Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

That is probably Vegas telling you that the ticket scandal will cause the players to be unfocused, and likely to lay an egg tonight.

McD, you are hyping this theory up pretty heavily. I don't know why in the world the players would care about ticketgate. Your off, IMO. I think this is more about getting Jag fans to bet the game to even out the wagers.

Edited by SWFLSkins

i think they might know, but I would bet they really dont care. they are more worried about a roster spot.

Oh they know. I don't believe that is in question.

And if they don't, their wives or family do, and word spreads.

No reason to argue about it. Personally, I don't believe it has huge merit.

I just posted it because it was interesting to see how Vegas is perceiving the issue, with regard to the score of tonight's game. And how an off-the-field distraction causes money to move.

Hopefully they prove to be wrong, and everyone is focused.

That is probably Vegas telling you that the ticket scandal will cause the players to be unfocused, and likely to lay an egg tonight.

McD, you are hyping this theory up pretty heavily. I don't know why in the world the players would care about ticketgate. Your off, IMO. I think this is more about getting Jag fans to bet the game to even out the wagers.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you typed that incorrectly.

Jags were favored by 3.

Now 6 1/2.

This has nothing to do with trying to get Jags fans to bet.

If anything, it has to do with tempting Skins fans to bet, to offset the money that has been bet on Jville.

Edited by McD5

Nah. The line was 3 pts until two days ago.

Most teams don't play starters for more than a few series in the fourth game. Everyone knew we weren't playing starters tonight 5 years ago.

This is ticketgate related.

Not sure how that would have an impact on the players. Do they care that some fans are being sued or that tickets are being sold to "brokers" instead of fans? I seriously doubt it. As long as they get paid, they probably could care less who is in the stands. Maybe more people were betting on the Jags so they raised the spread?

Guys, didn'y you see the broadcast of the Pats game? We were dominated in the Moss yards category!

Only by signing Sinorice Moss can we recover.

:D I saw that stat line, that was pretty funny. If we'd have connected on the one long pass I think our Moss yards would have been better than theirs.

You're assuming an awful lot there McD. I would suggest the most likely reasons for the line moving is that people are betting the Jags heavy at 3 and the line was moved up to balance the spreadsheet. This invariably is why Vegas moves lines. The nuances are left for the gamblers.

The Skins have several star caliber players being held out and have largely set their roster. Give the Jags the standard 3point home field advantage. After that, the line moves with the money, nothing more. It would have to be a much more significant scandal or other player related issue to get Vegas to move a line that is not directly tied to the $$. Not saying its impossible, but it does seem pretty implausible.

Edited by Birdlives
grammar

While ticket gate might be a contributing factor...

Didn't Del Rio announce 2 days ago that his starters would see extended action due to injuries keeping a lot of them out of prior preseason games? I believe he wanted to see both of his first units going deep into the game. Which is unusual for a game 4, but something he felt he had to do for sake of proper evaluation.

Couldn't this decision have affected the betting more than ticket gate? Their starters vs. our 2nd, 3rd teams, etc?

Edit: I found this:

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=172962&t=0

Why the six points?

Closer investigation into the 6-point spread in the Washington-Jacksonville tilt reveals that Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio is planning to run with his starters further into Thursday’s game than most teams do in Week 4.

Del Rio believes there are too many roster spots still in question and doesn’t feel his team is ready for the regular season yet. The biggest questions remaining are on the offensive line where rookies are challenging veterans for the starting gigs.

"Ideally we'd like to roll out a group that for the most part is going to take the field in our opener at Indy. So Thursday I'd like to do that,” he told reporters. “We're going to continue to work through that as a staff and settle on the guys. I think there are still some decisions to be made and we'll have the next couple days to sort through it, but I would like to put what should be as close as we can come to having the starting group on the field when we kick it off Thursday night."[/Quote]

I think this might have much greater impact on the line than ticket gate.

Edited by jkypoo

\I would suggest the most likely reasons for the line moving is that people are betting the Jags heavy at 3 and the line was moved up to balance the spreadsheet. This is invariably why Vegas moves lines.

Once the initial line is set, that's the ONLY reason oddsmakers move the line. Their whole purpose in setting the spread is to keep the bets on each side even. The oddsmakers couldn't give two ****s about the ticket fiasco.

Edited by Dan T.

I"m sure they dont care. But its funny how things like this tend to affect results on the field. Weird even.

Vegas knows best. Always trust in Vegas.

There you go.

I am not saying it will influence the final score.

I am not saying it will have any impact at all.

I am just saying that gamblers are.

We will see how it pans out.

Do I think that 90% of the players on the team are aware that the Skins are being dragged through the mud in the local paper, radio stations and some websites?

Of course. 100%. You don't?

Do they care? I hope not. I hope it isn't a big distraction.

The chance that players are taking mental breaks from tonight's plan, to check the internet for any updates....certainly seems possible. And hence, the line movement since the story broke.

It's human nature.

The Skins/Danny are dragged through the mud constantly. I seriously doubt this has even raised an eyebrow among the players and coaches this week. In fact I would be willing to bet that if someone brought it up to Zorn tomorrow morning it would be the first time he's heard about it. The line very well may be moving because of it but it's a stupid reason to bet one way or another in the preseason. My guess is that it has more to do with the fact that our 3rd and 4th string QBs are going to play all but one series.

The Skins/Danny are dragged through the mud constantly. I seriously doubt this has even raised an eyebrow among the players and coaches this week. In fact I would be willing to bet that if someone brought it up to Zorn tomorrow morning it would be the first time he's heard about it. The line very well may be moving because of it but it's a stupid reason to bet one way or another in the preseason. My guess is that it has more to do with the fact that our 3rd and 4th string QBs are going to play all but one series.

No disagreement here.

It is just interesting to see what drives betting. Nothing more.

A week ago, if Zorn was interviewed before the game, he would have had the normal questions.

"What do you want to see out of JC, the o-line, the 2nd rounders?"

Tonight, included in those questions, he might also be asked "Is the ticketgate scandal having any effect on your team?"

And for that possible distraction, people are laying money on the Jags.

That's all. I find it interesting.

No disagreement here.

It is just interesting to see what drives betting. Nothing more.

A week ago, if Zorn was interviewed before the game, he would have had the normal questions.

"What do you want to see out of JC, the o-line, the 2nd rounders?"

Tonight, included in those questions, he might also be asked "Is the ticketgate scandal having any effect on your team?"

And for that possible distraction, people are laying money on the Jags.

That's all. I find it interesting.

I think that people are missing that point. Nothing else really changed except for this contoversey, and that added 3.5 points.

I'm with you, McD5.

. . . this time. ;)

jkypoo already called it:

Closer investigation into the 6-point spread in the Washington-Jacksonville tilt reveals that Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio is planning to run with his starters further into Thursday’s game than most teams do in Week 4.

This would have far more influence than the ticket thing.

While ticket gate might be a contributing factor...

Didn't Del Rio announce 2 days ago that his starters would see extended action due to injuries keeping a lot of them out of prior preseason games? I believe he wanted to see both of his first units going deep into the game. Which is unusual for a game 4, but something he felt he had to do for sake of proper evaluation.

Couldn't this decision have affected the betting more than ticket gate? Their starters vs. our 2nd, 3rd teams, etc?

Edit: I found this:

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=172962&t=0

I think this might have much greater impact on the line than ticket gate.

I Just thought I would bump this again because it seems to have been missed . I think it is more to do with Jack Del Rios dissertation that he wants to play the starters throughout the first half and Zorn said the starters still actually playing will see no more than a series or two ..

Though conspiracies are fun !!!