Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

this 15 play drive everyone keeps referencing...

tshile

Look, I'm a pro-campbell/zorn guy, and anyone who has read my posts realizes I'm overly optimistic about the redskisn this season (maybe even every season?)

That being said, I'm not completely ignorant to the facts.... like it would apear most of the local media is.

They keep touting this 15 play opening drive of the steelers game as some 'sign of life', or improvement, or part of 'things to come' from this offense.

Is it just me, or does it seem a little ridiculous how much credit this drive is getting from the media/zorn? This drive... this 15 play 'good' drive, was only a 15 play drive because zorn called a fake punt on 4th and 10....

which, by the way, would never ever be called in a regular season game.

Up until this point, it was 3 straight incomplete passes by campbell. Following the fake punt, campbell had his only completion of the night. (although, if they had gone 3 and out I would hope zorn would have kept him in until he at least completed a pass... and what would have happened on another drive attempt is completely unpredictable.).

Just curious what others think, or if you've even noticed, this.

Not trying to be down on the skins at all, I think they'll be fine this season - just sick of the (over) play this '15 play drive' is getting....

edit: sorry if this has been discussed to death already. i missed it if it was.

I thought we did ok last year moving the ball around. We just couldnt do anything with it and once again we proved that against the steelers. I think we can move the ball against some of the better defenses, but when we get in the red zone as we have done for years, we stall. Thats where the real problem lays in my opinion. Whether they hype is warranted or not, the stall at the end deserves all the scrutiny it gets.

the drive was pretty indicative of what this team can do. campbell throws 3 times, all incompletions. the drive is then saved by an awesome play (that i agree, we'll never call in a regular game) and then we just ran the rest of the way. then when it got tight and zorn wouldnt let campbell throw, he throws betts in there, and we have the giants game in 07.

there were no signs of life from this drive other than the obvious: our run game is still good, our passing game is total garbage.

I thought we did ok last year moving the ball around. We just couldnt do anything with it and once again we proved that against the steelers. I think we can move the ball against some of the better defenses, but when we get in the red zone as we have done for years, we stall. Thats where the real problem lays in my opinion. Whether they hype is warranted or not, the stall at the end deserves all the scrutiny it gets.

Two words:

Marko Mitchell :)

the drive was pretty indicative of what this team can do. campbell throws 3 times, all incompletions. the drive is then saved by an awesome play (that i agree, we'll never call in a regular game) and then we just ran the rest of the way. then when it got tight and zorn wouldnt let campbell throw, he throws betts in there, and we have the giants game in 07.

there were no signs of life from this drive other than the obvious: our run game is still good, our passing game is total garbage.

I agree. I think we should put Collins in...what say you?

Two words:

Marko Mitchell :)

Oh believe me dude I hear those words LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!! I love any 6'4 reciever that can catch the ball, as I said in one of the other threads. MK is tall too but to injury prone. Marko deserves a roster spot and not just cause he had one TD catch either but because he his big and can catch.

This drive... this 15 play 'good' drive, was only a 15 play drive because zorn called a fake punt on 4th and 10....

No...it was a 15 play drive because Zorn called a fake punt...and because Portis was running really well...and because the line was blocking decently...and because Campbell connected on 3rd down twice in a row (the first time being nullified by penalty)...and because Campbell scrambled after Portis once again saved a definite sack from becoming a definite sack...

Let's not act like everything that occurred after the fake punt was irrelevant simply because of the fake punt. All of those things were indeed "signs of life" for the 1st string offense, especially going up against such a great defense...and especially after pretty much showing zero signs of life the week earlier when going up yet another great defense. All of that should be recognized instead of ridiculed away.

Archived