Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

620wtmj: Things Are Bigger In Texas, Including Stupidity

tr1

By Bill Michaels

http://www.620wtmj.com/sports/billmichaels/54747187.html

When Jerry Jones built his Taj Mahal in Arlington, he spared no expense, $1.2 billion…with a “B” to be exact. He desired the biggest and the best ever. The capability to accommodate the most fans, the most suites, bars, restaurants, the biggest dome and the biggest football city that will eventually make up the Cowboys compound. In addition, Jones’ vision included the largest Hi-Def video screen ever to be placed into a stadium setting. He succeeded; his stadium is state of the art with all of the amenities. It has just ooooonnnnneeeeee littttttttllllleeeee glitttchhhh….the video boards in the damn way!

CowboysVideoScreen.jpg

The bottom of the world’s largest video screen hangs only 90 feet above the playing surface and punters have already hit this monstrosity. Oops, do over! Jones’ excuse, “The NFL approved it”.

Bill Polian, the Indianapolis Colts owner ran across the same conundrum when they were building the new Lucas Oil stadium. He had an I-beam placed 90 feet above the playing surface and brought his punter in to give it a whirl. Low and behold the Colts punter nailed the beam 50% of the time. Polian then decided to move the video board, out of the way to the upper sides of the stadium; what a novel idea.

Jones meanwhile has remained obstinate in saying, “I’m not moving it”. If the Cowboys owner DID decide to move the monster board, it would cost about $10 million, a mere pittance when it comes to this overall structure. So why not move it? "It might even be an advantage for us to work in there enough to where we have a feel for where the ball is and seeing it with the screen up there and all those things," Cowboys head coach, Wade Phillips stated. "It would be good for us if we had some kind of advantage that way." While it may mean a home field advantage for the Cowboys, the real reason that Jones won’t move the video boards is simply obstinance. Jones’ board wouldn’t be as viewable to everyone if he raised them 10 to 15 feet. The NFL approved them and that’s the way they’re staying, that’s the argument and he’s sticking to it.

To have video boards be such an obstacle is one of the greater engineering blunders since the Yankees were blown away at the amount of home runs being hit in their self-indulged palace. Jet streams, air pockets, wind funnels….who knew. Duhhhhhh! To be honest, I have no problems with home ruins being hit. It makes the games more exciting. But to have punts being swatted down, like fat flies too obese to dart away from the giant video board hands, that’s just a gigantic error in judgment.

Hard to disagree with this idiocy.

I have a problem with the NFL for not creating are more reasonable minimum. I have a bigger problem with Jerry for no recognizing the idiocy of the NFL and for not correcting the problem before it even became a problem.

And what is this thing about $10 million to move it??? It's on a cable/pulley system, if I am not mistaken. Are they going to contract the labor out to people from space?

I don't know why, but everytime I see that scoreboard, I get an extremely uneasy feeling that it's not as secure as it should be....I pray to God that I'm one million percent wrong.

I don't pray to God that it won't fall, just that when it does it is in the middle of the night and the cleaning crew is not under it at the time. :D

I have heard talking heads say that they feel that Jerry loves all the attention that this is garnering the stadium, the Cowboys, and himself. However, I feel that there is such a thing as bad press, and that he is better off getting this thing fixed. Here's hoping that he does just that, but I'm not holding my breath....

I don't know why, but everytime I see that scoreboard, I get an extremely uneasy feeling that it's not as secure as it should be....I pray to God that I'm one million percent wrong.
had the same thought, myself
I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

Add me to that list. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw it hanging up there...

Too bad the NFL screwed this one up by approving the scoreboard.

You're right. Fortunately for the league, the Colt's Bill Polian had the common sense to test their idea of having a low hanging video screen before their stadium was built. If not, the league would have two laughing stocks right now.

Thanks to Jerry, that title is held solely by the Cowboys.

The falling scoreboard would not be the first

The Charlotte Coliseum had it happen...

The day after the dedication, the United States olympic basketball team was scheduled to play an exhibition game at the Coliseum. While preparing for the event, the multi-million dollar scoreboard was being repositioned when it struck the ceiling and crashed to the floor, destroying both it and the basketball court it landed on (an alternate floor was brought from Cricket Arena in time for the game that night).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Coliseum

Agreed. If I were a player or coach or ref, I'd be really scared about being underneath that thing. :(

I have had the same thought. Thinking of karma and all that IF anything was to go wrong with that stadium it would have to be that monstrous scoreboard. If I was playing under that thing I would definately look up every once in a while and any groaning or creaking metallic sounds I would be hauling my tail off that field.

Archived