Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxnews:Whole Foods CEO's Health Care Views Provoke Some Customers to Boycott Store

NavyDave

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/15/foods-ceo-provokes-customers-boycottt-store-health-care-view/

First protest will be Friday at a DC area store, according to the organizer on Greta Van Susteren's show.

Whole Foods CEO's Health Care Views Provoke Some Customers to Boycott Store

Protesters are hoping a boycott will cut into the success of Whole Foods, the 10th largest food and drug store in the U.S., which reported sales of $1.8 billion for last quarter, a 2 percent increase from the previous quarter.

Calls to boycott Whole Foods Market are growing louder and more sophisticated following a Wall Street Journal opinion article by the company's chief executive, John Mackey, in which he criticized President Obama's health care plan and offered his own alternative.

Mackey's article first prompted individuals to threaten taking their business elsewhere. But now the Progressive Review, an online alternative publication, is calling for a formal boycott, and campaigns are popping up all over, including on Facebook, a popular online social networking site.

Protesters are hoping a boycott will cut into the success of Whole Foods, the 10th largest food and drug store in the U.S., which reported sales of $1.8 billion for the last quarter, a 2 percent increase from the previous quarter.

As of Saturday, the Whole Foods Internet forum had more than 4,000 postings. One commenter thanked Mackey for revealing his political views.

"While it was a horrible business move, it was a great courtesy," a commenter identified as boycottwf wrote. "Now, I know that my dollars spent at whole foods are going to fund your misguided conservative views."

The commenter added, "Until you publically apologize to the nation and pledge that you will provide better benefits to your employees, I will not spend another dime at your store."

*Click Link For Rest*

The idiots will attempt to hurt a guy who admitted he had so much money that he only took a dollar for an annual salary and provides coverage for domestic partners in his company. Two things that I would do after Hades opened an ice skating rink. :)

I'm tempted to shop at a store tomorrow wearing a Team Elephant shirt.

I read this the other day.

What. An. Idiot.

Not because I care what he thinks. But when your target customers are the ideal liberal - young adults, trendy, health crazy, etc. - you might not want to piss them off.

Who knows though, I don't think 99% people are going to care.

He's absolutely right. And how is it the liberal mantra in this debate is we need competiion to drive down prices when current laws prevent exactly that from happening. In some states, large carriers own 80 percent of the business. Open up competition accross state lines and much of the problems go away.

Navy Dave -

10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, ...

Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. ...

The WF I go to in Annapolis is usually filled with older conservative women seeking the fountain of youth. lol.

I like a lot of the products that WF carries but I completely agree that much of it is overpriced.

I completely agree with Mackey and his opinion on Healthcare. Keep it private and reform it so that it is easier to obtain. The gov't should stay out of it otherwise.

I'm on the local Green Party mailing list (long story). About a week or 2 ago, I got an email regarding this article. The email list is designed in such a way that you can reply to it and everyone else will get your email. So it becomes a conversation. Anyway, the people responding are so misguided. They're putting together a rally/boycott of the WF in Annapolis sometime soon, can't remember when.

There are a million ways in which the Green Party could become relevant on political issues. Unfortunately, after discussing things, the only idea that ever gets agreed on is "Let's Boycott and stand outside!!!!"

He's absolutely right. And how is it the liberal mantra in this debate is we need competiion to drive down prices when current laws prevent exactly that from happening. In some states, large carriers own 80 percent of the business. Open up competition accross state lines and much of the problems go away.

Because for the last 20 years, the Republicans have not been about promoting competition, but promoting big business because it "trickled down" to the consumers, workers, etc. So, over the last 20-25 years, the government has set up systems in the private sector that allow large carriers to own 80% and not compete.

Its only recently that republicans have decided again that they are for free market competition and "small business."

They have the right to boycott the store but it's still silly.

I give 'em a week before they can't stand living without their non-roasted free-range sunflower seeds. :D

I foresee this lasting as long as conservatives boycotting Walmart because they pulled commercials during the Glenn Beck show. :hysterical:

Navy Dave -

10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, ...

Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. ...

I did that and I want to thank the people who decided to alter the part of the text in the article from what was actually posted, though the guy pointing out a lack of smelly hippies was while funny uncalled for

Archived