Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stacker game is rigged: lawsuits against company

SolidSnake84

Okay this is one of those things that I always suspected, but could never really prove...apparently the company that makes these games, LAI games, has lawsuits against them in a handful of states...

We've all seen these machines everywhere...the mall, pizza places, etc. It should have dawned on me when i saw that the prizes never changed, but for some reason it never did..

The machine is just like a slot machine, with their average win ratio at about 1 in 600. The problem is, owners/renters of them, can tweak the settings to make it higher or lower. There is a video on you tube of a guy proving that the machine is rigged by using software to slow down the video to show how the machine cheated the player.

The renters of the machines can also purchase an "upgrade", to make the ratio as high as 1 to 1600, and the "stacker giant" can be set to 1 in 3200....the lawsuit is happening because the machine console is marketed as being a "game of skill", and the company is arguing that labeling it as a "game of chance", means that the player wont anticipate a reasonable chance of winning...

And BTW, a slot machine average is like 1 in 540 chances, so you're better off playing those. There was a link to the stacker's setup manual explaining how to set the ratios, but it has mysteriously disappeared from the laigames.com site...

Well i was always a smart kid growing up and knew to stay away from carnival games because my dad always told me they were rigged...but this one did seem to good to pass up.

UPDATE: I called my best friend's brother, who is the manager of Gamestop at Apple Blossom Mall in winchester, and he verified that the machine outside his store (he does not operate it), still has a PSP bundle in there with Brett Favre as a Green Bay packer on the box (this bundle is from late 2008).

He said to the best of his knowledge he has never seen a person win a major prize since he's worked there

http://web.archive.org/web/20060509142318/http://www.shafferdistributing.com/manuals/lai_Stacker_SKILL_1st-Ed_manual.pdf

thats the link above for the setup manual. It reccomends having a 30% payoff rate, so 3 out of 10 people could win, but it also states that the setting of the cube speed and the overall win ratio could make it as high as 1 in 800 plays, and even then the 1 winner would need superhuman reflexes...

I know that In WV, there are rules on gambling machines...a 1 in 3200 ratio could have the operators being shut down and/or fined....

I should edit the thread title; i mean to say beware...there are lawsuits against the operators.

I googled again, and seen a handful of states' attorney generals offices have processed civil suits against the game owners, for "rigging" the games. so far 2 of the cases have generated media attention.

i'm not an attorney, but i guess the peoples claims are from the operators that have truly "rigged" the machine, as the youtube videos show....

Usually I defend the right to bring lawsuits and defend them as meritorious, regardless of whether they win or lose.... but, this makes me say "c'mmmmmmmmmmon." I'm surprised to see people think this is a valid lawsuit.

Have you seen the game in question? I've never played it myself, but just looking at it/watching others play it at various malls and arcades, I always assumed it was a game of skill. If there is no way for somebody to win outside of random chance, then I think this lawsuit is very valid. The game is designed in such a way as to make you think that you have a chance of influencing the outcome with your mad skillz.

This explains why the stacker game at the buffalo wild wings I work at was suddenly replaced a few weeks ago. LOL

I'm sure this is bound to happen all over as word of it gets out...i talked to people alot about this (it really bothered me lol), and apparantly the laws are very clear about these kind of machines. Having a 1 in 800 chance, or even 1 in 1600 chance makes it a gambling machine.

So i guess they are being taken out of states that it is illegal to own a gambling machine. I know in WV that you can, as long as the machine is clearly labeled as a gambling machine..but for VA i'm not so sure...i can say personally they say "game of skill", so clearly it is false advertising.

see thats where i think they could get into trouble...i get the impression they are saying that you CAN have a chance to win, albeit if you have superhuman reflexes and skill.

So if they dont allow kids to use slot machines, then this should not be allowed either, IMO

And up until i was shown the article and the video....i just beleived that it was crazy, crazy, hard.,,,but after reading and watching it made perfect sense. You have no realistic chance of winning...1 chance out of 800 on blind luck alone....you're more apt to be struck by lighting or winning on a scratch of ticket

Archived