Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

I wonder if it's one of the reasons security at championship ball games is so much tighter than it was in year's past. Fans going bananas after a big win is nothing new. 

post-1924-300x247.jpg

That was the scene in downtown D.C. after the original Nats/Senators won their only World Series. Streets are packed with humanity. The fans mobbed Griffith Stadium after Muddy Ruel came charging in to score the winning run. But as far as I know, nothing was set on fire and no one was hurt badly. 

6882bb721a65fa3aeeeca2066a7cc9eb--nfc-ch

rfk_redskins_10-727x479.jpg

RFK Stadium following the team's first two NFC Championships. Once again, the field is swarmed by the fans. Once again - fans having a good time after storming the field but from all accounts, no one seemed to get hurt badly and the city's cars remained, for the most part, unscathed. 

But something seemed to change around then. There was something edgier and more dangerous about those celebrations. Players seemed less apt to embrace the fans during the raucous celebrations (i.e. Reggie Jackson running like a fullback off the Yankee Stadium outfield and bulldozing anyone that came between him and the dugout after the last out of the 1977 World Series). You really didn't see stuff like that in pro sports after the mid-1980s or so. There doesn't seem to be as much room for those spontaneous celebrations immediately after a big win and all that pent up energy is spent on the streets.  

But maybe that's also sports culture for particular cities. Things got wild in Chicago after the Cubs won the World Series in 2016 but nothing like that terrifying scene in Philly last night (at least from what I've read and seen).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

Good teams execute really well, including recognizing talent.  The pats just retained Josh M, as OC even though he had an offer to be a HC. 

Sadly, one of the Colts' players just died in a car accident.  Also, how healthy is Luck?  The Colts' head coaching job is much harder today than it would have been with a healthy Luck and no car accident.  Could that have been why Josh said no?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ILikeBilly said:

Sadly, one of the Colts' players just died in a car accident.  Also, how healthy is Luck?  The Colts' head coaching job is much harder today than it would have been with a healthy Luck and no car accident.  Could that have been why Josh said no?

That is sad.  I read that the management gave him a huge pay raise and assurances he would be the next head coach, and the bill told him how much he meant for him to be on the sidelines with him.  

• Thanks 1

They're showing the victory parade at the pizza place across the street from my office - owners of the shop are Eagles fans.

I still can't believe they actually did it. I'm not even upset anymore. I'm back to being stunned and, if I'm being honest, impressed with the Eagles as an organization and their leadership. You all who have more inside knowledge of the NFL's inner workings can maybe help me fill in the blanks but it seems like Jeff Lurie has quietly been one of the best team owners in the league. The Eagles were trending downward when he took over and they bottomed out in 1998.They go on to become one of the most consistent teams of the 2000s: four conference championship appearances, an NFC Championship, consistently at or near the top of the division rankings, and consistently in the playoffs. 

But what's really telling to me is how the team's preformed in this decade. The team bottomed out again five seasons ago at 4-12 and then fired their GM/coach before the end of the 2015 season. He had egg all over his face for giving Chip Kelly that much power and fired him less than a year after he got it. That should have put them on the canvas for years. 

Instead they win the Super Bowl two years later with a first time head coach in his sophomore season - 13-3 regular season, number one seed going into the playoffs, and now they're league champions.

Jeff Lurie's Eagles have weathered some nasty storms over the last 24 years - one early on in his tenure and another after a period of pretty consistent winning - and it came after making a bad decision that blew up in his face.

I hate the Eagles but I respect the way they're run. 

• Like 2

The really good teams in this league incorporate trick plays to gain an advantage.

Trick plays no longer seem like a luxury, but a necessity to have in your arsenal, due to the intense competitive nature of the league.

They practice them, master them, and wait until the right time to use them, and makes the difference in winning games, and even a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

I am surviving the lowly eaglets winning it all by the hilarious memory of Brady sprinting full speed at 6 mph and dropping the trick play pass.

I am surprised teams don't try a bevy of trick plays in the regular season. I guess predictably running up the middle for no gain 10 times every single game the entire year takes priority.  Just to keep teams honest.  No lie.

To me? Running numerous trick plays is what really keeps teams honest.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2018 at 12:45 PM, thebluefood said:

They're showing the victory parade at the pizza place across the street from my office - owners of the shop are Eagles fans.

I still can't believe they actually did it. I'm not even upset anymore. I'm back to being stunned and, if I'm being honest, impressed with the Eagles as an organization and their leadership. You all who have more inside knowledge of the NFL's inner workings can maybe help me fill in the blanks but it seems like Jeff Lurie has quietly been one of the best team owners in the league. The Eagles were trending downward when he took over and they bottomed out in 1998.They go on to become one of the most consistent teams of the 2000s: four conference championship appearances, an NFC Championship, consistently at or near the top of the division rankings, and consistently in the playoffs. 

But what's really telling to me is how the team's preformed in this decade. The team bottomed out again five seasons ago at 4-12 and then fired their GM/coach before the end of the 2015 season. He had egg all over his face for giving Chip Kelly that much power and fired him less than a year after he got it. That should have put them on the canvas for years. 

Instead they win the Super Bowl two years later with a first time head coach in his sophomore season - 13-3 regular season, number one seed going into the playoffs, and now they're league champions.

Jeff Lurie's Eagles have weathered some nasty storms over the last 24 years - one early on in his tenure and another after a period of pretty consistent winning - and it came after making a bad decision that blew up in his face.

I hate the Eagles but I respect the way they're run. 

I'm an accidental redskins fan from south philly. I loved routing for my town more than can Snyder team and I've always been an apologist. 

4 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

There are fans leaving because of Kirk, I just don't get the He's in or I'm out deal. 

That's absurd.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I don't know whether this has been posted but Vernon Davis is a huge Curling fan, like an ambassador or something.  I saw this interview and Curling 101 teaching Craig Melvin how to do it and thought it was funny.

https://www.today.com/news/craig-melvin-learns-olympic-curling-nfl-player-vernon-davis-t122835

That's what I ended up watching, followed by our women's hockey team beating Finland.?

Hubby and I love curling...because of the science of it all. :headbang:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm an accidental redskins fan from south philly. I loved routing for my town more than can Snyder team and I've always been an apologist. 

I know I've said it a million times on this forum but you 'Skins fans from outside the D.C. area truly confuse me. I know a lot of you came to the team during the golden years but you all have stuck around. You all a great but you truly confuse me.

28 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I was around before then. It's just a thing. 

And Falcons fans are the worst. 

Well, North Carolina was 'Skins territory for a long time, so I can understand that ("Team of the South" and all that). When I lived down there, I still ran into the occasional 'Skins fan. 

As far as the Falcons are concerned:

I was born in DC and lived in MD until I was 18.  Went away to college and the first 2 years I was in the dorm, but MD was still my home address.  My last 2 years of college I lived in an apartment in TN for the next 6 years (8 total).  Moved back to MD for 4 years, FL for 7, now SC for 12 (almost 13). 

So I lived in the DC area technically for 26 of my 50 years. Always have been and will be a Skins fan.

• Like 3