Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yankees sweep Sox

Spaceman Spiff

It's true Boston fans are just awful.

I'd say there are lots of REAL fans here. People who know baseball and, despite their hatred for the Yankees, can even acknowledge the talents of their opponents.

There are also a lot of "Yah-dood" fans - idiots whose idea of the Red Sox' identity is "Jeter Sucks" shirts. The kind too stupid to get it if you point out to them that those t-shirts mean that they're team's identity is based on the Yankees and not on the Red Sox' own merit.

Finally there are the casual fans who can't name more than three regular starters.

I'd say they're split roughly in thirds.

One thing they all have in common - something that probably puts off other baseball fans in other regions - is the Boston way of putting you down. It is merciless. I used to travel a lot playing music, and I always found that our band's sense of humor (a regional Boston thing) was never much appreciated outside the northeast. Generally people thought we were nasty, horrible and mean. We just told them to lighten the **** up and stop smoking so much weed.

Trembley is still employed because you don't fire managers after 2 seasons unless they're doing a very bad job. If the O's stink again next year then fire him.

Next year is the year. Tillman, Matusz, and Arrieta will back up Bergesen and Guthrie to create the best rotation in the AL East :P

anyways I was talking on another forum about how all the old folks up in Boston have deteriorated into irrelevance. Mike Lowell hasn't done **** in months. Varitek continues to be resigned by Boston despite having no offensive threat at all. Jason Bay stinks now and is less of a player than Manny was. **** that offense.

Tell that to the Nationals.

So, tons of people hate the Red Sox because of their fans.

But even more people hate the Yankees, why, because they committed the crime of winning more World Series than anyone ?

Here's why the Sox fans hate them (as far as I can tell from close observation):

1. 26 World Series wins v. 3
  2. Derek Jeter is better than their shortstop on any given year
  3. Boston wants to be as cool as New York
  4. The Yankees and their fans tend to ignore the Red Sox and their fans
  5. George spends a lot of money on free agents (which is funny to hear them say, since their team is usually #2 right behind NY)
  6. We stole Babe Ruth from them
  7. Despite the fact that the Sox have been around longer, the Yankees have a richer history

Here's why the Sox fans hate them (as far as I can tell from close observation):

1. 26 World Series wins v. 3
  2. Derek Jeter is better than their shortstop on any given year
  3. Boston wants to be as cool as New York
  4. The Yankees and their fans tend to ignore the Red Sox and their fans
  5. George spends a lot of money on free agents (which is funny to hear them say, since their team is usually #2 right behind NY)
  6. We stole Babe Ruth from them
  7. Despite the fact that the Sox have been around longer, the Yankees have a richer history

Another big reason the Red Sox fans hate the Yankees (and this could very well top the list):

Bucky Dent - Ask any long time real Red Sox fan what they think of him.

While the Yankee - Red Sox rivalry was long established by that time, nothing hurt the Red Sox fans, more back then, then the Bucky Dent HR in the 1 game playoff at Fenway. It turned the tide of the game. I remember watching that game and seeing the Red Sox fans getting more pissed off than any other time I can remember. For a SS who didn't hit many HR's in his career (40 lifetime), it was only his 4th of the season, it made it worse that he hit it over the Green Monster. That kind of added insult to injury for them, especially since Yastrzemski was the left fielder and this was probably his best and last chance to win a WS Ring. Probably one of the greatest Red Sox players in history, the Yankees denied him a ring.

Many people remember this as the game winning HR, but, it wasn't, it gave the Yankees a 3-2 lead. Jackson hit the game winner, giving the Yankees the win 5-4.

From Wikipedia:

Dent is most famous for his home run in a tie-breaker game against the Boston Red Sox at the end of the 1978 season. The Red Sox had led the American League East Division by as much 14½ games (July 19th) that season.

Archived