Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What were you thinking halfway through last year?

surfersvida

I am noticing a trend towards negativity on this board and I want to ask all the people that are hating on Campbell, or Zorn, or Portis, or whoever it may be...

What were you thinking halfway through last year?

If you were like me, you were bragging to all your friends about how this was the year, and how everything was finally clicking. Dreaming of a Redskins filled Pro Bowl, and heading to the Superbowl. I'm just tired of people being hypocritical and/or fairweather, and even more tired of how everyone thinks they have the answer to our "dismal" offense. So let's hear it ESers, even you negative nancies, what were you honestly thinking halfway through last year? And don't you think that maybe, just maybe, you could let the team play the season before forecasting the end of the world.

I saw us, AT THE VERY LEAST, finally making it out of the first round. After about wk 6 or 7, I still thought we had a chance 2 correct the mental errors and be playing in the NFC Championship game.

Around week 13 or 14, i had already started lookin at key free-agent acquisitions and hopeful draft picks for the upcomin season.

I was thinking we weren't putting teams away and that we would not continue to at this clip if this fact didn't change. I didn't see a total collapse coming but I was posting the PF and PA and showing the despite our record we were doing horribly in this category. If the margain is paper thin a bounce of the ball the wrong way equates to a loss.

This team needs to put other teams away. When was the last time we had two games in a row where you felt the other team had no shot going into the 4th?

I was realistic. We have the talent to have a shot at the super bowl every year. But we just aren't smart enough of a franchise to get over "the hump". I remembered in 97 when we were 6-2 and lost at Buffalo then fell to 8-8. I also remembered 2000 when we were 7-1 and went 8-8.

Ofcourse I was happy and excited about the possibilities but in the back of my mind I was waiting for us to find a way to screw it up. And im sad to say that I was right. And the same thing will happen this year unless the coaches get smart.

I was thinking we weren't putting teams away and that we would not continue to at this clip if this fact didn't change. I didn't see a total collapse coming but I was posting the PF and PA and showing the despite our record we were doing horribly in this category. If the margain is paper thin a bounce of the ball the wrong way equates to a loss.

This team needs to put other teams away. When was the last time we had two games in a row where you felt the other team had no shot going into the 4th?

And thats because we dont have smart coaches. We have coaches that play scared to lose instead of playing to win. Whenever we get a lead we get Joe Gibbs conservative. That right there lets you know you can only be but so confident because like you said...1 bad bounce and we lose (rams game, and almost detroit game)

Week 4 Dallas & week 5 Philly were great' date=' the writing was on the wall wks 6-8 against the Rams/Browns/Lions. The Lions game in particluar suggested to me we were struggling, IMHO.[/quote']

Ditto.

I would say "cautiously optimistic" going forward. Impressed we'd got to half-way at 6-2, particularly given the two game road stretch in Dallas and Philly, and under a first time HC to boot; but, as was voiced at the time by myself and others, that enthusiasm was tempered by the amount of 6 points the stuttering O left on the field, at the expense of 3, or worse a Miss-ham, well, miss; only to be told a "wins a win, what more do you want?" after we squeaked by the Browns et all.

Those fears kinda' came back to bite us in the ass the second half of the year huh? :doh:

Hail.

Funny story: I lived with a Cowboy fan at the time (one of those Cowboy fans who hates TO and thinks Romo sits to pee is average at best. In other words: An intelligent Cowboy fan, which is oxymoronic, I know.). Point being, he kept telling me how good the Skins looked and how he thought we were going to go far.

For some reason, I never got the crappy play calling, poor time management, and lack of urgency from the 4th quarter of the week 1 loss to the Giants out of my head. I kept telling my roommate, "I don't trust Zorn," and, "I don't know about Campbell."

Maybe it is because I am the devil's advocate, or maybe it was because midway through last season came to close on the heels to the Rams debacle, but I was honestly nervous going into the second half.

I am a die hard Skins fan and always hope and want the best for them, but even at 6-2 I saw enough reason to be concerned.

I am not "band wagon" or "fair weather," I am a realist. What I hope for and what I expect are two different things.

Okay...so it wasn't that funny of a story. :/

I was thinking that we looked hollow. Easily the worst 6-2 team.

A pretender. With no offense.

Everyone on here knew that Pittsburgh was likely to take us apart.

That's because you are never happy! You want Betts and Collins to start...you are just one of those guys who can't enjoy anything, and look at things negatively. Your signature is the most ridiculous quote ever. Did Jones say that during Colt's heisman campaign? Do you agree with it or something? Do you think he is better than all those QBs?

Andre Ware for HOF!!!!

You are probably one of those fans who boo the whole entire game. "You should have done this, you should have done that" or "put in so and so (bench player), take so and so out (insert starter here)". Or have you even been to a Redskins game?

I was thinking that we looked hollow. Easily the worst 6-2 team.

I am calling bull **** on this one

A pretender. With no offense.

funny Portis was the leader in rushing, top 10 in offense, and both Portis and Campbell where legitimate MVP candidates

tell another one

Everyone on here knew that Pittsburgh was likely to take us apart.

uh, tell me a team going up against the Steelers defense who wasn't worried of losing?

and they didn't tear us apart, heck if Big Ben had stayed in the game we might have won.....

I wasn't thinking this at the time, but you're absolutely right. I can't remember the last time this happened. Constantly play up to teams better than us and play down to teams that we should crush. It is my #1 gripe with this team. No killer instinct at all. Classless as it is, I'd love to see the Skins run up the score just to see if they can and to prove a point.

Halfway through last year I was thinking 10-6, maybe 11-5 and advancing deep into the playoffs.

That seems like forever ago.

I thought the 6-2 start seemed "real", not imaginary or "fake" or an illusion...I was disappointed that we didn't just blow out the winless Lions to get that 6th win, though. It would have put me over the top in terms of confidence in the team and optimism. The Eagles and Cowboys were right behind us, and I wanted to believe we could put more room between us and them...a dismantling of the Lions would have helped in that regard.

But yeah, I was thinking "paloffs" (lol) like almost everyone else on this board...even with the doubts that may have been expressed by some, I'm positive they were thinking about the postseason as well. If your team goes 6-2 and your prevailing thought is "Nope, no way do we make the playoffs this year" then your negativity is pretty damn unhealthy.

Archived