Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashingtonTimes: Voight: Is Obama creating a civil war in America?

Destino

The best part is that loons on the right are showing up to town halls with loaded guns and they aren't being bothered by elected officials about it and are going on about their rights, yet during the Bush administration people were getting thrown out of the town hall meetings for wearing t-shirts that featured slogans that weren't policy-friendly.

I guess the lesson learned here is loaded guns are a lot less dangerous than t-shirts.

Take notes....

No. But it is being attempted by far right wing and Libertarian nutjobs. I've had enough libertarians I know tell me to buy guns and stock up on ammo that I plan to,... to protect myself from them.

Oh, and the first libertarian to make vague references to me, did so before Obama was elected.

MM, I'm gonna step in here and suggest that the people you interacted with may have given "libertarianism" a bad rap - I consider myself a libertarian, and I'm not gonna tell you to prepare for the end of the world based on who's living in the White House. I think we might want to diversify our labels a little bit.

The one nice thing about the previous 8 years was the relative absence of this type of pansy-ass whining from the liberals. Seriously, can we play the victim a little bit more?

I'll take pansy-ass whining over the wild eyed lunatic **** I see in the mainstream of the republican party at the moment. All over one lost election. Then again they went completely crazy during Clinton can't imagine they've stopped being sore losers now. I just hope no one blows up a government building this time with the right wing telling everyone our freedom is about to be lost.

This whole town hall mess has been a huge distraction from just how bad the Dems botched health care reform. You want to get it passed? Focus on making it better, don't point fingers at protesters and make them look like the source of all your problems. What we've got here is a failure to recognize cause and effect. The cause is a crappy, unpopular plan and the effect is a lot of idiots coming out in droves to scream about it. I'm not buying the pity party.

I know this is probably asking too much, but the protesters need to drop the anti-Obama rhetoric and just focus on exposing the bad ideas he's pushing. They need to stop flattering themselves by making it out be some citizen revolt against a marxist tyrant. He's got good intentions, but bad ideas. Just make your point about why the ideas are bad, and everybody goes home happy and the left can't scream about violent right-wing resistance every time there's a protest.

I'm going to be employed by the Marine Corps in a couple of months. I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the matter one way or another.

plus I'm a student at VMI.

And VMI students aren't allowed to be opposed to civil war? (I'm sorry. I mean "The War of Northern Aggression"?)

(You do realize I'm joking with you, don't you?)

The one nice thing about the previous 8 years was the relative absence of this type of pansy-ass whining from the liberals. Seriously, can we play the victim a little bit more?

Well put. For example:

If we replaced Voight with Streisand and Obama with Bush how long do you think this thread would be by now?

I have no doubt we'd have gotten a few speeches about how the Hollywood elite has no business saying anything about anything. In fact, one of those speeches would probably have come from me. :)

A Marine can say "I am against fighting a war against my own government." C'mon, say it with me: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

You can say it.

Actually a Marine, or any service member for that matter would be more likely to say :

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God

I'm going to be employed by the Marine Corps in a couple of months. I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the matter one way or another.

plus I'm a student at VMI.

I hope you don't expect the Marines that you lead to have no opinion on the matter one way or another. The notion that officers are not allowed to have an "opinion" is absolutely incorrect. There are times and places where it is inappropriate for you to share your opinion and I trust that you will pick that up somewhere along the path between now and the time that you actually ARE an officer. I would offer that this is one of the most appropriate places and times for you to let your opinion known. There is no danger of you contradicting your chain of command(because right now you don't have one) or improperly influencing your subordinates(again because you don't have any). Couple that with the fact that you are just an anonymous future 2LT and it is important for the GAP to know what kinds of thoughts and philosophies you have regarding such matters...after all ultimately they are your boss.

What does being a student at VMI had to do with anything? It is a state school like JMU or Virginia Tech....I am quite certain students there have opinions.

I have to agree with an earlier poster. I don't think it mattered who won the election. This country, because of political ideas, seems to be teething on the edge...of what, I don't know. I consider myself conservative, but I agree with many here...I think it's time to drop the D's and R's. Just those two letters cause a lot of problems in a lot of peoples' minds.

MM, I'm gonna step in here and suggest that the people you interacted with may have given "libertarianism" a bad rap - I consider myself a libertarian, and I'm not gonna tell you to prepare for the end of the world based on who's living in the White House. I think we might want to diversify our labels a little bit.

99% of the libertarians I talk to are Republicans who don't want to admit it (yourself excluded).

My oath will be to the constitution, to protect it from all enemies foreign and domestic. not the government. take that statement for what it is. If the Corps' mission is to restore the constitution, and God forbid such a day comes, I will fulfill my duty to my country. Do I think such a day is imminent? no, so let me put that to bed before you call me crazy.

Wait a second, so you would support a coup to oust a President or other politicians if you thought it supported the Constitution? Ummm, I don't think Marines should conduct an analysis of the constitutionality of policies before executing orders. Are you going to hold Constitutional seminars before executing orders which you receive?

Oh, and why are you going to be employed by the Marines in a few months? Aren't you a ROTC cadet? Are you dropping out?

I have to agree with an earlier poster. I don't think it mattered who won the election. This country, because of political ideas, seems to be teething on the edge...of what, I don't know. I consider myself conservative, but I agree with many here...I think it's time to drop the D's and R's. Just those two letters cause a lot of problems in a lot of peoples' minds.

Now that's just crazy talk.

Without the labels who would we have to look down upon while we wrap ourselves in the comfort of our pseudo-superiority?

;)

99% of the libertarians I talk to are Republicans who don't want to admit it (yourself excluded).
:excited: Exclude me too. I was a liberal before I was a libertarian. The Repubs talk a good game, but with a few exceptions (Reps. Paul and Flake; Sens. Coburn and DeMint on fiscal issues) it's just talk. And the social conservatism of the Repubs makes me :puke:

:excited: Exclude me too. I was a liberal before I was a libertarian. The Repubs talk a good game, but with a few exceptions (Reps. Paul and Flake; Sens. Coburn and DeMint on fiscal issues) it's just talk. And the social conservatism of the Repubs makes me :puke:

To me, libertarian is fiscal conservative social liberal. I think you and hubbs definitely fit that mold. But there are a lot of social conservatives who fancy themselves libertarians. To me that's a tough sell.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/21/inside-the-beltway-68484451/

More talks of violent revolt that is becoming far too normal these days. Armed loons at Obama events, constant references to armed resistence, and now open talk of civil war from a guy about to speak at a major conservative event.

Remember when people were arrested for wearing anti-Bush t-shirts at his events? Gone are those days. The violent rhetoric is growing.

Yeah, even at my most "anti-Bush" and "anti-NWO" period of my disillusion, I didn't speak of armed insurrection. "Taking back this country" wasn't supposed to involve guns. It was supposed to involve the ballot box.

I was able to shake that off around two years ago. It is hard to seriously talk about politics if everything is a "conspiracy" and if you see shadows in every corner.

Really, though, I find it interesting that some people lose an election, and now we're suddenly hearing talk of "revolt" and "secession."

None of that talk provides a solution to bettering our nation.

To me, libertarian is fiscal conservative social liberal. I think you and hubbs definitely fit that mold. But there are a lot of social conservatives who fancy themselves libertarians. To me that's a tough sell.
Probably right about that. Don't know why it's so damn hard. Live and let live is a GOOD philosophy.
Ron Paul is against gay marriage. He is also pro-life. He is a moderate conservative to me, not a libertarian. A libertarian is a social liberal and an economic conservative.
Libertarian conservative?

A Libertarian conservative is basically just a moderate conservative. :2cents:

W...McCain, a Libertarian conservative ...OK:silly:

Is RP a moderate conservative...I don't think so.

People get hung up on the linear model rather than embracing the spatial.

Archived