Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Rose no closer to baseball reinstatement 20 years into ban

Toe Jam

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Link

(CNN) -- It's one of the great ironies in all of sports: Pro baseball's career hitting leader is not in baseball's Hall of Fame.

On Monday, 20 years to the day Pete Rose signed an agreement with Major League Baseball banning him from the sport, he is no closer to being reinstated

In that agreement, Rose, accused of betting on MLB games while he managed the Cincinnati Reds, was "declared permanently ineligible in accordance with Major League Rule 21."

click link for rest of article

I think the big reason he's still banned is that he kept lying for so long. The bottom line is that the man should definitely be in the HOF. He's still the holder of an incredible record (most career hits). The guy was the personification of the word "hustle", in more ways than one ;).

I think lying about using steroids, which has a direct effect on the game itself, is much more despicable than what Rose did. Rose never bet against the team he coached for. If he did bet against the Reds, sure, that's a reason to ban somebody for good. But nothing he gambled on had an effect on the outcome of games. He bet ON his team, and tried to win every game. He broke the rules, but he didn't cheat.

He bet ON his team, and tried to win every game. He broke the rules, but he didn't cheat.

I strongly disagree. Betting on his team changed the way he managed. He could overuse pitchers in games he bet on and he would use personnel differently if he was not going to bet on the Reds the next day.

I think the big reason he's still banned is that he kept lying for so long. The bottom line is that the man should definitely be in the HOF. He's still the holder of an incredible record (most career hits). The guy was the personification of the word "hustle", in more ways than one ;).

I think lying about using steroids, which has a direct effect on the game itself, is much more despicable than what Rose did. Rose never bet against the team he coached for. If he did bet against the Reds, sure, that's a reason to ban somebody for good. But nothing he gambled on had an effect on the outcome of games. He bet ON his team, and tried to win every game. He broke the rules, but he didn't cheat.

I agree with this. If he just would've come clean about it, he'd be in by now. But he kept lying about it and finally decided to tell the truth when he was coming out with a book about it all. I think he should be in personally. Same with Shoeless Joe Jackson. If you're going to let players from the Steroids Era in, you have to let those 2 in. How is betting on a game any different than taking steroids to get better?

Betting on sports is the Cardinal rule. In no way shape or form can gambling even begin to be allowed into any sport. It throws the integrity of the entire game into question. His ban is fair.

For those who try to say he only bet ON his team, who cares. The fact is he bet, and that is the one thing in sports that is unforgivable. For those who say we don't know if he bet as a player... I laugh at that.

Pete Rose is a liar. He has lied about his gambling since day one, and only came clean after nearly 20 years of claiming to be innocent. A gambler is a gambler, and a liar is a liar. They don't change. The fact that people want to accept Rose at his WORD that he didn't bet as a player is a joke. For those folks, I can get you a great deal on a bridge up in NYC. Almost new.

Put Pete in the day he dies.

~Bang

To the OP, is it fair? Considering the number of cases of steroid abuse that have been found in the last 10 years and how the league seems to still act like those guys should be eligible for the HOF even though their performance (which is what the HOF should be recognizing) came from a source other than their own hard work, determination and natural ability, I say NO its not fair, its hypocritical and it seems more like a vendetta from the Commish against a single player.

Rose bet on baseball, he's admitted to it (albeit belated) but his performance on the field was natural; if the Commissioner allows for players like Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire to be eligible for the HOF and still holds Rose's ban then he's a hypocrite. What's more is that I don't even like Pete Rose, but I dislike the steroid users more.

This issue becomes too muddled. He DOESNT deserve to be reinstated. But he certainly belongs in the HOF. I heard on one show that there is more memorabilia dealing with him in the Hall than any other player.

What needs to change is the stupid rule that the HOF (not connected in any way with MLB) has regarding eligibility.

It's really an easy fix.

Rose was willing to accept a life-time ban so that the details of how he gambled weren't released. He must have done some bad things.

I disagree. Rose knew gambling on baseball meant a life time ban, so he denied he did it for a decade. Rose got the life time ban cause the comisioner evaluated the evidence and decided without Roses confession that he had done it.... Rose has since confessed.

As a huge Pete Rose Fan who grew up watching him as a fan of the Big Red Machine; Rose has only himself to blame. At every opproduntiy Rose has been given to show contrition; Rose has chosen another direction. The last time was when Rose released his bok two days before the HoF induction of a couple of players who saw their day overshadowed by his stink.

I say we let Shoeless Joe Jackson in, and keep Rose out for another few decades.

Let the guy in already. He was one of the best that ever did it. Baseball is so stupid, by continuing to let people debate these things. Let them go and we wont even be talking about that, we will be talking about how great the game is. His gambling will be an afterthought.

Nobody in the HoF was ever convicted of betting on baseball. Rose isn't banned because he was a jerk, Rose was banned cause he compromised the integrity of the game.
True, but beating up a fan is worse than gambling IMO.

Nobody in the HoF was ever convicted of betting on baseball. Rose isn't banned because he was a jerk, Rose was banned cause he compromised the integrity of the game.

Then on that basis keep out every player who ever tested positive for steroids, and remove the Home Run Record* and place it back to where it was. Steroids has compromised the integrity of the game to a far greater extent than Rose ever did.

Close the thread.

Asbury is dead on...almost.

The game allowed steroids.

Well they didn't exactly "allow" them, they just didn't do anything to stop them and as such the League compromised the game by in-action and yet that is apparently ignored, and somehow Rose is a greater villain, sorry but I find it hard to believe that Rose compromised the game more than steroids ever did. How sad is it that I had to explain to my 7 year old why Manny wasn't allowed to play for 50 games, how sad is it that every time I think of Mark McGwire's line drive home run just clearing the wall at Busch Stadium I'll also remember why that ball cleared the wall. Keep the 'roiders out, put Rose in.

Well they didn't exactly "allow" them, they just didn't do anything to stop them and as such the League compromised the game by in-action and yet that is apparently ignored, and somehow Rose is a greater villain, sorry but I find it hard to believe that Rose compromised the game more than steroids ever did. How sad is it that I had to explain to my 7 year old why Manny wasn't allowed to play for 50 games, how sad is it that every time I think of Mark McGwire's line drive home run just clearing the wall at Busch Stadium I'll also remember why that ball cleared the wall. Keep the 'roiders out, put Rose in.

And we agree. Forgive and forget. Steroids (debatable) did have a bigger impact on the game than Rose gambling, and may have compromised the game even more. Let Rose in.

The "somebody else is getting away with something worse" argument is lame. At best, that's an argument for addressing the "somebody else".

He bet on baseball. He should be banned.

You never played in an office pool ?

Betting on sports is the Cardinal rule.

I disagree. Yes, saying that betting on sports is the Cardinal rule is what we've heard in the past, but I like to think up my own "sports-sin ranking system." Number 1 is cheating. Corked bats, steroid use, doctoring balls. If I was a player and found out a person did any of those things, I'd be much more pissed off compared to if they bet on games.

In no way shape or form can gambling even begin to be allowed into any sport. It throws the integrity of the entire game into question. His ban is fair.

I agree that keeping gambling out of the picture is a must, but I don't think his ban is fair. Manny gets a mere 50 games for taking something that is illegal for drastically improving athletic performance, and Rose gets banned FOR LIFE?! It makes no sense to me. Taking illegal performance enhancers is worse than gambling in the manner Pete did, IMO.

For those who try to say he only bet ON his team, who cares. The fact is he bet, and that is the one thing in sports that is unforgivable. For those who say we don't know if he bet as a player... I laugh at that.

Pete Rose is a liar. He has lied about his gambling since day one, and only came clean after nearly 20 years of claiming to be innocent. A gambler is a gambler, and a liar is a liar. They don't change. The fact that people want to accept Rose at his WORD that he didn't bet as a player is a joke. For those folks, I can get you a great deal on a bridge up in NYC. Almost new.

Put Pete in the day he dies.

~Bang

Again, I think this "mystique" surrounding this ultra-cardinal rule that is betting on a sport while you're involved in it has gotten a little too far out of our perspectives. You're entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion I think there are far worse things that players have done that are lacing up the cleats as we speak. We listen to their BS excuses and laugh at them, saying, "yeah right, A-Rod", but we listen to Rose's BS and downright scold him. It makes no sense!

It's like people LOVE to hold this grudge because it's a one of a kind deal.

The "somebody else is getting away with something worse" argument is lame. At best, that's an argument for addressing the "somebody else".

He bet on baseball. He should be banned.

That's my point, be consistent with it if Rose is going to be banned then there should be zero steroid users in the HOF...ever.

I know. And we have his record breaking home run on VHS somewhere. I remember watching it.

Archived