Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The War Room - Unit rankings: Cornerbacks

Chopper Dave

Unit rankings: Cornerbacks

Ranking the NFL's best cornerbacks:

1. Champ Bailey, Redskins. He is capable of taking most receivers out of the game. He wastes little motion while changing direction and has the speed to recover when he gets caught out of position.

2. Charles Woodson, Raiders. Woodson, who was slowed by injuries last year, has excellent instincts and consistently puts himself in position to make the big play.

3. Troy Vincent, Eagles. He has excellent size, excels at pressing receivers at the line and throws his body around in run support.

4. Ty Law, Patriots. Law shows a great burst to the ball. He also has the speed to get to the quarterback and the confidence to rebound quickly from his mistakes.

5. Patrick Surtain, Dolphins. Surtain shows excellent technique. He has the explosive burst to stay with the opponent's quickest receiver and is a sound open-field tackler.

One thing to say: Hell yes. Now this is a guy that knows his cornerbacks, no Mario Edwards or Fred Thomas on this list.

Yeah Orange, I have to agree. I live in S. Florida, so I see ever Fins game. Surtain is amazing. I personally would have it go:

1. Champ

2. Patrick Surtain

3. Charles Woodson

4. Ty Law

5. Sam Madison, Surtain's partner on the other side of the field, who was considered better than Surtain before last season

dcogan, if you lived up north and saw more eagles games you would have vincent on that list... he is pretty damn good.

and i would have woodson rated high, but he has been injured lately... so it would knock him off my list.

champ is an incredible CB.... he plays the position like he is the WR. it is awesome to watch.

Mario Edwards has not even proven himself to be a consistent starter yet in the NFL, for Dr. Z to have put him on a list like that was idiotic :)

The guys bunched at the top are ALL excellent players. Vincent is a better tackler than Bailey but is 33 years old and may not be where he was a couple of years ago.

Surtain and Madison are very good players. Woodson when healty is also a franchise player.

Of course we WILL sign Champ to a contract if possible. It may be based on team performance this year if he WANTS to sign the contract we present to him... He can call the shots as he sees them.

dcogan1820, PM with your location in SoFLA. Are you in PB County? Great Fan Club at PB Ale House, also at Hollywood Ale House.

HTTR,

For my tastes, Woodson is overrated. I would have had Surtain at second also. Vincent is still good, but age is creeping up. Still gauls me to think Skins could've drafted him and Pickens instead of Desmond H.

I think I would've added Samari Rolle to my top 5. Maybe a little slower afoot than all but Vincent on that list, but makes BIG plays, and presses the run as well as any CB in the league.

Originally posted by Long n Left

For my tastes, Woodson is overrated....

I think Woodson is a very good CB - but you wouldn't know it the past couple of years because of injuries. Indeed, I think he is overrated to be 2nd on the list, but he does belong in the top 7-10 in the NFL.

Rolle was getting beat early last season and I don't remember whether he was injured or not, but he seems to have fallen some since 1999-2000 when he was an all-pro.

Personally, while I think Bailey has the skills to be the best in the NFL, I think he has been too inconsistent to be rated as the single best corner in the game right now.

He has games where he just takes people out of the flow of play and then others, such as the game in 2001, where he lets Raghib Ismail beat him on a play that determines the outcome of a key game.

What I want to see out of him is what Darrell did in 1991. Game in and game out nobody threw against #28 because they knew it was either going to be incomplete or picked off.

THAT will raise the level of the whole defense and allow the DC to do more on the other side to create favorable matchups for the Redskins :)

Champ should get paid as the highest CB in the league. He'll set the new record for cornerback $$. I can't imagine Danny is willing to shell out big money for guys that haven't done as much for the Skins as Champ have and then NOT pay Champ what he's due.

At least we know that we have an owner that will do whatever he can to keep premier FA's, which can't be said for 50% of the teams in the NFL. I certainly don't think that there's any question that Snyder will do what is necessary to keep Champ and keep him happy, but the only question will be if Washington can afford to keep him without screwing up the cap for the next 5-7 years. Wish that Mendes would have stuck around to take care of Champ and LaVarr's contracts.:(

Archived