Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tonights Parking Impression

Howie411

Quick question to anyone this applies to.... I was out of town and couldn't make the game last night, but how was the parking situation getting into the green lot from East Capitol Street a couple of hours before the game? Did they direct cars to park from the main walkway out toward the inside as it filled up, or did they direct traffic to the inside areas furthest from the walkway first? Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback....

I parked in the orange lot (thanks Mark and Sam) and parking was a piece of cake. Couldn't have been any easier. Got there at 5PM. The only bad part about the whole night was the rain! I should add that I used Brightseat Rd. and then Redskins Rd. VERY EASY!

The main issue I saw was a lot of people left at halftime and there was no where near a full stadium but people trying to leave FedEx after the game was crazy. See attached pic the Blue Mustang did not move for an hour. If this was a decent weather regular season game I can see the new exiting traffic strategy can become a huge issue! Not for us as we post tailgate :)

We left Silver Spring at 6:00. We didn't get into the stadium until after 8:00. We had an orange pass.

First game ever, and traffic was horrible. The 17B exit off 495 was backed up for several miles, and we used FedEx's website directions to go to exit 17A to Brightseat Road I think it was, and then a right onto Arena drive. Going from three lanes to one was a backup, and then it was just pandemonium.

People were driving on sidewalks, attendants were opening up cordoned off lots to let various people in (us included) telling us parking was available in their sections. We finally got a space after an attendant took pity on us and our miserable kids in the back.

The main problem that we saw was that no one was really enforcing parking between the spaces. The sheer number of wasted spaces was pretty amazing to us.

Even so, it was a great first game. I know (well, I hope) they get the parking ironed out and we'll know to try to leave even earlier to get to the game on time.

Any tips on how to get to the orange lots any faster? I'm hearing taking BW Parkway to Arena Drive may be the best way...

Thanks!

My observation is that the new "express" lanes for platinum, orange and purple parking worked for those folks. Afterall, that's what the Skins said they were going to do.

The green and gray parkers got stuck in massive long lines if they arrived within about 2 hours of game time. And since most of the no shows were club and premium people, the express lanes seldom had more than a few cars at any one time trying to get thru.

The main issue I saw was a lot of people left at halftime and there was no where near a full stadium but people trying to leave FedEx after the game was crazy. See attached pic the Blue Mustang did not move for an hour. If this was a decent weather regular season game I can see the new exiting traffic strategy can become a huge issue! Not for us as we post tailgate :)

Hully, what lot did you park in so I know to avoid it . . . !

So, the line for the Gray Lot was ridiculously long. By the time I got to the entrance for the Gray Lot, I found out they were only allowing cars to enter through one lane (that is everyone had to merge into one lane to get in). This is the longest I ever had to wait for parking (as compared to Red and Green Lots previously) and it was only a preseason game. Is there any hope?

I just posted the following in a new thread:

So, the line for the Gray Lot was ridiculously long. By the time I got to the entrance for the Gray Lot, I found out they were only allowing cars to enter through one lane (that is everyone had to merge into one lane to get in). This is the longest I ever had to wait for parking (as compared to Red and Green lots previously) and it was only a preseason game. Is there any hope?

It amazes me how people roll up an hour, or so, before kick-off, and then ***** about the traffic and parking situation.

Is is just me??

I would think planning to arrive by 6:30 would be appropriate if you are not tailgating and have a 4 year old with you and it's raining?? We left Vienna at 4:30 and were in line for parking by 6:15. We got into our seats before kickoff, but not with much time to spare. Just trying to give you an alternate viewpoint.

Grey lot sucked major. I was stuck in one spot trying to exit for an hour. I'm going to get to the stadium really early next week to get a spot that's really close to the exit.

I posted this in another thread, but I had no problem leaving the Grey Lot. I exited using the second exit (the one that is on the "upper level"). It was just me and another car while everyone else was trying to exit out of the lot's main exit. Basically, I drove toward the stadium and looped around, and that put me on that level. I made a RIGHT onto Brightseat and the the left at Arena and on to 95. I was across the WW Bridge in 30 minutes from the time I got in my car.

That was exiting the lot-now getting in was a different matter. Signage was bad, but hopefully that will be corrected.

It amazes me how people roll up an hour, or so, before kick-off, and then ***** about the traffic and parking situation.

Is is just me??

If I can come to the defense of these people (since I am one of them.)

Parking problems caused by improper signage, failure to adequately staff lots, or incorrect directions have all been reported here and are correctable. Although perhaps experienced commuters such as yourself have simply resigned yourself to the fact that these problems will occur and have learned to anticipate them, that may not be the case with other people. It is irritating to spend 30 minutes looking for your lot because the entrance was not properly identified, regardless of when you arrive.

It was poring rain for some time before the game started; people with young children who do not tailgate have no interest in arriving two-three hours early so that they can spend hours waiting under cover in the concourse, where no-smoking laws are not enforced.

Parking problems caused by improper signage, failure to adequately staff lots, or incorrect directions have all been reported here and are correctable. Although perhaps experienced commuters such as yourself have simply resigned yourself to the fact that these problems will occur and have learned to anticipate them, that may not be the case with other people. It is irritating to spend 30 minutes looking for your lot because the entrance was not properly identified, regardless of when you arrive.

It was poring rain for some time before the game started; people with young children who do not tailgate have no interest in arriving two-three hours early so that they can spend hours waiting under cover in the concourse, where no-smoking laws are not enforced.

I don't have kids, but I can definitely feel and understand where you are coming from. If I had a young child I wouldn't get there as early or even go.

I also understand there are a lot of first-timers going to games at FedEx and such (see tv stories about traffic horror for the DC United-Real Madrid game and Paul M. concert)

I tailgate every game and get to FedEx 4.5-5hrs before every game no matter the weather so I never really have to worry about traffic.

BUT you would THINK that people living in the Washington, DC area should know how bad traffic can be around here on the beltway (even on weekends without events going on) and allow for extra time. :doh:

I would think planning to arrive by 6:30 would be appropriate if you are not tailgating and have a 4 year old with you and it's raining?? We left Vienna at 4:30 and were in line for parking by 6:15. We got into our seats before kickoff, but not with much time to spare. Just trying to give you an alternate viewpoint.

Our kids are grown up, so I didn't think of it from that perspective.

That being said, planning to arrive an hour before kick-off is poor planning. It would've been poor planning, even before the new parking and tailgating policies.

No offense, but that's just the way it is, was and always will be.

You think it's bad now? Wait until a regular season game when the stadium is packed. And guess what?

We'll see yet another parking thread, where people are surprised that they encounter traffic and parking problems when they roll up an hour before kick-off.

I completely agree with this assessment.

I apologize if my post put some folks on the defensive, that was not my intent at all.

The post was meant for people who roll in an hour, or less, before kick-off, then act surprised that there are traffic & parking problems. I'm even more surprised when it's members of this board who do the complaining, because they should know better.

There's potentially 90K+ fans all headed to the same place; it doesn't take an experienced commuter to know that the traffic and parking situation will get worse, as the kick-off draws near. You are spot-on that with your observation that many have learned to anticipate the problems, and planned accordingly.

I know that sucks, but that's the reality of it.

Our kids are young. We figured the preseason game would be a great game to take them to for their first exposure to football. My mistake for figuring that 1 1/2 hours was enough to get from the New Hampshire Avenue exit in Silver Spring to the stadium. During rush hour, that same commute would have taken me 30 minutes tops. The last 45minutes or so was spent from the exit to the actual act of parking.

I'd leave earlier if it were just the two of us and plan on it. With younger kids, that's just not reasonable. They have a limited attention span and we wanted as much time during the actual game before they started to melt down. Had we left two hours earlier, yeah we would have gotten a spot, but then we'd of had to leave in the 1st quarter. Anyone who has gone to church with little kids present would have had it much worse had the parents with said kids showed up hours before the service.

It seems from posts that the best way to get to the stadium from the Silver Spring area is to either take 295 or just go into the city and come from there. Normally, we'd come from the Baltimore area, so 295 is pretty much the only choice. But when we con family in SS into kidsitting I'm wondering if going south to get to the stadium is the best way. Thanks for the responses.

That might not be a bad idea lisas.

Take the B-W Pkwy to Landover Rd.

Head east.

Turn right onto Brightseat.

or

From Landover Rd., Turn Rt on Rt 704 and make your way to Sheriff Rd. Turn left. That way you can use the light to get across Redskins Rd and to your grey lot.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Landover&state=MD&address=1600+Fedex+Way

Archived