Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

No thanks. Gracelander, your vid of the Jax game gets me hyped up everytime I see it on your post. Besides jumping around like a nut when it happened, it was great walking down the ramp slapping hands w/ skins fans going in the opposite direction on the ramp!!

I don't think its really about the players....its about the ownership and greed of Dan Snyder.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2003-01-31-mitchell-redskins_x.htm

Bobby Mitchell has parting shots for Redskins

By Joseph White, The Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. — Burdened with a final insult that hurt as much as any racial setback he received over the decades, Bobby Mitchell retired Friday after 41 years with the Washington Redskins.

The first black player on a team that was slow to integrate, the Hall of Fame receiver of the 1960s found his glass ceiling to be the job of assistant general manager. In a wide ranging interview with The Associated Press, he discussed matters of race, the state of the Redskins under owner Dan Snyder, his reason for leaving — and why the team that has been such a part of his life might never hear from him again.

Mitchell wore No. 49 when he played for the Redskins from 1962-68, and no player had worn that number since — until it was given to tight end Leonard Stephens this year. Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 and Joe Theismann's No. 7 were also given to players for a couple of days this spring, but they were quickly retracted.

But not No. 49.

"I've had a lot of hurts, a lot of bad hurts," Mitchell said. "But personally for me and my family, that might be the biggest hurt. I was the first number set aside, and I'm the first one taken off. It was that one word I keep using — neglect. People here didn't even realize that 49 was Bobby Mitchell's number.

"And if I should, once I walk through that gate, if I should decide never, ever to be a Redskin again, in any shape, form or fashion, that will probably be the reason why. I hate to have to say that. But there's a good chance when I walk through that gate that the Redskins will never hear from me again — over a silly mistake."

Snyder referred questions about Mitchell's number to coach Steve Spurrier. When told of Mitchell's comments, Spurrier said the team had made a mistake. "There was a mistake by everyone in the organization," Spurrier said. "Me, our equipment staff, tight ends coach and personnel guy. We made a mistake and we'll correct it. No one will be wearing Bobby;s number during any season."

Mitchell can relate intimate football-related conversations with Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, George Allen, Edward Bennett Williams and even Martin Luther King, so it was hardly special when Snyder — who lacks a football background — bought the team in 1999.

Mitchell, 68, is not leaving because of Snyder. He is leaving because Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore has become the NFL's first black general manager — a sort of spiritual release for Mitchell, because it was the job he always sought.

But Mitchell candidly says that Snyder, whose massive in-house turnover has included four head coaches and five defensive coordinators, has made the franchise one of "total instability."

"If you look at it from Dan's side, he's a corporate man who is trying to find out why can't he run football the way he runs his other business," Mitchell said. "And he can't because his other business is transient. Football should not be. This league is not so strong that you can't win it all; if there is some stability, you can win it all. That's disheartening."

Does Mitchell think Snyder will ever figure it out?

"If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say no," Mitchell said. "But at the same time, hoping the heck that he can. Because I'm going to be out there with my ear tuned to this. No matter how much I try to shed it off, I love to hear good things. I want to see good things like everybody else."

Edited by WVUforREDSKINS

Looks like the gamblers, and Vegas were dead on.

Whatever the cause, we sure looked flat.

Meh, take out the Aldridge fumble and it's probably a cover.

Also, Jags starters played the 1st half against our 2nd string, and it showed.

Edited by FanboyOf91

I don't think its really about the players....its about the ownership and greed of Dan Snyder.
It's not that that's not an interesting article....but it's from freaking 2003.

I think, objectively, one could look back see the difference between Snyder pre-Gibbs, and Snyder Gibbs 2.0 and onwards.

Ya know, I'm gonna make an analogy here that I don't know if it is appropriate or not, but when I was took two classes on investing this summer, the guy said to us, you need to look at three things in the business:

1. Management that has been successful in the past. (lol at Synder's football success)

2. Companies in which you have personal knowledge (do we ever know what this team will do?

3. Business that is promising, but not too popular (well I suppose this is up for debate)

He used the metaphor that if you were buying stocks in sports teams, you would always want to buy the Patriots, Red Wings, Yankees, and Red Sox, because they are all well run organizations with great management and it shows.

Buying stocks in business is the same way. Skins wouldn't get one dime from me.

Edited by WVUforREDSKINS

It's not that that's not an interesting article....but it's from freaking 2003.

I think, objectively, one could look back see the difference between Snyder pre-Gibbs, and Snyder Gibbs 2.0 and onwards.

Fair enough, but it still seems to ring true. I guess I am fueled by the post article right now. Just seems to awful to do. Especially if they have a 15 year waiting list of people that want those tickets. It isn't like Synder is losing any money.

Back ups holding starters to 6 points should qualify as "fine" in a preseason game.

Is 57 yards of total rushing fine?

We were never in the game. We were dominated the entire game.

If you think that was "fine", let's hope we never see fine the rest of the season.:hysterical:

If you think that was "fine", let's hope we never see fine the rest of the season.:hysterical:

It's quite obvious that your behavior is intended to get a rise. Otherwise, your ability to watch a game, understand what is going on and make a reasonable determination of what just happened must be jeopardized by your IQ.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt...you're a troll.

Funny how H.O.F 'er Bruce Smith mentioned in his H.OF speech and then on Redskins Nation how Dan Synder was a good owner, and he apperciated his friendship :)

Bruce Smith is far removed from this franchise to be considered bias. He was there when the **** hit the fan and still has nothing but good things to say of Dan Synder.It speaks volume to me.

I realize people will believe and see what they want anyway.

If you think "fine" in the context of a preseason game using your 4th string QB and primarily nothing but back ups and camp fodder is the same as "fine" in the context of a regular season game with a full roster of starters on the field, then...well, all my assumptions about you are true lol :cool:.