Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

7 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

i do say that with 100% confidence.  Look we added Sweat, Allen, Payne on the d-line.  We have 0 long term at LB right now on this roster who is a star, neither at CB.  

Not disagreeing, just wondering how confident you are in this prediction. Starting with what I read today, there is more info coming out that the Skins are "very open" to trading out of #2 pick. Obviously that would mean passing on Chase Young. 

My position is that if they can get a monster haul in a deal back then do it. As we've seen with Guice, players get hurt often in the NFL, even high picks. If we can get 3 high picks at the expense of Chase Young, as great as he may turn out to be, then I'd have to consider it. The hardest part would be if he were to go to the NYG.....

Tough call for the Skins for sure, maybe an offer makes it an easier call.

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Not disagreeing, just wondering how confident you are in this prediction. Starting with what I read today, there is more info coming out that the Skins are "very open" to trading out of #2 pick. Obviously that would mean passing on Chase Young. 

My position is that if they can get a monster haul in a deal back then do it. As we've seen with Guice, players get hurt often in the NFL, even high picks. If we can get 3 high picks at the expense of Chase Young, as great as he may turn out to be, then I'd have to consider it. The hardest part would be if he were to go to the NYG.....

Tough call for the Skins for sure, maybe an offer makes it an easier call.

The issue i have with trading down is that we are trading a game changer. we have none on our roster.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

The issue i have with trading down is that we are trading a game changer. we have none on our roster.  

If you listen to Clinton Portis, he thinks Simmons is more of a game changer than Young. I don't believe it. I'm with you and almost everyone else, we need a superstar, one that makes everyone else better. IF.....that's Chase Young then go get him. BUT, if Simmons is close to being just as good then make the trade. My position all along is that if Simmons narrows the gap to Chase then make the deal and grab Simmons with the extra picks. If Simmons is that big of a drop off then take the sure thing....The Skins have to get this right.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

If you listen to Clinton Portis, he thinks Simmons is more of a game changer than Young. I don't believe it. I'm with you and almost everyone else, we need a superstar, one that makes everyone else better. IF.....that's Chase Young then go get him. BUT, if Simmons is close to being just as good then make the trade. My position all along is that if Simmons narrows the gap to Chase then make the deal and grab Simmons with the extra picks. If Simmons is that big of a drop off then take the sure thing....The Skins have to get this right.

CP says that bc simmons is an animal that can play anywhere, and hes right.  We would need to get 3 additional picks in any return for Chase Young.  2 additional players is not worth it IMO

Any word on what's going on with jordan reed?

I know he's not a Redskin anymore and wont be but I'm curious where he's at as far as continuing his career. 

Has he been getting any interest?

Does anybody think maybe teams are not going after him for his own good, is he asking for too much for someone who can't stay healthy, or is it simply a matter of what's going on in the world so teams can't examine him the way they need to?

Just curious if theres any updates on where he's at, I'd certainly like to see all the best for him wherever his future takes him, unless it's in the NFC east of course.

If Reed is 100% healthy now, and truly desires to continue his career. I don't see any valid reason why it can't be here. We have a need and he's better than most any other option.

Sure it's easy for us to decide what's best for him, but if he disagrees and is healthy, I wouldn't mind him playing for us.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the nfl having a 2020/2021 season with out fans in the stadium's...how weird it would sound..I can see the teams playing and the seats empty but how it would sound on t.v would be nuts...

I'm not a soccer guy and I'm guessing you aren't either but over the last few years they've held some big matches in empty stadiums due to unruly fans and other issues, checking out video of the TV broadcasts is so unsettling

On 3/31/2020 at 10:53 PM, bakedtater1 said:

Do they play their football in District of Columbia?

That's my go-to when Jets or Giants fans ask me why I'm a Skins fan being born and bred in NY? I ask them why they aren't Bill's fans being that the Bill's are the only team that plays in NY?

~Hail

• Haha 1

K..soooooo the season happens..but they play in front of no one..at first..than by week 4 fans start attending and at first there's big patches in the crowds than especially towards seasons end when this pandemic is hopefully behind us the stadiums will be full again.

So than how about trading camps?..from what I understand there will be these mini camp things after the draft but will all be done over the computer..so for training camp hows it going to happen..vigorously testing players and coaches before they get to team facilities to participate?

Edited by bakedtater1

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

So than how about trading camps?..from what I understand there will be these mini camp things after the draft but will all be done over the computer..so for training camp hows it going to happen..vigorously testing players and coaches before they get to team facilities to participate?

It's probably too early to say.

It's only mid-April. We haven't had the draft yet.

We'll see where all this goes come late July.

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

It's probably too early to say.

It's only mid-April. We haven't had the draft yet.

We'll see where all this come late July.

Yep. I’d say especially sometime around Late May, or June, we’ll start hearing things about training camps for the NFL.

apparently the league is planning on backloading division games for late in the season, with inter-conference games early on, in the case that we have a shortened season. That’s why the schedule is delayed until May 8th or 9th. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep. I’d say especially sometime around Late May, or June, we’ll start hearing things about training camps for the NFL.

apparently the league is planning on backloading division games for late in the season, with inter-conference games early on, in the case that we have a shortened season. That’s why the schedule is delayed until May 8th or 9th. 

Yep.

They have to have a training camp. I can't see them just going straight to the season. The players have to train together and get into football shape, or the beginning of the season will be a sloppy, penalty-ridden, injury filled mess.

Though they might do without preseason games.

• Like 2

Just read a thread somewhere about Riggo -- sure, he was 6'2, 230 and ran a 4.43 (which would seem today to be a coveted combination of stats for a running back), but let's remember the offensive line he had.  My first thought was, ok, so you want to penalize him because he had a great offensive line?  I get it. There are other guys who would have been just as successful if they had been given the opportunity to get past the defensive line and run smack into the linebackers.  Every time.  Smack.  John Riggins's offensive line was built to do one thing that nobody could stop.  (Whether it could be duplicated wasn't an issue; these men were focused on   My second thought was, why are you trying to protect the linebackers?

Nobody fears a fancy, high-scoring, made-for-TV-ratings offense.  People may fear what it will do to them.  But nobody fears it for what it is.  They’ve got this new-fangled, complex, high-tech offense that’s going to take time to adjust to, you don’t fear it.  You hope the oddball bounce goes your way, a difference of a finger makes a difference, etc., and you can win.  Something to show your grandkids!  You show off your Super Bowl ring, but the best time you’ve had in years is telling your 10 year old grandson the time your bottom-of-the-division nobody-watches got lucky and upset the highest scoring team in NFL history:  you returned the opening kick (7-0), recovered a fumble and returned it on the subsequent kickoff (14-0).  So they were in a hole and had to pass, which is what they did.  But it was a windy day, with a storm brewing, so they had a tough go of it.  Even if they did score, you’d get it back and do what your offensive line was built specifically to do:  ram the ball down the other team’s throat, play-after-play until the end of the game or they forfeit, whichever comes first.

John Riggins’s offensive line, the Hogs of George Starke, Mark May, Jeff Bostic, Russ Grimm, and Joe Jacoby, were not put together and developed so that Joe Theismann could throw for 4,000 yards (which was real money for your trading card back then).  They were pretty good at it but that’s not why they were together.  Sure, they had to provide a certain minimum level of pass-protection, which was essentially good playoff-team level – wild card or division winner occasionally contending for the conference championship and getting there once (and blown out).  But they were here for one main reason:  so John Riggins could smack into linebackers, safeties, and cornerbacks, play-after-play, all day long.  The Hogs didn’t beat the defensive line by beating them up so much as they did it by neutering them.  The Hogs’ running back was going to run over, or smack around, the opposing team’s linebackers and secondary, and the defensive line couldn’t stop it.

Your defensive line can’t stop them (and gets manhandled by them), and your linebackers and secondary are getting trucked by a 230# running back who gets stronger as the game goes on and has the stamina to break one at 4.45 when everyone else is running out of gas.  That’s who you fear. 

• Like 1