Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 Most Pivotal Redskins for 2003 - Fullbacks Rock Cartwright and Bryan Johnson

Blondie

10 Most Pivotal Redskins for 2003

10 Most Pivotal Redskins for 2003 - Fullbacks Rock Cartwright and Bryan Johnson

By Rich Tandler

One of the hot books in the business world these days is entitled “Good to Great”. As one would guess from the title, it’s about how good business organizations become great ones. Among the needed components that author Jim Collins says are needed to make this leap are “highly capable individuals”, people who make contributions to the organization through “talent, knowledge, skills, and good work habits.” In other words, you need good role players.

It’s unlikely that Collins knows who Bryan Johnson and Rock Cartwright are, but he could have been referring to the Redskins’ fullback combo. Their blocking helped the Redskins top three tailbacks, Stephen Davis, Kenny Watson, and Ladell Betts, combine for some 1,700 yards rushing. Between them, they caught 28 passes, a total that would have placed fourth on the team.

In 2003, the Redskins can be successful if the duo’s pass-catching productivity is cut by half. Neither of them has to have a breakout season. What will be needed, though, is for them to continue to do the dirty work. Most importantly, they will need to protect quarterback Patrick Ramsey from blitzing linebackers and lineman who break through the first line of the defense.

If one of them occasionally slips through the line and get in the open field as a safety valve, that will be a bonus. But they both might as well go out and get Hog snouts, because that’s what their primary role will be.

I didn't see this posted yesterday. Y'all know I have to put this up.

;)

Blondie

Lookin at the two, seems to me we've pretty much seen what Johson brings: knows where he's supposed to be on the field, has capable hands, decent blocker, no real threat as a runner. A solid -- if unspectacular on any level -- kind of guy.

Rock, on the other hand, seems to have considerably more "upside" potential. I think, with a year now under his belt, that he's likely to have everything Johnson has in terms of smarts, plus more power through the line, which the Skins can dearly use on short yardage; a noticeably more dangerous broken-field threat catching the ball out of the backfield; and possessed of more considerably more speed, something opposing teams will have to account for.

If he shows early that he can handle pass pro duties when called upon, I think he's going to make a very strong case for playing time.

And I ain't saying this just to get X-mas cards, neither. :)

look how low he gets when he runs

What I keep noticing are big thighs and big arms. (Looks like one of those guys who won't get arm-tackled, and should hold onto the ball.) (I also wonder: can he run back kicks? Being hard to tackle could be an advantage there, too.)

(Why do I feel I'm going to regret pointing out that I'd noticed these things.)

Originally posted by Larry

What I keep noticing are big thighs and big arms. (Looks like one of those guys who won't get arm-tackled, and should hold onto the ball.) (I also wonder: can he run back kicks? Being hard to tackle could be an advantage there, too.)

(Why do I feel I'm going to regret pointing out that I'd noticed these things.)

Tis OK Larry. I notice those arms and legs also.

BTW.....he DID run back kicks.....at St. Louis........and Dallas. And did a damn fine job, as I recall.

;)

Blondie

Rock is comparable to a short Otis Wonsley with his explosive blocks due up this year (man some of you guys have no idea what this dude can and will do!)

Johnson is a smaller version of an Original Fullback that was known for his pass catching abilites, speed or "quickness", strange attitude and toughness --- John Riggins. Riggins didn't gain additional weight until with the Skins and when the RB's coach saw what he could do, that big, that speed, that toughness, HE TOOK the RB job.

Rock's low center of gravity will fool opposing players trying to jump over him to get to Ramsey. hope they're wearing their crotch cup :laugh:

Archived