Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Annual "Where Do I Watch Games Thread"

NewCliche21

This sounds good, but I just don't see why we can't watch it live.  I will pay the money AND watch the commercials.  

Or, if FOX, NBC, and CBS wanted to be REALLY smart, then they would do what NFL Network does and just let me watch the same damned thing that they're showing on TV through their own website.  Viewership goes up, IP addresses can determine who gets ad money, and everyone is happy.

Me finding ways to watch it that don't make the NFL any money = $0.

Charging me whatever just to watch my team's games out of market = More than $0.  It's a no-brainer.

• Like 2

I feel the same. But I'll work around it.

CSN turns off as soon as Redskins Nation comes on, says it's not available. The lady I talked to at Comcast was from Woodbridge, and a fan. Nobody could figure it out. I'll take it to the conspiracy thread. LOL

Suit claims DirecTV's "NFL Sunday Ticket" is illegal

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/suit-claims-directvs-nfl-sunday-ticket-is-illegal/

SAN FRANCISCO - DirecTV's (DTV) exclusive right to broadcast certain NFL games is an illegal monopoly that raises costs for bars and restaurants, a San Francisco bar says in a lawsuit against the league and the satellite TV provider.

The lawsuit filed this week in federal court in California challenges DirecTV's deal with the league for "NFL Sunday Ticket," which gives DirecTV subscribers nationwide live broadcasts of many Sunday games played in other cities. Those games are available to the subscribers only through DirecTV.

The lawsuit by the bar Ninth Inning says the deal stifles competition by preventing other TV providers, such as Dish Network (DISH), from airing the games. It also means individual teams don't have to compete to get their games broadcast in markets outside their home cities.

"DirecTV's arrangement with the NFL allows the defendants to restrict the output of, and raise the prices for, the live broadcast of NFL Sunday afternoon out of market games," the lawsuit says.

The suit seeks class-action status on behalf of other bars and restaurants that subscribe to Sunday Ticket, monetary damages and a court order forbidding the exclusive deal.

Calls to the NFL and DirecTV weren't immediately returned.

Bars and restaurants must show these games to effectively run their businesses, the lawsuit contends. A bar or restaurant with a fire code occupancy between 51 and 100 people will pay a little more than $2,300 for Sunday Ticket in 2015, according to the suit.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

totally agree about DirecTV to an extent. 

But I'd rather it be on a cable/satellite provider than on a game system like we almost had happen last season.

I feel the same. But I'll work around it.
CSN turns off as soon as Redskins Nation comes on, says it's not available. The lady I talked to at Comcast was from Woodbridge, and a fan. Nobody could figure it out. I'll take it to the conspiracy thread. LOL

That just means that you are out of market.

The same thing happens to me in North Carolina cause I'm in Panthers territory.  In fact, the only team it doesn't happen with is the Nationals because North Carolina doesn't have a baseball team. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get the NFL Preaseason Access for $20...is that gone now? I can't seem to find it on the website. The NFL SUNDAY TICKET.TV would be perfect for me but of course it isn't available in my area (what's up with that?).

Looks like another season of dealing with blowhards at the Sports bar.

If you know someone locally, ask them if you can use one of their cable provider boxes. If so purchase a slingbox and hook it up to cable provider box and you can operate that cable provider box as your own anywhere in the world. If you have internet connection you are able to stream all local channels to your computer anywhere you go. Very easy and simple to use, i have used it over 3 years. I am military and have watched Redskins and National games in Turkey, Italy and Germany. i am in Kansas City now and still streaming. Slingbox.com

Ok, I figure this is probably the best place to post this.

I'm considering changing how I "get" my Redskins fix.

For several years, I've paid the NFL for permission to stream the Redskins audio. (Which I really like, except for their delay. Towards the end of the games, the audio stream may be 45 seconds or more behind the TV broadcast.).

And, last few years, they've allowed me to stream the video, of the preseason games. (Although, with a huge delay, and ALWAYS the other team's stream).

But this year, they want $100, to allow me to do that. I'm looking at other options.

One thing I just looked at, was Direct TV. They're doing a deal where I can sign up for Direct TV, at supposedly $25/mo, and get free Sunday Ticket, on top of that. (Since right now, I'm paying around $100/mo for pretty basic cable, that looks like a heck of a deal).

One thing that sets off my warning alarms, though, is that those are one year prices, with a two year contract.

I also wonder about reliability. I've heard commercials (run by the cable company) about DTV going out when it rains. And one of mom's restaurants subscribes to DTV, and yeah, their signal went out a lot.

I also wonder what the installation is like. I'd rather not have their installer in the house, if I can avoid it. The house is wired for cable, right now. ( I wired it). Will DTV use the existing wiring, inside? Will I need their boxes (and another remote) for every TV?

Or, at one point last year, I was considering getting a home satellite radio receiver, and just signing up for Sirius, at home. Anybody know much, about that?

The DirecTV installer will need access to the inside of your house to install all the control boxes and make sure everything works. Its a free installation. Just be there when he is there to install. My installer was perfectly fine and did the job quickly and efficiently. He preferred to run his own cable outside the house to ensure the signal was good. What's wrong with new cable? He won't replace your interior wiring if you do not want him to. But he has to hook it up.

In addition, the the costs, you may also have to pay a $10/month HD fee and other stuff. The sales guy on the phone can give you the full cost without you having to commit. Talk to someone. Don't just try to do it on the internet if you are a first timer.

Yes, the most irritating thing is the loss of signal during bad thunderstorms; only when the darkest clouds are over head, not during the entire storm. It sucks;  But the quality of the picture here in Harrisburg PA was/is far superior to what I had with Comcrap. It's also been 6-7 years and I have never had a single problem with any of the equipment including my DVRs that allow me to save TV programming. But it does always seem a thunderstorm hits when I want to watch or record something really good. But if you want the NFL ticket, you have no other options. Trust me Comcrap and FIOS lose their signals too during a thunderstorm. Where do you think their TV signals come from?   ....yes from a satellite. So if their local station gets hit with a thunderstorm, their signals go out, too. But those stations do have better technology and larger sophisticated satellite dishes so the problem is not as often as a local satellite dish on your roof.

You will most likely get a 2 year contract and the discounted programming and free NFL Ticket only lasts the first year. Sometime in the second year you will have to call customer service and ask for a "deal" or threaten to quit/stop service to get a better "retain the customer" deal. It's a pain. But it is true with DISH, Comcrap and FIOS, too. You have to play their little game. I have to call in a few weeks to get my "deal" and NFL Ticket for free or a significantly reduced rate. Just the way all the cable/satellite/phone companies are doing business these days. It sucks.

I've had DirecTV and NFL-ST since 1995. DirecTV's customer service is not as good as it used to be. Their customer service sucks these days. I was hoping that the AT&T/DirecTV merger would help, but I have AT&T phone+U-verse DSL service, and they suck too.  All in all; DirecTV is about the same as any of the other cable/sat services. They treat existing customers like crap and new subscribers like gold. Still, it is the only way for me to see Skins games every week. Looks like I too will have to call this week or next and try to get one of my DVRs replaced (it's a 15 year old faulty piece of crap, while new subs get the latest and greatest technology like the Genie) and see if they will give me some sort of credit towards Sunday Ticket. I am getting real tired of spending >$110/month for 20 years and being treated like crap!

DirecTV tip:  Some installers are not very thorough.  They align your dish until it works but they don't improve on it.  You'd want one person at the TV with a phone or within shouting range when at the signal strength page, and another person on the roof slowly aligning the dish to find the centerpoint for the best reception signal.

This will help a lot with making DirecTV only go out during the heaviest rain or snow storms.

Edited by TysonM

I've watched every single game for the last 3 seasons on my computer...I do what I gotta do. 

...like made my chair super comfy, even have a couple shoe boxes to put my feet up on...whatever gets it done...for free.

And for that privilege, I'm eternally grateful.  Thank you, internet sports gods.

Does anyone understand/know what the hell the NFL is doing with the streaming of preseason games this year? I usually sign up about this time, but all I can find is crap about the whole season. https://www.nfl.com/gamepass I don't need the whole season because I pay a buttload for NFL-ST. Honestly, they should throw in preseason games for what they charge us for NFL-ST every year!

• Like 1

DirecTV tip:  Some installers are not very thorough.  They align your dish until it works but they don't improve on it.  You'd want one person at the TV with a phone or within shouting range when at the signal strength page, and another person on the roof slowly aligning the dish to find the centerpoint for the best reception signal.

This will help a lot with making DirecTV only go out during the heaviest rain or snow storms.

That's why I went ahead and invested in one of these http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=AIM&d=AIM-Advanced-Installation-Signal-Meter-for-DIRECTV-Satellite-Dishes-%28AIM%29&sku=610370580820&q=meter last year. The buffoons that DirecTV sends made me go ahead and bite the bullet. There ARE cheaper meters that would do fine, and you can sometimes find slightly used ones on eBay, but this one is the best and makes the isntall extremely fast and easy to get MAX signal strength. You can also use the on screen meters from the DVR and come pretty close, but it's not possible if you don't have line of sight with a TV when you're on the roof. Up until my first HD DVR and dish install about 9 years ago, I installed all of my equipment and dishes. That was the first time a "professional" was "required" to do an install, and shall be the LAST time. It's not hard to do it all yourself, but you have to learn what to do and how to do it properly, and the results will be superior. It has gotten more complicated with SWM and all, but it's still not that difficult.

Edited by TD Riggo
  • Like 1

Gone with Game Pass this year myself but just a heads up theres always streams (usually quite good ones) put up here https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams/

I've done streams before but usually they are so damn unreliable and often they are crap. Also, by time you actually find one that works and click through 37 screens while being extra careful NOT to click a link that will download a virus, it's halftime. And often, the streams are shut down before the end of the game. IOW .. way too damn frustrating to see maybe a quarter or two in bad quality. That is why I went ahead and paid the 5, 10, 15 bucks the last 2 or 3 seasons to watch the preseason games. But I can't for the life of me find a link for subscribing to JUST the preseason games this year. (Yes, even after they billed me three times for one package last year and I had to pull my eyeteeth to get the two refunds).

Goodell is running a damn clown college!

Edited by TD Riggo

I think they scrapped the preseason package because ppl were buying that and not game pass (which looks like a waste IMO if your team sucks)

The majority of normal people watch their team's games live. Having regular season games on Demand serves no purpose for me. I'm not breaking down film. Everyone would like the ability to watch the preseason games. This new Game Pass is awful 

• Like 1