Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Three Year Plan

Even Madder

2002: Added coach Spurrier, drafted QB-of-the-future. Struggled through losing season with makeshift line and offensive weapons ill-suited to Spurrier-ball.

2003: Rebuilt offensive line, added two key weapons at WR. Young QB gains experience in 9-7 season.

2004: Rebuild defensive line, adding a pass-rushing DE and a physical DT. Offense hits its stride, lighting up the NFL on the way to Superbowl.

I think Spurrier stays if there's definite progress made. If, for example, Pat Ramsey shows he's not the one and we go back to the drawing board for a QB, I'd guess that Spurrier won't hang around.

It's pretty frustrating for me - while I respected the job Schottenheimer did with what he had to work with, I was all for Spurrier. When you get a chance to get the most charismatic coach in college ball, you take it.

But Spurrier's not a young guy and I don't see him hanging around for one of our endless rebuilding cycles.

I think he will stay for at least 3. I don't see him as someone who can leave on a losing note......doesn't seem to fit the character that he has portrayed.

That said.......I like this plan. Should I look for SB tickets now?

;)

Blondie

I'll admit it, I didn't want Spurrier here when he was hired, I wanted Schottenheimer to ride our great finish to that season and take us to the playoffs, which I still believe he would have done. But, I don't run this team (and a good thing I don't because we wouldn't have any fullbacks).

Hey. I'm looking at S.S. and his 5 year contract, ( and agreeing with Blondie). Counting on 2 more past the 3 year plan. I'm thinking/hoping he and the rest can pull it off. I was fan of Marty when he first came on board, but as the season came to an end...that changed. I found his management style, both on the field and off, to strict and presumptive. Banks as the #1 QB was to say the very least....frustrating. S.S. may not have done any better his 1st season, but what he could bring in the future is what counts. We saw glimpses of it last season. this team should be damned exciting to watch over the next 4 ;) years.

:cheers:

I think SS hangs around for atleast 4 yrs no matter his record.too much money to just walk away from if dan still believes in him.

i like your 3yr plan EM but i could see it taking 1 more (yr4) to accomplish it .not sure if we'll make the playoffs this yr.maybe if luck is finally on our side.2004 playoffs & 2005 is euphoria.it's also the yr where they've(FO) built the team to peak salarycap wise so to speak.....

I can't remember the last time a guy walked away from a guaranteed $5 million paycheck voluntarily :)

Besides the business angle, these guys are competitors. Spurrier isn't going to give up until and unless Snyder fires him.

If the team goes 9-7 this year and the younger players we brought in look good, he will say we now have the foundation and are just waiting for some added seasoning for 2004.

Norv was here for 7 mostly dreadful campaigns and even at the end did it look like he was ever going to just walk away?

I am grateful to Marty for his contribution in cleaning up our cap mess. However, as a coach, he was a huge disappointment. The overall problems with the players, end of season collapse, and refusal to address his weaknesses were indicative of his inflexibility and missing/eroding skills for today’s NFL. Spurrier’s performance was lacking as well last year, but he appears to be learning from it (I hope). Who knows whether the 3 year plan will work? There are so many variables that can waylay the best strategies….but I am sure glad that Spurrier is at the helm trying to make it happen. He (backed with Dan’s resources and desire to win) at least gives us hope.

Originally posted by Angus

Hasn't Spurrior said he is not hanging around for another year if he doesn't have a winning season this year?

I don't remember him ever saying that. But if he has a losing record, the Dan might get a little impatient.

If SS goes at least 7-9, he'll get one more year. I wouldn't say that two years ago, but the media pressure has to get to Snyder at some point. If Spurrier were fired, every senior writer on the planet would storm Redskins Park and crucify Danny Boy.

Plus SS was practically handpicked by the Dan. He's not going to give up on HIS GUY, two losing seasons or not.

6-10 or below though, Spurrier is gone.

Didn't most media outlets report that Snyder wanted Spurrier the second he became owner. Also I heard he only signed Schott, because Spurrier didn't want to leave Florida that year. So I guess if you have a chance to get your first pick of coach, you take it. I think Spurrier has gotten double the criticism because he is the Redskins coach, not because of any supposed hatred of the Skins by the media, rather the fact that the Redskins franchise is a proud and storied franchise trying to get back to the promised land, so every failure is magnified, where as if Spurrier coached the Browns last year and he failed with them, it would have been expected and would have never got the same coverage.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

I don't remember him ever saying that. But if he has a losing record, the Dan might get a little impatient.

If SS goes at least 7-9, he'll get one more year. I wouldn't say that two years ago, but the media pressure has to get to Snyder at some point. If Spurrier were fired, every senior writer on the planet would storm Redskins Park and crucify Danny Boy.

Plus SS was practically handpicked by the Dan. He's not going to give up on HIS GUY, two losing seasons or not.

6-10 or below though, Spurrier is gone.

I do remember SS saying if he didn't feel he could improve in the next season or so, that he would step down and give some one else a shot. But he didn't give any hard criteria for him to step down.

media pressure never got to Steinbrenner. it wasn't until major league baseball suspended him that Cashman and the Yankees were able to resurrect themselves.

and now George is on course to meddle and ruin everything once again.

Spurrier said that if, after three years, he still hasn't gotten the team into the playoffs, then he would voluntarily walk away because he obviously hadn't gotten the job done.

I think Spurrier has a VERY long leash from Snyder. He is Snyder's guy. It would take a total calamity for Snyder to whack him after this season. In which case, it would be justified.

Archived