Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help design my new DELL

Buddha

I use a 17" flat panel here at work and a 19" flat panel at home. They are both made by Samsung and I absolutely love them. If I were to suggest anything to you I would suggest that you pick up a flat screen with the system or just buy the system without the monitor and pick one up online. I got my 19" Samsung 191T @ newegg.com for about $650. You just can't go wrong with the clarity and picture quality of these monitors. The only downside to them that I have seen is a lack of response time which will only show up if you do a lot of gaming and as I remember you aren't really into that anyway. Good luck with they system and have fun!

As far as image quality goes on a flat panel - keep in mind that they usually have one resolution setting that will give you the best image - and the ones you saw at Best Buy or other retailers may not have been running in their native mode.

I have a Dell 1800FP (18.1" flat panel) with DVI and unless I run it @ 1280 x 1024, the image is going to look fuzzy. At 1280 x 1024, text is incredibly sharp, and graphics are bright and colorful. I love it...I couldn't go back to a CRT.

I do a lot of photo editing on it and the colors are reproduced accurately.

I have a Dell 8250 - 2.4Ghz P4, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128MB - sweetest video card for the money. I've been more than happy with it.

At work, we are a Dell shop - everything from PowerEdge servers for our SQL and Oracle databases and internet appliances to Dimension desktops and Inspiron laptops. Their service has been very good.

Originally posted by Buddha

I'm still set on a Dell. I enjoy mocking my coworker and the problems he has with his custom-made machine, and don't want to let him turn the tables on me. I would really feel uncomfortable without that corporate warranty as my safety net.

Using one of Dell's special discount programs for government employees, I'm hitting around $2200 for an 8300 with a 17" flat panel monitor (very similar to the one Johnny Punani spekked out). I'm probably going to back off of the flat panel though-- after checking out some of the models at Best Buy and Circuit City, I'm not real impressed with the picture quality. I'll probably take the plunge in August and watch for their best combination of free upgrades. I'd still like to go for their XPS, but they are still charging too much for it.

Hey Buddha,

I've got a year old Dell Inspiron 8100 desktop replacement (has all the features of a desktop, but can also be used as a laptop. I love mine...really a great machine. Can't speak to Dell's customer service as I've really never had to utilize it. Nice thing about my desktop replacement is that I've fitted my older desktop (daughter uses it now) with a cable router and a linksys wireless transmitter and after putting in a wireless card I'm mobile with my Dell. I'm usually sitting in the living room or somewhere more comfortable when I'm online. Thats a great benefit I really enjoy. Anyway, wouldn't let folks scare you off from Dell....no doubt the techno-gifted here could build a sweet system for 1/2 of what it will cost you, but unless you're friends with one of these folks, you'd be out there in the breeze if you had major problems. I've been very satisfied with my Dell for what its worth.

Originally posted by Buddha

I'm probably going to back off of the flat panel though-- after checking out some of the models at Best Buy and Circuit City, I'm not real impressed with the picture quality.

I would reconsider, currently I am working with the 17 inch flat screen and the quality is awesome. The ones at circuit city may have had bad video cards in them so they didn't look as good normally. The other great advantage of the flat screen is the space, trust me you would love it since it is small compared to those thick monitors.

Archived