Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Annual "Where Do I Watch Games Thread"

NewCliche21

a50fa73c-6a4a-4745-bf04-36ad01d3112c.png

We are stopping the interruptions for donation requests.

Locast Nation

As you probably know, the federal district court in the Southern District of New York issued a ruling in the case brought against Locast by the big media companies.  The court concluded that by interrupting programming to ask users for donations, and by suspending those interruptions based on whether a user makes contributions, Locast actually was charging a fee, not merely seeking a voluntary contribution.  The court then concluded that revenues Locast collects in this manner exceed the cost of operating the service because funds are used to add new markets, rendering Locast ineligible to use the copyright exemption for non-profits (17 U.S.C. 111(a)(5)).

Although we disagree with this interpretation and are exploring our legal options to contest it, out of respect for the court's order,

Locast is suspending immediately all programming interruptions to request donations

This means that anyone located in a market we serve who signs up for Locast will get the service without interruption, regardless of whether or not they donate.

Of course, it is up to you whether or not to contribute to Locast.  But if you currently contribute, we humbly request that you continue to do so.  And if you don't contribute, we hope that you will do so if you can afford it. 

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Locast is suspending immediately all programming interruptions to request donations

This means that anyone located in a market we serve who signs up for Locast will get the service without interruption, regardless of whether or not they donate

14 minutes ago, Monte51Coleman said:

a50fa73c-6a4a-4745-bf04-36ad01d3112c.png

We are stopping the interruptions for donation requests.

Locast Nation

As you probably know, the federal district court in the Southern District of New York issued a ruling in the case brought against Locast by the big media companies.  The court concluded that by interrupting programming to ask users for donations, and by suspending those interruptions based on whether a user makes contributions, Locast actually was charging a fee, not merely seeking a voluntary contribution.  The court then concluded that revenues Locast collects in this manner exceed the cost of operating the service because funds are used to add new markets, rendering Locast ineligible to use the copyright exemption for non-profits (17 U.S.C. 111(a)(5)).

Although we disagree with this interpretation and are exploring our legal options to contest it, out of respect for the court's order,

This means that anyone located in a market we serve who signs up for Locast will get the service without interruption, regardless of whether or not they donate.

Of course, it is up to you whether or not to contribute to Locast.  But if you currently contribute, we humbly request that you continue to do so.  And if you don't contribute, we hope that you will do so if you can afford it. 

Thank you.

So, they're "suspending immediately all programming interruptions"

If I understand that correctly, it's basically a Double Negative.

So service will continue ? To put it simply, lol

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So, they're "suspending immediately all programming interruptions"

If I understand that correctly, it's basically a Double Negative.

So service will continue ? To put it simply, lol

It will continue without donations but the case is moving ahead. The days are numbered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Less than a week after I donated to them so I could watch a race uninterrupted. Well that sucks. $5 wasn't a huge price to pay, but my local Fox and NBC broadcasters have cut their power again, so I get no football except for CBS. **** me, I guess.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

It will continue without donations but the case is moving ahead. The days are numbered.

I think that the problem was that they were basically requiring donations, making it a for-profit.

It's hopefully going to help their argument.

Just got the e-mail.  **** my life

Edited by NewCliche21

No Locast and living out west sucks.  Time to decide if I want to go down the rabbit hole of figuring out what service carries what game  on what day and then paying out the nose for different services or walking away from trying to watch on a weekly basis... leaning towards the latter

• Sad 1

Last season, since I live in an apartment complex, I ended up getting Sunday TIcket via the streaming app on Android. It ended up only being $100, so well worth it to me. IT's only $100 if you're a student (or if you submit a Fall 2021 schedule to them when signing up....wink wink.)

I think this is only eligible for condo/apartment dwellers though who can't have satellites.

1 hour ago, Digger said:

No Locast and living out west sucks.  Time to decide if I want to go down the rabbit hole of figuring out what service carries what game  on what day and then paying out the nose for different services or walking away from trying to watch on a weekly basis... leaning towards the latter

SlingTV seems to have FOX and NBC in their Orange service. If I break down, it'll be worth it since Fox carries the majority of the games and NBC gives me Sunday Night Football.

But it also costs $35 a month and I'm still annoyed that I'd have to pay that just because the broadcasters here are cheapskates and cut their power output.

Locast sent me another email, this time to tell me that my monthly donation has been cancelled. I feel like that's the nail in the coffin.

• Thumb up 1

A Jailbroken Firestick is your answer.  One time purchase, no monthly fee (unless you add programming) and you can watch any game you please.  Honestly works great.  look into it.  You don't have to do it yourself as you can purchase them already ready to go.  As a side benefit you can watch all the movies, or basically, anything you want, anytime. 

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Thanks 1

yea, this locast thing blows.... I have been able to get my YTTV to be tricked to pick up DC market on my phone (I am in Raleigh NC) and I can watch locals on phone but when i try to chromecast to my large TV it gives me errors now... same with Fubo TV (set up a free trial)... i am able to trick using fakegps and get DC market on phone but won't chromecast to TV. Got 9 days to figure out best option and hopefully that option isnt watching on my phone... hmmmm... though maybe even though I get errors chromecasting from the YTTV and FUBO apps when faking my GPS, maybe i can chromecast my entire phone screen and not just from the apps... i'll have to try today/

19 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

A Jailbroken Firestick is your answer.  On time purchase, no monthly fee (unless you add programming) and you can watch any game you please.  Honestly works great.  look into it.  You don't have to do it yourself as you can purchase them already ready to go.  As a side benefit you can watch all the movies, or basically, anything you want, anytime. 

Not sure how to do it without the locast app, though :(

15 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Not sure how to do it without the locast app, though :(

Locast is not needed with the Firestick at all.  The Firestick just gets connected via a USB port directly to your TV.  It has it's own remote control.  You just need wifi and the Firestick will be good to go.  No computer or extensions needed.  It's really easy unless you are jailbreaking yourself and that's not super hard, you just have to download the correct apps, go slow, and study.  

On 8/12/2021 at 7:10 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Anyone with experience with FuboTV? It's $65 a month, but should have all the games and a bunch of other channels.

I jail broke my firestick and it comes in choppy and I have to search for ****. It's annoying. 

Think I'm springing for this.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Locast is not needed with the Firestick at all.  The Firestick just gets connected via a USB port directly to your TV.  It has it's own remote control.  You just need wifi and the Firestick will be good to go.  No computer or extensions needed.  It's really easy unless you are jailbreaking yourself and that's not super hard, you just have to download the correct apps, go slow, and study.  

Sorry, what I meant is that I don't know how to watch out of market games using said firestick

I wonder why your Firestick is coming in choppy?  I'm sorry about that.  Mine works well.  How old is your Firestick?  Just trying to trouble shoot remotely for you.  If it's older it may not have the capacity or speed to keep up & may be why it is choppy.  I also clean out my/its Cashe daily to keep it "clean".  Mine is a 2021 and may have more processing speed.  Wish I could help you out. 

Edited by Riggo'sRangers

16 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I wonder why your Firestick is coming in choppy?  I'm sorry about that.  Mine works well.  How old is your Firestick?  Just trying to trouble shoot remotely for you.  If it's older it may not have the capacity or speed to keep up & may be why it is choppy.  I also clean out my/its Cashe daily to keep it "clean".  Mine is a 2021 and may have more processing speed.  Wish I could help you out. 

I bought a new 4k for this. It's cool though. 

23 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

A Jailbroken Firestick is your answer.  One time purchase, no monthly fee (unless you add programming) and you can watch any game you please.  Honestly works great.  look into it.  You don't have to do it yourself as you can purchase them already ready to go.  As a side benefit you can watch all the movies, or basically, anything you want, anytime. 

My buddy just sent me one in the mail last month... It's a game-changer for sure.  Every PPV fight, Sunday Ticket, 24/7 channels( that include Simpsons, Seinfeld, Always Sunny and hundreds more) just running episodes with no commercials all day, and not to mention HUNDREDS of Adult channels for the wife.

• Haha 2