Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Om Field: Redskins vs Steelers Review - QB Jason Campbell

Om

Redskins vs Steelers Review - QB Jason Campbell

August 24, 2009

Coming off a solid-but-forgettable debut against the Baltimore Ravens last week, Redskins starting QB Jason Campbell had an opportunity against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday night to take the proverbial bull by the horns.

A good performance against the defending champions would have gone a long way toward quieting the growing undercurrent of concern among Redskins fans that Jason Campbell may not be The Man for The Job in 2009.

Going 1-for-7 for 10 yards, and engineering just three points, was probably not what he had in mind.

Since numbers alone rarely tell the whole story, however … I reviewed his plays again and tried to look a little deeper.

On the first play of the game, Campbell got good protection from his offensive line and went deep to a streaking Malcolm Kelly, who had gotten behind Steelers super-safety Troy Polamalu, on a deep post. Campbell’s pass was under thrown (as much as a tight spiral that travels 60 yards in the air can be) and off line, however, forcing Kelly to slow and adjust his route back toward the center of the field and allowing Polamalu to catch up and knock the pass away.

After the game, Campbell admitted being surprised by Kelly’s speed, a statement that initially raised my eyebrows. Given time to reflect, perhaps it should better serve as a reminder as to how little actual game time the two have working together.

"It was close,” said Kelly. “The crazy thing, though, is that me and Jason never practiced that route all week long. The first time we ran it was in the game. We'll get it done, though—we'll complete it next time."

Time will tell ...

CLICK HERE to read more

Thanks once again for taking the time for another good read OM.

However. Isn't it telling that we have to literally dissect every single pass pass attempt by a 5th year QB?

Yes. Hard to believe there's a market for that in preseason, isn't it? :cool:

However. Isn't it telling that we have to literally dissect every single pass pass attempt by a 5th year QB?

Good point King, and then everybody gets all excited when he completes just 1 pass and spins it as though JC is showing progression. Oh yeah, I forgot about his improvement on his footwork in the pocket, as somebody mentioned in an earlier post.

Good post OM but I think we have gotten about as much out of JC as we are going to get. A 5th year QB and he's playing like a sophomore in High School.

Going 1-for-7 for 10 yards, and engineering just three points, was probably not what he had in mind.

What really bothers me OM is Jason would of had 0 points if we didn't fake the punt and keep the drive alive. We went 3 and out until that fake punt, and Portis and our running game was the reason we got inside the 5 yard line. This is a serious problem this team has, and it will cost us games and the season if we don't get this thing together.

As I stated in another post, we don't need a superstar at QB, we have a very good team and dangerous weapons at the WR and RB position. All we need is a good QB who can get these receivers the ball, and this team can take that next step and win the East, even another Super Bowl with the defense we have.

QB's like Jim Mcmahon, who are just average quarterbacks have won Super Bowls because of the team and talent around him. Joe Flacco a rookie, takes his team to the AFC Championship game. Again just a good QB and no Superstar, but wins because he does his part, and his offense is able to do theirs because of it. This team is one position short of being a beast again, and that is the quarterback position.

Jason Campbell is obviously having a hard time just getting his receivers the ball, and that is killing an offense that has the potential to score in the mid 20's and even 30 points a game. We have an experienced QB who has already taken this team with half the talent at WR to the playoffs. He's not a superstar, and doesn't have to be.

But he is a very good and solid QB who can move this offense and get them into the endzone, something Jason Campbell is having a hard time doing. If JC continues his scoring droubt this next preseason game, I think it's time to turn the reigns over to Todd. Again, all this team needs is a good QB who can get the ball to his receivers, and we will be a force again in the NFC East and NFL. I really don't care which QB does it, just get it done!

i'm worried ...

as a staunch JC supporter, i'm worried.

with just scanning preseason numbers this year and last, QB's that are good to elite typically do well in preseason games, some flat out kill it. Cutler and Brees last year were going nuts in the presesaon and we saw the season they went on to have.

it just seems from a gut/intuitive feeling that JC does not instill a lot of confidence when he drops back. He reminds me of a big home run, swing for the fence hitter ...he either has an incompletion or a 15 yard bullet on a crossing route...no in between. no soft dump offs after getting chased out of the pocket, no shovel passes on a broken play, no rainbow deep balls (see Hasslebacks TD this last weekend...WHAT A RAINMAKER.)

i'm starting to run on a little bit of blind faith with #17, that and the great articles like Bubba's, OM's and the author of "Campbell Haters Beware." ...

i hope he proves all these HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE "fans" on this great site wrong. I do ... but after Sat it got a little harder to imagine how he is going to do it.

I have issues with campbell no matter what. He has been here 5 years. Played almost 3. And yet he isn't doing well. Don't know what he lacks, but something isn't there.

Whcih is normal for Washington. We always get the hopefuls and end up with losers.

Sorry, but you don't miss as many easy open passes as he has in pre-season and think you're gonna be a starting QB in the NFL.

Just curious ... to those tearing Campbell up: what did you think about Campbell's performance in preseason last year?

Just curious. What does that have to do with his play today? He should be showing a hint of improvement, no? Preseason or not. After all, he's had a full year of this offense under his belt. Yet it looks like his first.

Time will tell ...

Its nothing personal, jason campbell is a god fearing man and a great person.

As far as the article, no need to read anymore after those 3 words though, because his time is over in my opinion. We will never be a contender in the NFL while #17 is a Redskin. I look forward to the day that he cleans out his locker and never returns to redskins park.

now, you know, there is a bit of a back story behind your 5th year QB statment right ...

out of a possible 64 games he's played 36.

not excuses, just the facts.

JC is crapping the bed so this year, I'm not trying to sugar coat that, your post is a little misleading that's all.

Just curious ... to those tearing Campbell up: what did you think about Campbell's performance in preseason last year?

Last year it was, let me see.....

1. New offense: 5th one in 5 years or something like that

2. Gibbs/saunders were holding him back

We could still cling to the hope that these were real reasons he was still struggling.

i honestly dont remember, but does it really matter? he should be improving, and hes not. he looked awful on saturday. both his deep balls were bad, his pass over moss' head was bad, and the two screens were just predictable and the steelers pwned us on them.

his one nice pass to cooley doesnt negate the fact that he went 3 and out until a fake punt, and then we just ran the ball downfield pretty much, and our next possession, he went 3 and out again.

if this is what our offense looks like against good defenses, were in serious trouble. we dont play the rams and lions every week.

What really bothers me OM is Jason would of had 0 points if we didn't fake the punt and keep the drive alive. We went 3 and out until that fake punt, and Portis and our running game was the reason we got inside the 5 yard line. This is a serious problem this team has, and it will cost us games and the season if we don't get this thing together.

As I stated in another post, we don't need a superstar at QB, we have a very good team and dangerous weapons at the WR and RB position. All we need is a good QB who can get these receivers the ball, and this team can take that next step and win the East, even another Super Bowl with the defense we have.

QB's like Jim Mcmahon, who are just average quarterbacks have won Super Bowls because of the team and talent around him. Joe Flacco a rookie, takes his team to the AFC Championship game. Again just a good QB and no Superstar, but wins because he does his part, and his offense is able to do theirs because of it. This team is one position short of being a beast again, and that is the quarterback position.

Jason Campbell is obviously having a hard time just getting his receivers the ball, and that is killing an offense that has the potential to score in the mid 20's and even 30 points a game. We have an experienced QB who has already taken this team with half the talent at WR to the playoffs. He's not a superstar, and doesn't have to be.

But he is a very good and solid QB who can move this offense and get them into the endzone, something Jason Campbell is having a hard time doing. If JC continues his scoring droubt this next preseason game, I think it's time to turn the reigns over to Todd. Again, all this team needs is a good QB who can get the ball to his receivers, and we will be a force again in the NFC East and NFL. I really don't care which QB does it, just get it done!

Thanks for the considered reply.

On the first three plays, as I wrote in the piece, I thought Jason was off on 2 of 3. The Kelly bomb and Moss overthrow were bad--the throwaway on the CP screen was fine. Given the compressed sample size of three possession, it's hard not to project that onto an entire regular season game, but I caution against it. Campbell seems to come out jacked up quite often and take a series or two to settle down ... what we cannot and will not know until the regular season is whether that's going to cost the team games. Much as it pains us ... we really need to keep the preseason context of these possessions in perspective.

On the long FG series I thought Jason was right on time. He had three pass plays called. He hit ARE for a 1st down conversion that was nullified by Sameuls' penalty; hit Cooley on 3rd and long to convert; scrambled for positive yards to set up a 3rd and short.

Beyond that, Zorn called 8 running plays on the drive. Not sure what more Jason could have done given the opportunities.

And who knows ... maybe the deep ball to start the game really did loosen up the Steelers D a little, and played a part in making all those successful runs possible.

Be nice to put Zorn under truth serum and ask about that. :)

Om, I never long in but I am always lurching. I believe that in one of your blogs last year, you wrote something along the lines of, "..If we do not know what we have in Jason Campbell after this year, we already know the answer."

I think that it was a great quote and that it is still the truth.

Archived