Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

Pretty meh about the RBs now...not depressed nor excited anymore.  This being said, we really just need a healthy streak for the big guys to let the RBs get some continuity going.  I think all the RBs on the roster can produce when there's hole to run through.  

Same situation for the receivers and our new QB.  The offense will go along just as the OL does.  We could take the DL to a whole different level with some health and continuity there.  The team is going to do as well as the lines are going to be producing over a season long set.  I'd view this as gradeable by a series of games and not a game by game basis. Additionally quantified by culmination of consistency over the season.  

When you have at least 4:5 of the line playing on avg over the course of the year it's going to be a different season.  If your plugging in guys week by week then your not going to be expecting any better results.  Gotta keep the big guys on the field. 

• Like 1

The "rebuild" idea is dumb. After a SB you generally have a bunch of solid vets playing career years and at the end of a contract, so SB teams do need to do rebuilds, but rarely do they strip down to nothing. 

Mediocre teams are mediocre because they only have a small amount of talent. No new coach comes in and says "let's get rid of the 4 better than average players". They take bad teams and build them. 

Like, Gruden took us from a bottom dweller to mediocre. If he gets canned and a new coach comes in, he might let a couple older vets with expiring contracts walk, but he's not going to intentionally sink the team with an intent to make it better. He's just going to add more talent. 

There's no such thing as a rebuild. 

The hashtag #HTTR is really cool. Not only does it look cool but it reads cool either as H.T.T.R or Hail To The Redskins. Can't lose either way. On the flipside the Dolphins hashtag #FinsUp is so stupid. What are some other examples out there in the NFL?

Yea, its way off topic, but I'm just starting to get my ES posting legs; been in hibernation for the most part.

Last year, I called the Jaguars as a team that'll surprise the league.

This year, I think the Browns will catch a lot of people off guard.

Now, I will admit that I thought I grabbed a bottle of Milk of Magnesia but it turned out to be MD2020, so go figure...

10 hours ago, dyst said:

The hashtag #HTTR is really cool. Not only does it look cool but it reads cool either as H.T.T.R or Hail To The Redskins. Can't lose either way. On the flipside the Dolphins hashtag #FinsUp is so stupid. What are some other examples out there in the NFL?

“It reads cool either as H.T.T.R or Hail To The Redskins”? I’m confused, What else would HTTR stand for? 

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

“It reads cool either as H.T.T.R or Hail To The Redskins”? I’m confused, What else would HTTR stand for? 

Well, you can fully say “Hail To The Redskins” or just say the letters HTTR and both ways it sounds cool.

14 hours ago, dyst said:

I don't know a lot about NFL hashtags, but #ALLCAPS is right up there with HTTR!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I don't know a lot about NFL hashtags, but #ALLCAPS is right up there with HTTR!  

#ALLCAPS has to be a top-5 hashtag across all sports!!! 

In addition to the cleverness and wit of the hashtag, the hockey world is "all Caps" since they are the reigning and defending Stanley Cup champions!!!

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Well, you can fully say “Hail To The Redskins” or just say the letters HTTR and both ways it sounds cool.

That is true. 

I have a #HTTR shirt, and i wore it at my family reunion brunch the other weekend, and my cousins dad was going around all morning to our cousins saying that HTTR means “hate the terrible redskins” ? 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

28 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Cousins-3 of 8 for 12 yards. 1.5 quarters played. 

I watched it all, he was off today, should have been picked once and threw the ball in the dirt and off the mark all day.

Bortles was just as bad, threw 2 passes directly into the hands of a Vikings player, only one was picked.  He did manage to drive them 70 yards for the lead before the starters went out.

The penalty for lowering the head should be 5 yds no automatic first. If they really want to get rid of lowering the head, they should make it a 25 yard penalty.  Or, take off the stupid helmets altogether and go leather.

That all aside I expect 1 mandated call per team, per game.

14 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah I watched the highlights but there weren't that many.  I still think he'll have some issues with their OL and protection this year. 

In fairness, it was the Jags D, probably best D in the league. And historically, Cousins struggles against really aggressive secondaries(look at his games against the Giants for example).

On 8/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, JSSkinz said:

I hate this rule.

They both lowered their helmet. The defender wasnt leading with it like the runner was though. I thought the rule was for when a defender initiates contact/tackle leading with helmet. Here, the defender didnt really initiate contact as much as braced for impact.

---------------------

Landry block.

https://deadspin.com/the-bills-are-upset-over-another-hard-jarvis-landry-blo-1828460062

I personally dont like it. The defender is watching and pursuing the ball carrier. It doesnt make you a man to clean out a guy in that position. Others will say "head on swivel" but to me, in that situation, its cherry picking by Landry. Anyone who has played contact sports knows when you got a lined up and can kill him. If this was legal, I guess the only resort is for defenders to tee off on Landry. Let him run a go route and even though the ball is thrown to other side of the field, have a safety lay him out with a shoulder to chest hit.

Crackback:

"Prohibit crackback blocks by an offensive player in a backfield position and in motion, even if he is not more than two yards outside the tackle when the ball is snapped. A player in motion can legally block a defender if he blocks upfield and not back toward the position where the ball was snapped."

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2017-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

I guess Landry wasnt in the backfield or in motion.

Unnecessary Contact/Defenseless Player:

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

2. Players in a defenseless posture are:

9. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

10. A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2)

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

Seemed like Landry's path was parallel to his end zone.