Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I Gotta Have It" Electronics Thread (what electronics R 'must haves' this year?)

deejaydana

Its good but has a weak battery.

My little brother actually switched from ATT (iPhone) to Spring (Palm Pre) and even though at first he hated it, he has grown to love it and wouldnt switch back...he also says that the $30 less a month he has to pay since he is a college student is a plus :)

Those of you talking about the Kindle might want to wait for the second generation. Lots of problems were reported with the initial release in amazon.com and other review areas...whether it was the brightness (or lack of it) on the screen, the small library to choose from, or the fact that making the pages turn is a total pain in the ass.

I don't know when the second one is due for release, but I may look into it once it hits the shelves.

Ebook readers are going to be one of the bigger things to get innovated going forward. Most of them share their e-ink technology from a third-party, but right now content (leader is Amazon currently) and interface (I think other manufacturers like Sony have done better personally but this is just preference) are still works in progress.

The other big thing that I am enjoying right now is my Western Digital Media Player. I think one of the things that is going to enter the consumer mindset - maybe within the next year, at most two - is the idea that BluRay discs could be skipped almost completely.

Right now I think there are a lot of emerging and exciting technologies, but the killer implementation is still tantalizingly close but not quite there yet.

Zune HD

Great screen and the Zune UI has always been excellent. Now it has a touch interface.

The iRiver ebook reader looks absolutely amazing.

I probably won't end up with either of those devices for a while but I am going to be putting ATSC/Clear Qam tuners in my HTPC. Then I am going to be ditching TiVo. No more monthly fees and Windows Media Center is just as good anyway without ads. Plus I can use it as a HD Tuner for my HDTV that was purchased before they came with HD Tuners.

Archived