Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take aways from the Skins 09 Preseason

SkinsRMoney06

I don't know. I thought the offense exceeded expectations, and i was a little bit disappointed in the overall performance of the defence. That being said, Haynesworth didn't play a lot, and we have a lot of new components and will probably gel as the year progresses.

Would have liked an INT or some sacks from the first team D, i concur. I think it will be a shocker if our D is not 4th or better this year.

4/ Malcom, Devin and Marko are going to be the future posse.

The thought of this makes me very happy. That would be one heck of a wide receivers core. Who else thought that when the top three were supposed to be Lloyd, Moss, and ARE we would ever see that much talent that can ride the big kid rides at the amusement park.

- Our offense is going to put more points on the board. Campbell has not only improved but has something to prove. In addition, he will have WRs to throw to that are not named Moss and Cooley. ARE will do much better in the slot. Our redzone packages will be better with the taller guys in there.

- Our defense looks like it will be able to get more pressure and that will lead to more turnovers. Orakpo does not look like a rookie and Jarmon was a nice pickup as well.

- Our punting problems are solved, for now.

- Zorn has more of his playbook installed and seems to be better at clock management and play calling.

- Our offense is going to put more points on the board. Campbell has not only improved but has something to prove. In addition, he will have WRs to throw to that are not named Moss and Cooley. ARE will do much better in the slot. Our redzone packages will be better with the taller guys in there.

- Our defense looks like it will be able to get more pressure and that will lead to more turnovers. Orakpo does not look like a rookie and Jarmon was a nice pickup as well.

- Our punting problems are solved, for now.

- Zorn has more of his playbook installed and seems to be better at clock management and play calling.

Nailed it. Campbell will get a contract extension i think, as long as hes not running for his life constantly. I really think the most important thing will be our offense opening up because Moss & Cooley wont be the only target. That is SO important.

Positives:

*Orakpo looks absolutely insane out there. His athleticism on the field reminds me of the way Ovechkin or Kobe looks on the rink/court.... almost like a different breed from everyone else. (I just hope teams don't exploit him too much in the passing game.)

*Jarmon will contribute this year. Next year he will be an All-Pro.

*Comb Kelly looks healthy and awesome.

*Offensive line looks way better than anyone expected. Barring any major injuries, we should be OK here.

*Punter Smith is my dog.

*Campbell looks pretty sharp in a very easy-to-manage offensive.

Negatives:

*Coverage looked awful. Throwing teams will have no trouble moving the ball on us.

*Our offensive scheme is still boring and predictable. Someone on this site said a few weeks ago "On our roster, we have the most talent in the NFL from players 1-22, and the least from 23-53." That's probably true, and we need to get those talented guys in position to score points.

Unknown:

*Haynesworth... will he stay healthy all season and be the guy we paid him to be?

*Zorn... is he able to get his players ready to compete at a high-level each week? There is absolutely nothing intimidating about his personality and when an offensive-minded coach isn't putting points on the scoreboard... what exactly is he doing?

*Return game... if ARE is still returning punts, then it's proof that no one on the coaching staff is paying attention.

These are my top 5 takeaways, i would like to know what everyone else thinks. Of course, these are all just guesses, but all we have to work with is what we have seen in these 4 preseason games.

1) The offense has been catered to suit JC's strengths, its going to featuring I-Form play-action and more intermediate and vertical downfield passing

2) The OL looks better this year and can provide enough pass-protection to have a complete passing game including 5 and 7 step drops not just 3 step drops.

3) Devin and Malcolm are gonna get a chance to contribute

Malcolm makes tough catches look routine, Devin is fast as hell and runs like a mack truck

4) Landry might not be ready to become an elite FS

5) Orakpo/Wilson at SAM backer is gonna workout well

*Haynesworth really is a beast

1) Our drafts the last two seasons have been great. Kelly, Thomas, Davis, Horton, Orakpo, Jarmon, Mitchell, and Tryon was better in weeks 2 and 3 and got a pick tonight. Seriously, there's loads of possibility here, I think Dixon did a good job too.

2) Our offense looks ready to actually add to the team's effort to win, instead of try not to take away from it. JC doesn't look like he's trying not to lose instead of trying to win.

3) There were more chances taken downfield. In about 5 quarters of play the team took 6 shots, about 50/50 completion, which isn't good, but at least they're going to be spreading the field enough to stop people from loading the box.

4) The defensive pass coverage is dreadful. I'm extremely disappointed with the DBs, with the exception of Smoot, and Rogers (only cause he hasn't really played).

5) The DBs should be buying dinner for the front seven after every game because any success they have looks like it will be attributed to whether or not our DL can get pressure.

6) last one, Zorn looks like he has the team headed in the right direction, IMO.

I'm surprised to see so many people worried about the secondary this year.

Other than the man of glass Shawn Springs, who we WILL miss, we return the same guys with one more year of experience playing together. DeAngelo Hall, Carlos Rogers, Chris Horton, LaRon Landry, Reed Doughty (who has had a really good preseason as backup), Fred Smoot, Kareem Moore, it's early so I know I'm forgetting a couple people.

Yall need to go watch some tape from last year where our secondary was the ONLY thing good about our whole team, offense and defense. They won almost every game for us, and only lost games late after being on the field all game.

Our secondary will be fine. For how vanilla teams are on offense during preseason, it is much more vanilla (how vanilla can vanilla be!?!) for the D. These guys will perform at a high level all year and look ever better than last year with the DL's improvements. I really think the secondary is the last thing to worry about this year, although I wouldn't mind having Springs back for one more year, even if for only 6-8 games.

Here's what I take.

On the whole, we are the most improved team in the NFC East.

Philly gets 3 good offensive players (2 rookies), but loses their DC, their middle linebacker, and their starting safety --the brains of their D. They remain about the same overall quality...maybe a little worse.

NYG get more good rotation on D line (which they already had), lose Spags, D. Ward, and Burress (Nicks should come on). So, they remain the same, or a little worse.

Dallas didn't do anything. Same.

We improve our D line and receiving core significantly. We lose very little from last year. H. Smith will make a big difference. We improve more than anyone else from last year.

Good punter, good depth at QB, at RB, at WR, at TE, at D-line and at hybrid DE/LB.

Coaching looks solid -- not too rigid about insisting on 100% WCO -- giving Campbell passing plays that better fit his strengths.

To keep this a positive post thread, I'll forego my other take-aways for another day.

I think the biggest difference between Campbell last year and this year has been his receivers helping him out. He was not getting that last year much. If the ball was not perfect, the receivers were dropping it. So far in the preseason, if the ball has been off the mark a little, our receivers are going up and making a play and that is great to see. It builds Campbells confidence and it keeps drives alive. I do think his progressions are getting much better and he is getting the ball out more quickly as well which is in turn helping the offensive line. All around, I think this could turn out to be a dangerous offense as long as the line can hold up. That would be so great to see!

Here's what I take.

On the whole, we are the most improved team in the NFC East.

Philly gets 3 good offensive players (2 rookies), but loses their DC, their middle linebacker, and their starting safety --the brains of their D. They remain about the same overall quality...maybe a little worse.

NYG get more good rotation on D line (which they already had), lose Spags, D. Ward, and Burress (Nicks should come on). So, they remain the same, or a little worse.

Dallas didn't do anything. Same.

We improve our D line and receiving core significantly. We lose very little from last year. H. Smith will make a big difference. We improve more than anyone else from last year.

I think this is a very interesting way to look at it, and from a fan point of view, pretty honest. I wonder what the same kind of post would look like on another NFC East fan board? What gems do the other teams feel they have found this year to make them more improved over their losses?

Archived