Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: 1st and 10 - Should Haynesworth have been penalized for the Brady hit?

TheShredder

Ok...As it is seen on video replay, AH drives Brady to the turf. Should that be a penalty???

I want to say "NO!"

The hit was in the flow of the game and if your line can't hold the pass rush and the QB gets hit, then it's called a knockdown. That's a stat. That is a legal hit and the ref got it right.

To what extent do we continue to make special rules for Tom Brady? We already have a low hit rule that came from that Brady hit in 07'. There was one in the game on Colt. I guess the NFL decided to protect the QB's knees and it's a rule now. So, do we make a new rule to protect Brady's shoulder now? What about his hip? or his "Johnson"?

Media is saying it's a flag and there should be a rule...What's the consensus?

HTTR

:logo::logo::logo::logo::logo::logo::logo::logo:

Ok...As it is seen on video replay, AH drives Brady to the turf. Should that be a penalty???

I want to say "NO!"

The hit was in the flow of the game and if your line can't hold the pass rush and the QB gets hit, then it's called a knockdown. That's a stat. That is a legal hit and the ref got it right.

To what extent do we continue to make special rules for Tom Brady? We already have a low hit rule that came from that Brady hit in 07'. There was one in the game on Colt. I guess the NFL decided to protect the QB's knees and it's a rule now. So, do we make a new rule to protect Brady's shoulder now? What about his hip? or his "Johnson"?

Media is saying it's a flag and there should be a rule...What's the consensus?

HTTR

:logo::logo::logo::logo::logo::logo::logo::logo:

It was a hit. There was no flag and there shouldn't have been. You're absolutely right that this was a story because it was Brady, but they aren't going to make a new rule for this. To be honest, though, the rule that would've protected Brady last year should've been in effect for a long time.

If it didn't happen to Brady, we wouldn't even be talking about this right now (please excuse the double-negative). I'll bet anything it directly led to the penalty last night against Chicago when Orton got hit no worse than I've ever seen any QB get hit.

The refs calls sucked all night for the Skins and the Pats, They looked lost. But to answer your question NO that should not have been a penalty. Football is not a sissy sport.

I really hope they are just shaking off the rust from the offseason, because this ENTIRE preseason has been full of horrible calls.

If it didn't happen to Brady, we wouldn't even be talking about this right now (please excuse the double-negative). I'll bet anything it directly led to the penalty last night against Chicago when Orton got hit no worse than I've ever seen any QB get hit.

It's sad and completely, true. ANY other QB and we wouldn't hear all this commotion.

I mentioned this in a similar thread: watch the Redskins' first drive. Jason Campbell takes a very similar hit from the opposite side. Nobody thinks the lineman should have been flagged or fined that play--including me. Why should Tom Brady get special protection from the referees or the league?

Easy. He shouldn't. Play football, you sissy girl.

Holy ****, are they being serious? That hit was absolutely clean- not even a topic for debate.

People who are saying the only reason this is being discussed is because it was Tom Brady are absolutely right. Can you see them discussing whether or not this should have been a flag if Jon Kitna was seen rotating his shoulder on the sideline? I don't think so.

****ing media. Idiots, all of them. Except Lindsey Soto. She's hot.

I mentioned this in a similar thread: watch the Redskins' first drive. Jason Campbell takes a very similar hit from the opposite side. Nobody thinks the lineman should have been flagged or fined that play--including me. Why should Tom Brady get special protection from the referees or the league?

Easy. He shouldn't. Play football, you sissy girl.

I think we should pitch in and buy Brady a yellow dress for game day.

To make this simple, they need a 2 step rule to hit the QB. As big as defensive linemen are, they can't stop on a dime, it's common sense. So if their within 2 steps or less, it's a legal hit, if they take over 2 steps, throw the flag.

The hit was legal, it's a contact sport, and it's that simple to decide if it should be flagged or not.

Archived