Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is a Poll brought to you by Dean Howard

Sho-nuff

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030702/wl_mideast_afp/us_iraq_opinion_030702080437

WASHINGTON (AFP) - For the first time since the beginning of the war in Iraq (news - web sites), a solid majority of Americans believe the Bush administration either "stretched the truth" about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction or told outright lies, according to a new opinion survey.

The poll by the University of Maryland found that 52 percent of respondents said they believed President George W. Bush (news - web sites) and his aides were "stretching the truth, but not making false statements" about Iraqi president Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s chemical, biological and nuclear programs.

Another 10 percent said US officials were presenting Congress, the American public and the international community "evidence they knew was false," indicated the survey which was made public Tuesday.

Only 32 percent said they thought the government was being "fully truthful" about the Iraqi arsenal.

The weapons of mass destruction -- as well as the Iraqi government's alleged ties to the al-Qaeda terrorist group -- which the administration claimed represented an immediate threat to the Unites States, served as the chief rationale for launching the March 20 invasion of the country.

But more than three months since the start of the war, US troops have yet to find any of the suspected weapons.

Similarly, 56 percent of those polled believed the US government stretched the truth or made outright false statements about Hussein's ties to al-Qaeda.

The nationwide survey of 1,051 people was conducted from June 18 to 25 and had a margin of error of 3.5 percent.

If it did turn out to be a deliberate lie (I don't think it was. More likely a deliberate exaggeration, the truth as they knew it, the actual truth, or a possible truth that they jumped on)... Which was worse... Clinton's lie in which he committed perjury or Bush's in which thousands of lives were lost?

I think there was exageration, and I think it was deliberate. That's why we have yet to make seezing the WMD a priority. It made some good press though when it came to swaying the public opinion.

As for the lie being from the whole world...well, the rest of the world didn't think the intel was good enough to act on, and they portrayed it as such. Our administration did not.

Yeah the whole world the UN and Iraq themselves must have been lying for almost 20 years and Israel really didnt bomb a nuke facility it was a baby milk factory since those mid eastern well endowed babes over there werent nursing in public when I was there they just used their breasts to keep baby ali sky hook quiet.

And those cahces of Chemical suits found are there when they spray for bugs, yeah thats it :doh:

And those cahces of Chemical suits found are there when they spray for bugs, yeah thats it

Yeah, they couldn't possibly have those because we have chemical weapons.

Those suits are clearly a threat against us.

larry....I have been in the mil for 20 years and in the ME many times (often at very senior staff levels) and never once worked or seen in the planning process chem weapons. so, once again, folks who do nothing have their proverbial heads up their arses when attempting to ground everything in moral equivocation. you are so far gone it is beyond the pail. and an insult to every member of the armed forcees who has been in that part of the world and knows what a real threat is.

Those were NEW chem suits. Heck they were on par with the ones we had.

Anyone want to drink water from the Euphretes?

Just a matter of time when they are found.

And if you wanna snivel about how long we'll be there why not b1tch and moan about my troops still in Bosnia and Kosovo since 95 when this is a mess Europe should handle

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

And yet what are people trying to say? Saddam Huessien should have remained in power and tormented his people for another generation

I believe what we are trying to say is that we would prefer accurate information whne making our decisions. We'dprefer not to be lied/exagerated to when it comes to information used to justify sending our troops into combat.

Then we can make better informed decisions. Are we saying we're unhappy Sadam is out of power? no

Are there other more egrigous violaters of human rights if that is the only criteria we are using to go to war? Probably. One such in the current news is Liberia. If it's not about WMD, why would we invade Iraq instead ofany one of a number of countries where brutal dictators are present and acting horribly towards their population?

When it came to taxes, I asked if you are in favor of a tax cut, why this tax cut over another tax cut like capital gains. Not many good economic reasons were given, but people were in favor of "any tax cut." Now it's the war, and I have to ask if you are in favor of removing dictators who opress their people and savage them, why Iraq over say Liberia? The answer was WMD. That's why we care. It's the reason for the war in Iraq as apposed to somewhere else.

the beauty of your answer is that it absolves you of any responsibility the next time a similar problem arises: "well, we in our righteous minds believe we were lied to previously, so I just don't know if those WMDs are there or not. I just don't know if those biochem weapons are there or not. can't go along given what I think happened previously."

meanwhile...people die! but, as I have stated elsewhere, I don't much care anymore. the social contract is over. everything is now get what you can....there is no longer any measuring rod. just a clash of wills and ends. that is where we are. if none of you see this...then you need to wake from your judicially driven reveries.

Archived