Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ not being signed??

jbooma

I was listening to 980 on the way home tonight and they mentioned that Spurrier said it doesn't seem likey they will be able to sign champ with all the money invested in the defense right now. Then they said they will tender him as the franchise player and give him the one year deal at the 5th best rate.

Can anyone verify this please???? :mad:

Preliminary talk. Spurrier could just as well be in politics . It's a slick way of a poll being taken. However, "who" is doing it is the question??

The media "source"? The Player? The Coach? The Owner? Cerrato? This poster ?

Let's see - you have a "lock" on the team's #1 CB spot, you have been given chances at WR, PR, though not as exclusive as you'd like, nevertheless, the newest coach is open minded and has come clean showing you his intentions. He is awfully fair and honest. He IS a player's coach and crowd pleaser, meaning he will still use you in other positions.

You are among the top 3 CB's in the league. The owner has given a 'very, very" good contract when he first signed you. He has shown more than a casual interest in you, MORE LIKE HOF<, RING OF FAME, etc!!!! and now the Defense is poised to return even meaner and an offense fully loaded.

It's not the player taking the poll.

Stay tuned.

one would have to believe there is a plan for Bailey.

it may very well be that 2004 will be a better time for the team to address his situation, given the commitments to other players.

nobody wants to be franchised but it happens and most guys end up signing extensions after some trying negotiations.

remember when Orlando Pace was threatening to leave the Rams? :)

usually these core players don't leave, although they talk a lot about not being loved before they get the dollars :laugh:

on the other hand, if it were not to happen and money was a factor, you would then have to say in retrospect that committing huge sums to Trotter and Wynn instead of drafting a DE in 2002 and signing another FA linebacker was a mistake.

I heard the show. Spurrier didn't say it was "highly unlikely". He was commenting on the reality of salary cap and the possibility of not being able to match an offer if it was to high. His answers seemed to be one of a coach and not a GM saying the right things. The real negative implications were the speculations of the radio personalities. These guys appear to drum up the controversy with digs agains the Skins FO and coach. Nevertheless, I do find them entertaining, just not as credible as they take themselves.

It's has been a couple of years since we've had to use the franchise player tag on someone. I hate to see when that card is played, because it usually trumped when the player is about to bolt and it's the only way to hold onto the guy. It may happen for next year, so as to take care of Champ in 05 when there may possibly be more money available. Champ is one of a few players that I would like to see stay a Redskin for their carrer.

Archived