close to that point. They were able to use drugs to keep me stable overnight and keep me from going over the edge. At least that's how I understand it.

I just thought an EKG was more sensitive than that. It measures electrical impulses, right? Shouldn't the electrical impulses involved with the heart show abnormal patterns if it's in relatively severe distress, even if the situation hasn't progressed to a full-on heart attack?

(I'm speaking with limited medical knowledge here, only going off of when my own heart has been checked a couple times due to a history of family abnormalities. I could be totally off, but this is my basic understanding of how an EKG works.)

I just thought an EKG was more sensitive than that. It measures electrical impulses, right? Shouldn't the electrical impulses involved with the heart show abnormal patterns if it's in relatively severe distress, even if the situation hasn't progressed to a full-on heart attack?

(I'm speaking with limited medical knowledge here, only going off of when my own heart has been checked a couple times due to a history of family abnormalities. I could be totally off, but this is my basic understanding of how an EKG works.)

Believe me, I always thought the same thing. But EMTs will tell you, the EKG doesn't show everything. I think there are also different types of heart conditions and some may show up more in one test than another.

BTW. Everyone should learn the symptoms of a heart attack. Some are not obvious such as nausea and cold sweats but recognizing them may save your life or the life of someone you love.

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/patient-guide-44510-6.html

The American Heart Association and other medical experts say the body likely will send one or more of these warning signals of a heart attack:

* Uncomfortable pressure, fullness, squeezing or pain in the center of the chest lasting more than a few minutes.

* Pain spreading to the shoulders, neck or arms. The pain may be mild to intense. It may feel like pressure, tightness, burning, or heavy weight. It may be located in the chest, upper abdomen, neck, jaw, or inside the arms or shoulders.

* Chest discomfort with lightheadedness, fainting, sweating, nausea or shortness of breath.

* Anxiety, nervousness and/or cold, sweaty skin.

* Paleness or pallor.

* Increased or irregular heart rate.

* Feeling of impending doom.

Not all of these signs occur in every attack.

Wow Mike! OMG thats got to be both a blessing and scary as heck at the same time!

I truly wish you the best and will have my family add you to our prayer list.

I better not see you play the "mad" part here anymore though! that cant be good for the heart! (If my own BP while engaged in ES threads is any indication! LOL)

Thanks guys. Your well wishes mean a lot to me.

You are all like an extended family in a way. Even when we argue. ;)

Oh yeah, BTW... A very special thank you to EMTs, nurses, doctors, and everyone on the front line of emergency rooms everywhere. You do a difficult job that not everyone can handle. You put in long, odd hours and work your ass off to save lives and help people and you don't get half the credit you deserve. Thank you. :notworthy

On a more personal note:

Everyone along the way was wonderful but one emergency room nurse in particular was just amazing. I was scared and hurting and they had me so pumped up with nitro for my heart that It felt as if a spike was driven through my skull. (even a small tab will give you a sharp head ache) All she could give me at the time was Tylenol so she sat with me, talked me through it and massaged my temples. The compassion that I felt through her hands and voice was so amazing that I cant really find the words for it. I'm getting choked up now just thinking about it. Thank you Linda. I will never forget what you did for me.

Archived