Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

On 5/24/2020 at 11:08 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

So I wanted to get back to this, and I just haven't had time.  I've read it a couple times.

The one scheduling "quirk" you can definitively make, and also say it benefits both teams, is Dallas and Detroit playing home games on Thanksgiving.  I would have to go back, but I can't recall Dallas EVER playing an away short-week Thursday game.  Every team has to play a Thursday game, and my memory (I didn't look this up) is that Dallas mostly plays that as a home game on Thanksgiving.  I think the same is mostly true for Detroit. Unless I'm missing something, the biggest schedule disadvantage that you can have is traveling from a Sunday game to a Thursday game.  Especially if the Sunday game is on the road.  

I kindof disagree with the statement of 2 benefits to a bye week: 1 is rest for yourself and the other is to give you an advantage in preparation and rest over your opponent. I am not sure you should say "it should" be the case.  Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

I don't know about all of this, honestly.  There are times when you can over-analyze statistics.  This seems like one of those times. Dunno.

If you are going to look at this kind of thing, I think you should also include west-coast teams traveling east to play a 1:00 game, teams who lose a home game to play internationally, consecutive road games.  

Maybe this is stupid old-school thinking, but you play the teams you play when you play them.  Teams with better talent and better coaching win more games than teams with bad talent and bad coaching. And if you are a good team, it doesn't matter that much where/when you play teams.  I would be willing to bet the 2007 Patriots could have had hte most disadvantageous schedule in the history of football, and still wouldn't have lost a game.  And last year's 'Skins could have had the most advantageous schedule in the history of football, and they still would have ended up 3-13.  Shrug.  

The one scheduling thing which could have helped the 'Skins would have been playing Chicago later in the year when they were more in chaos.  But that's unknowable.  

58 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Word is that the nfl is having teams do training camp at their regular facilities this summer. So, no Richmond for the redskins (i doubt fans were going to be allowed wherever training camps are held anyway)

Could be some decent interactive opportunities with fans not attending. Like player/fan interviews split screen, helmet cam at practices, etc.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I hope limited media presence is at least allowed (with proper precautions). We need those practice tweets to obsess over!

I hope so too. Heck, i want a press conference, not just some crappy zoom or videochat conference. 

although John Keim on twitter said he doesn’t know if they’ll even be allowed at practices either. 

Can we please pump the breaks on saying we have an elite defense?  The only promising component of our defense is the line and maybe a portion of the secondary.  I am not trying to be negative but I cannot help but think of the season when Bruce Smith, Mark Carrier and Dion Sanders were signed and everyone was talking SuperBowl. I love what Ron Rivera and his staff are planning but understand this is a process and there are still way too many questions than there are answers!  Yes...I am excited about Chase Young but we are not going to turn this franchise on the back of one player.  This a process and in my eyes we are still the bottom feeders of the NFC East.

Edited by Redskins Reparations

7 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Can we please pump the breaks on saying we have an elite defense?  The only promising component of our defense is the line and maybe a portion of the secondary.  I am not trying to be negative but I cannot help but think of the season when Bruce Smith, Mark Carrier and Dion Sanders were signed and everyone was talking SuperBowl. I love what Ron Rivera and his staff are planning but understand this is a process and there are still way too many questions than there are answers!  Yes...I am excited about Chase Young but we are not going to turn this franchise on the back of one player.  This a process and in my eyes we are still the bottom feeders of the NFC East.

Toooooootally get where your coming from..I'll get bashed for this, but I've been a fan long enough to know better..I'm putting chase at a bust for right now till he proves to me he's all that and a bag of chips...but im not sure where you're getting this season reminds you of the bruce smith season...what soon to be retired players cashed in one last time with us this off season..I thought they did pretty good in free agency 

21 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:...but im not sure where you're getting this season reminds you of the bruce smith season...what soon to be retired players cashed in one last time with us this off season..I thought they did pretty good in free agency 

My comparison is everyone lost their minds (myself included) that we were headed to the SuperBowl with those high profile free agent signings and now I keep hearing how elite our defense looks after drafting Chase Young.  Bottom line...let’s learn from our past and keep things in perspective.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

My comparison is everyone lost their minds (myself included) that we were headed to the SuperBowl with those high profile free agent signings and now I keep hearing how elite our defense looks after drafting Chase Young.  Bottom line...let’s learn from our past and keep things in perspective.

I have seen people say that our DL could be elite and make things easier for everyone else...but I think the vast majority are very very skeptical of our DB's and LB's as a whole despite a couple potential bright spots. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Am I the only one that is getting bored with every FA FS coming into town wants to be the next Sean Taylor?

Let the guy rest in peace, and try to play football before making stupid claims...

Nobody who's come here has claimed to be the next ST, they all just grew up watching and idolizing him. So as one of the few popular Redskins in modern history, it gets brought up a lot and they all say they model their game after him, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Am I the only one that is getting bored with every FA FS coming into town wants to be the next Sean Taylor?

Let the guy rest in peace, and try to play football before making stupid claims...

I get it. Not hating on why they want to have an impact like Sean. Would like them to say "i want to never miss a game like London Fletcher" or "i want to be the guy who made the big play at the biggest moment like Darrell Green". 

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I get it. Not hating on why they want to have an impact like Sean. Would like them to say "i want to never miss a game like London Fletcher" or "i want to be the guy who made the big play at the biggest moment like Darrell Green". 

So you'd rather they pander to you than just be honest? Most of today's players weren't even out of elementary school yet when Green retired. 

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So you'd rather they pander to you than just be honest? Most of today's players weren't even out of elementary school yet when Green retired. 

Of course not. Unless they were some nfl historian, you'll never hear that. 

So JLC, the little ****, spent an hour on Sheehan's podcast yesterday.  At least, I listened to it yesterday.  

The only salient point of the interview was when he was describing what the 'Skins were doing to him to try and get him off the beat, including,

"they ran the fan message board where they spread lies about me." 

So, yeah. I don't believe the team ever posted anything, or spread information to anybody about JLC.  Guy is still bitter.   @TK @Jumbo, any recollection of what he might be referencing?

He did comment on "that ridiculous show" which was whatever the Larry Michael show was called at the time, where Larry dubbed JLC "the sorcerer."  He was right about that.  That show was ridiculous, and Larry was clearly waging a war on JLC, which was extremely unprofessional.  

48 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So JLC, the little ****, spent an hour on Sheehan's podcast yesterday.  At least, I listened to it yesterday.  

The only salient point of the interview was when he was describing what the 'Skins were doing to him to try and get him off the beat, including,

So, yeah. I don't believe the team ever posted anything, or spread information to anybody about JLC.  Guy is still bitter.   @TK @Jumbo, any recollection of what he might be referencing?

He did comment on "that ridiculous show" which was whatever the Larry Michael show was called at the time, where Larry dubbed JLC "the sorcerer."  He was right about that.  That show was ridiculous, and Larry was clearly waging a war on JLC, which was extremely unprofessional.  

Was that during the Andyman years?

@Voice_of_Reason

tk released photos of jlc's tiny penis under the caption "cigarette dick is also limp as a sports writer" and that got it started

then it became really ugly when i informed everybody how short jlc actually was and how he can't open jars of any kind without help from an adult

i then offered a diagnosis to him that he wasn't disabled, just ineffectual to a debilitating level at everything he pursued

i still get xmas cards from his kids though

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The team has never ran the board. They've just paid the server/VB/Invision costs. 

Did he mention the time when he was hiding in Patrick Ramsey's bushes like a stalker to try to catch him for an interview? Cause that's what started the feud between him & the team. 

I bet he didn't mention though that when he first got on TV after leaving the WP that he got catfished into wearing a pink dress dress shirt for a "chick" that had been texting him. :ols: