Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Athletes Remembered for One Play

Flowtrain

This dude is clueless :

jayrad01

Posted: Jun 30 2003, 07:36 PM

First he quoted this dude :

QUOTE (JetsD-Mastermind @ Jun 30 2003, 06:43 PM)

DT/DE Leon Lett running a fumble in for a touchdown against the bills, then he was acting like a jerk, dancing into the endzone, and right before he did it, the little man with blazing speed WR Jon Bebe of the bills knocked it out, and the bills recovered.

Then Jayrad's reply :

I thought that the Leon Lett fiasco happened against the fish? Was it on Thanks Giving Day against the fish? Either way he's a bone head!

Somebody tell him Leon Lett made TWO bonehead plays to go down in history.

That would be Don Beebe :)

If you wanna throw some Redskins in there....

1) Joe Theismann getting his leg broken by Lawrence Taylor.

2) John Riggins 4th and 1 run versus Miami in Super Bowl 17.

In so far as most NFL fans would recall.

The nitty gritty run by Earl Campbell against the Dolphins, torn jersey, hit from every angle, fighting and pushing, grinding and churning those legs like pistons!

Also the Ahmad Rashad reception.

Also, Also - The Alvin Garrett catch and run on national t.v. MNF that sealed Howard Cosell's last season on MNF, thanks to untimely comment.

Jack Tatum and Darryll Stingly will both be remembered mostly for their ill-fated collision in 1979.

Another Redskin ... Timmy Smith. I guess there was more than one play there, though.

As good as he was for so long ... Jim Marshall is remembered for his wrong-way run.

Clint Longley (ugh!)

Refrigerator Perry scoring a TD.

Tom Dempsey making a 63-yard field goal.

Scott Norwood missing a 47-yard field goal.

Dwight Clark making The Catch.

Despite a long pro career, Doug Flutie will always be remembered for The Pass.

Good thread, Flow.

BTW, I watched that Dallas-Miami game on Long Island with my rabid Jet-fan inlaws. I've been around a long time. but even I learned a few new words when the Fish won the game.:laugh: It was not a pretty sight in that house.

I think guys like Jim Marshall are remembered for mor than his wrong way run.. he played i think 270 straight games without ever missing one, and was an integral part of the Purple people eaters defensive line that carried the Vikings into a few Super Bowls.

In the Jets thread they mention LT being remembered for the Theismann play.. but shoot,,, LT is remembered for a LOT more than that.

here's a true one hit wonder... Cowboys WR Percy Howard,, who's ONLY career reception was a 35 YD bomb TD from Staubach in Super Bowl 10.

Or Cowboys S Larry Brown, who was basically handed a ring and an MVP by Neil O'Donnell.

~Bang

I've got one that I didn't see posted. A guy I'll always love and remember for one key hit -- Francisco Cabrera. Knocked in Sid Bream in the bottom of the 9th in game 7 against the Pirates. It's all he ever did but he will never be forgotten by Braves fans. That was one of the greatest momenst in my sports watching history. Braves went into the 9th down 2 runs I believe and ended up winning it. What a great game. I still get chills thinking about it. Of course they went on to lose in a great WS to the Twins b/c of Lonnie Smith failing to score on a double from second in game 7. There's another guy I'll always remember for one play, just not in a good way.

this is off-NFL, but how about Dan Jansen finally winning a gold medal at the Olympics after falling or fading in 5 or 6 straight races over 3 Olympiads? :)

there was a sigh of relief when he won that medal from everybody I was watching the Games with that year, irrespective of country or rooting interest..................

hrm people say jordan is remembered for his shots... but if you really think about it.... since jordan had so many memorable moments its really the players he made that shots over are the ones that get nailed down one moment... like Bryon Russel in the final and prolly one of the most overplayed jordan moment is his shot over i think Craig Ehlo (eck spelling is wrong but its that cavs guy)

the biggest point about that play Riggo-Toni, is that if Bass had NOT made the INT and run it back, the Redskins would forever be linked to a horrible NFL trivia question:

which was the only NFL team to be shut out in a Super Bowl :(

BTW, when I review that game tape of SB VII vs. the Dallas championship game, it is evident how flat the Redskins were that Super Sunday. The game was played very closely despite the Dolphins scoring 14 points in the first half. ANY play by the Redskins in the first half on the numerous opportunities they had and this game could easily have gone the other way.

It is telling that afterward, Don Shula said to Sonny Jurgensen with a smile that if he had been able to play in the second half (in relief as he had during the regular season) the Dolphins would probably have had to sweat out every one of those last 30 minutes :)

That was in stark contrast to the Redskins/Raiders Super Bowl in Tampa, where the Redskins were so badly outclassed that day you were merely hoping for the end of regulation and the merciful end of something painful and agonizing.

Agreed Bulldog.

After hearing about how Allen handled the whole game it's pretty obvious he deserved the criticism he got about not being able to win the big one. I often wonder what might have happened if Sonny had been healthy and played that game.

By the way, if there were any justice in this world, Randy Moss should foever be remembered for dropping that beautiful pass in the endzone from Cunningham in the NFC title game, denying one of the most exciting QBs ever his one shot at a SB. Of course, Moss always chokes in the playoffs...:doh:

Two for you...

Steve Young's miraculous long run in which he must have broken 10+ tackles...

And for you baseball fans...Ray Fosse getting the crap knocked out of him by Pete Rose in the All Star collision at home plate...Fosse never truly recovered from that hit...

Oh...one more...that I will always remember (:()...Mike Vick saving Tech's undefeated season with a 40 yard scamper to set up a last minute game winning FG against WVU...not as bad as the infamous blocked punt by Miami to win over WVU...but still something I will always remember Vick for...

Archived