Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I Gotta Have It" Electronics Thread (what electronics R 'must haves' this year?)

deejaydana

OK,

I'm doing some market research (job AND personal related) and am trying to determine what are the hottest/most desired/most cutting edge consumer electronics for this year and next. For example, Vizio just came out w/their first ever BluRay player which looks interesting (though I don't always trust first generation versions from any maker).

So my question fellow Redskin audio/video/electro-philes:

What are the items for this holiday season that get you excited (TVs, monitors, cellphones, accessories, etc)?

What are the must have games, gaming systems, accessories?

What's out there that's set to take off? (I'd like to think Amazon's Kindle could grow wings but it still seems maybe a couple years off from being what it could be).

can you help me out here and contribute what you feel are the most desired electronics items for you?

Personally, I want an iPhone or one of the high end Android devices (like the Sony Ericsson Rachel). I think the iPhone has to be the hottest gadget out there right now among the general public and for at least the next year or so. Personally not a big Apple fan but until something comes out with as good web browsing abilities that would be my choice (sorry Palm Pre but your battery life killed my interest in you).

sony-ericsson-xperia-rachael-white.jpg

The other gadget I am lusting after is the PSP Go. I have a Nintendo DS that I love but the Go looks even more perfect. The digital distribution only is a major plus for me. Its just so small and pocketable that it would not make sense to have to carry around games and switch them out. The price is too high but maybe I can make an exception. Also, the games on the horizon look excellent.

white_psp-go-opena-med.jpg

For consoles, Modern Warfare 2 is clearly THE big game out this year. A potential sleeper hit has to be Uncharted 2, it cleaned up the Game of the Show awards at E3 and GamesCom and has the best graphics of any console game yet and a likable character, it really is like a playable action movie. The PS3 Slim also looks hot and is great value but I already have a PS3 so I don't care that much but I think this will be a big seller this fall.

EDIT: The Zune HD also looks really HOT! Much cooler than an iPod Touch because of OLED screen and awesome design. They need to make that into a phone. If/when they do that could be the next big thing.

zunehd-h-001.jpg

BlackBerry Storm 2. I know the first one was a flop, but people will go buy the Storm 2. Hopefully they improved upon the 1st Storm so this one should be better.

PS3 Slim. Can't decide if I want one or not. But its a great deal now for $299. Especially because most blu-ray players cost $200.

Blu-ray players. I think they will be the big sale items on Black Friday. HDTVs are starting to get cheaper so more people will want a blu-ray player to go with it.

Xbox 360 Elite. Not quite as good as the PS3 since it doesn't have blu-ray, but still a good deal at $299. If blu-ray isn't a deal breaker, a 360 is the way to go.

I am totally with you...the slim ps3 will be a nice addition to my other consoles and I just havent been interested in it until now. I figured it would happen given that they came out with a slim ps2 as well....also, the LED tvs are SICK!!! well I guess I cant generalize as I only have one friend with one, but the picture is pretty sweet.

Why would you need the Vizio blu ray when you can just use the PS3 :)

PS3 Slim and a LED TV :D

As far as a Vizio Blu Ray player, NOOOO THANKS.

I'll be in the market for a new cellphone as well. Either the Blackberry Storm II or the Palm Pre, not sure yet.

I am totally with you...the slim ps3 will be a nice addition to my other consoles and I just havent been interested in it until now. I figured it would happen given that they came out with a slim ps2 as well....also, the LED tvs are SICK!!! well I guess I cant generalize as I only have one friend with one, but the picture is pretty sweet.

Yeah, I only mentioned the Vizio blu ray because it's their first attempt to market one (I DO like their LCD TVs tho').

Try working in a TV department and having to sell them to other people while looking at them all day. If enough of your cheap ****ers spend some money on TVs this holiday season I may be able to buy one.

I think if anything, mine might be a TV. I still have a good old non-flatscreen, non-high def, non wide-screen box television that feels like it weighs a ton and takes up way too much room.

I have to admit, the idea of a wide-screen, high def something or other (I'm not really a T.V. lingo guy, as you can tell) is appealing, but I'd have to get a new entertainment center/tv table and I don't know much about HDMI cables and all that other crap. So I'll probably need to lean on Slacky.

Speaking of, I'd like a pet electronic Slacky. Like a furbee, only you give it beer until it passes out.

I think if anything, mine might be a TV. I still have a good old non-flatscreen, non-high def, non wide-screen box television that feels like it weighs a ton and takes up way too much room.

I have to admit, the idea of a wide-screen, high def something or other (I'm not really a T.V. lingo guy, as you can tell) is appealing, but I'd have to get a new entertainment center/tv table and I don't know much about HDMI cables and all that other crap. So I'll probably need to lean on Slacky.

Speaking of, I'd like a pet electronic Slacky. Like a furbee, only you give it beer until it passes out.

Just be warned when you get an HDTV, you are going to never want to watch a regular TV again! I have 2 big screen HDTV's and everyone elses picture quality and size makes me strain my eyes too much :silly:. Great investment though especially for football season!

Just be warned when you get an HDTV, you are going to never want to watch a regular TV again! I have 2 big screen HDTV's and everyone elses picture quality and size makes me strain my eyes too much :silly:. Great investment though especially for football season!

A lot of my friends have HDTV's by now. The only real issue for me is that it's hard to justify spending the money because I don't watch a ton of television. Mostly sports, but I go to every Skins home game. I'm sure my wife would love it, but if I'm going to lay out this much cash, I want some benefit as well.

Yeah... there's no real groundbreaking, unusual, or generally awesome new gadget out there at the moment. Just a lot of product maturation across the board.

The next thing will be 3D but its not ready for prime time yet. Today, Sony announced that it has ALREADY developed a number of 3D games but it is waiting for an industry standard to be agreed on before releasing these games:

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/09/02/sony-first-party-studios-developing-3d-games/

TVs and monitors that support 120hz video input can already do 3D with the $150 nVidia glasses system and the results are apparently excellent but there must be a better system to gain mass appeal. There are some nice impressions on the system here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370999

Apparently the 3D is coming NEXT YEAR, much earlier than I expected:

Sony has predicted that 3D TV will be ‘in every home’ by the end of 2010 – and that PlayStation 3 will become a key driver in for the technology.

Speaking at the at IFA technology trade show in Berlin, the electronics giant revealed that PS3 would be fully compatible with a range of 3D TVs it plans to roll out next year.

The Telegraph reports that Sir Howard Stringer, Sony’s chief executive (pictured), said 3D technology would be offered across the majority of its products.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35654/Sony-3D-TV-in-every-home-next-year

Archived