Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 3 yard sale/flea market pick-ups

aREDSKIN

Haven't been to one recently but here are my 3:

1) I picked-up a Monte blanc pen for .25 cents. I guess the lady had no idea what it was. She would'nt break a twenty so I had to scramble back to the car and find a quarter.

2) I got a Canon AE-1 w/50mm lens for $10 bucks. The guy said it didn't work. I put a new battery in it and it works fine.

3) I picked-up a HP laser printer for $25. Went to the local computer reseller and sold it for $150.

Went to one a couple of years ago. Guy was retiring for Air Force and moving to New Mexico. Had a 55 Chevy and 57 T-Bird in

yard sale. Both were in the $32-$35000 range. Both were fully restored and mint condition. Regardless, didn't buy either one.

I bought a shoebox full of "super balls" from the 1960's that had Major League Baseball player - cards inside of them. I paid the guy $20 bucks for the whole box.

On the way home I stopped at the local card shop to pick up a price guide and was telling the store owner about my treasure. He knew exactly what I had and we took a look in the price guide and found out that the Roberto Clemente ball alone was worth $90. I had 4 of them along with an assortment of other star players.

All total my $20 investment netted an estimated value of close to $700.

Originally posted by aREDSKIN

1) I picked-up a Monte blanc pen for .25 cents. I guess the lady had no idea what it was. She would'nt break a twenty so I had to scramble back to the car and find a quarter.

Originally posted by BlitzFiftySix

I bought a shoebox full of "super balls" from the 1960's that had Major League Baseball player - cards inside of them. I paid the guy $20 bucks for the whole box.

On the way home I stopped at the local card shop to pick up a price guide and was telling the store owner about my treasure. He knew exactly what I had and we took a look in the price guide and found out that the Roberto Clemente ball alone was worth $90. I had 4 of them along with an assortment of other star players.

All total my $20 investment netted an estimated value of close to $700.

Both of those stories are incredible. I would love to get a Monte Blanc pen for less than the price of a Bic pen.

:notworthy

Code- It's just a "high-end" pen made by Monte Blanc. It's real value is the prestige associated with it. Sort of like a "Rolex" watch. I paid $90.00 retail for one and got one as stated above. The joke might be on me because it's $5.00 a pop for refills.

Originally posted by aREDSKIN

It's just a "high-end" pen made by Monte Blanc. It real value is the prestige associated with it. I paid $90.00 retail for one got one as stated above. The joke might be on me because it's $5.00 a pop for refills.

Oh, ok

Thanks for the info.

When I was a junior in college, I bought a sofa bed for $50, the people I bought it from had told me they never used the bed, and they were right, when I got it back to my place, I opened it up and found $125.39 in the folds of the plastic wrapped mattress. Had a party that night funded by my new couch...sweeeeeet.

:pint:

Not too much on yard sales or flea markets, but I have picked up a few good used deals none the less.

Got a 72 Telecaster Thinline with original tweed case for $425 looked on ebay and they were in the $1200-1700 range.

Stopped into a pawnshop near the college, know the guy. Anyway he had a 4 megapixel Kodak camera for $100 was $400+ at the time. Didn't work right so I asked if I could take it home and try new batteries. Batteries did not fix the problem I told him it wouldn't work and he gave it to me. I called Kodak and for $9 shipping I had them repair it under warranty. $9 for a 4 megapixel camera ain't too bad.

Picked up a $350 citizen watch for $35 once.

Probably some more deals, but none like the ball cards or pen...

My mom is the master of garage sale deals. The best that i remember was when she was going through a box of what the owners thought was fake gold jewellery. My mom picked out a watch that she thought seemed valuable. The owners sold it to her for $5. She took it to a jeweler who told her that the watch was a rare early 1900's 9k gold watch from England worth between $500-700.

This isn't a purchase, its a freebie!! I work at a Dodge dealership and back in the early nineties Dodge produced a twelve (?) card set of all the IROC drivers. I was into racing and the boss wasn't. I asked for the cards but he said he was going to give them to his son. About three years ago, he came across the cards in his desk. I asked for them again. He said he would hold on to them. About a month later, he didn't come in to work one day, but he called to wish me happy birthday. He told me to get in his desk and I could have the cards, but he had given the Rusty Wallace card to a mutual friend of ours that owned a convenience store. I got the rest of them and went to the store on my lunch hour. I asked my buddy if he would part with the Rusty card and he said sure. Before I left, he went and looked in a Beckett and the Rusty card alone was worth $40. The entire set went for between $600 and $700, but I still have them. They include Dale Earnhardt and Davey Allison, so I'm sure they're worth more now. Just a neat story I wanted to share.

Archived