Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Military action against Iran an option: US official

stratoman

http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/nat/newsnat-20jun2003-65.htm

The United States reserves the right to take military action against Iran over its nuclear program, a senior member of the US administration said, but added that any such move was "far from our minds" at present.

John Bolton, Under-Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security, told BBC radio that military action was a last resort but insisted that Iran could not be allowed to develop a nuclear weapons capability.

Interviewed on the BBC's Today program, Mr Bolton said that US President George W Bush "has repeatedly said that all options are on the table. But that (military action) is not only not our preference, it is far far from our minds."

Pressed on whether military action remained a possibility, Mr Bolton said: "It has to be an option."

"Nuclear weapons are incredibly dangerous and when you couple the Iranian nuclear program with their aggressive efforts to expand the range of their ballistic missiles, they are bringing more and more of our friends and allies within range," he said.

Mr Bolton added: "What our objective is now is to stop the Iranian nuclear weapons programme before they achieve a weapons capability.

"They are pursing multiple routes to nuclear weapons and we need to get that stopped."

Iran says it is seeking nuclear power for civilian uses, a position Washington has overtly rejected.

Iran has no plans: Putin

Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin says he believes that Iran has no plans to develop nuclear weapons.

Mr Putin says he was personally assured by Iranian President Mohammad Khatami two days ago.

He also says he believes that Iran is ready to submit its nuclear energy programme to full monitoring by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Mr Putin says Russia stands by the US in opposing the development of weapons of mass destruction.

"Russia's position and the position of the US on this regard is much closer than it seems at first glance," he said.

"We proceed from our principle position in accordance with which we [are] categorically against the spread of the proliferation of the mass destruction weapons on our planet.

"We are for the reinforcement and strengthening of non proliferation regimes."

The Russians were the ones who helped them develop this in the first place. The idea that an oil rich country would develop nuclear power for the sake of power-generation is laughable. Iran is the nation I fear the most in the world, because I fear its leaders are not deterred by the MAD doctrine - I think they have the delusion that Allah will bless and or protect them if they use nukes to wipe out Tel Aviv, for example. A strategic strike such as the one the Israelis carried out against Iraq's Osirak plant would be ideal. More than ideal, it's a necessity. Nor would the Iranians be justified in crying foul, since they attempted (unsuccessfully) to wipe out Iraq's nuclear power facilities themselves prior to the Israeli mission. The key will be getting proper intelligence to ensure accurate and effective targeting.

Iran is also the biggest state sponsor of terrorism. I have little doubt if they get nukes, they will pass them off to Hezbollah.

Act now before it’s to late.

Screw the uproar, ask questions later, just do the deed now before its too late.

Iran may be the biggest two faced country in the world. Khatami, with all of his rhetoric of reform and change, has done little to improve the quality of life and freedoms he said he would deliver. Iran continues to sow seeds of anti-US and anti-Israel hatred while putting on a smile to assure the world they are in the process of “reforming”. Khatami’s whole speech on CNN in 1998 where he talked about “Laws” and a just society seems to be nothing than word play to give him more time to develop weapons, while the world sat back and waited for reform. He mentioned among other things, America’s foundation being Plymouth Rock and the values that stood for – then compared its significance to the holy rock at Mecca to the Islamic world. I think the guy is totally full of sh-t and has duped the West into thinking his intentions were admirable when in fact they most likely aren’t.

I, for one, am hoping the people of Iran will overthrow their government. It looks like this is starting to happen. I get little tid bits of info from some Iranians in Tehran that I talk to on ICQ. They say the mullahs have lost all support from the population and that they want American style democracy. Radical Islam is on it's death bed!

Originally posted by riggo-toni

The Russians were the ones who helped them develop this in the first place. The idea that an oil rich country would develop nuclear power for the sake of power-generation is laughable. Iran is the nation I fear the most in the world, because I fear its leaders are not deterred by the MAD doctrine - I think they have the delusion that Allah will bless and or protect them if they use nukes to wipe out Tel Aviv, for example. A strategic strike such as the one the Israelis carried out against Iraq's Osirak plant would be ideal. More than ideal, it's a necessity. Nor would the Iranians be justified in crying foul, since they attempted (unsuccessfully) to wipe out Iraq's nuclear power facilities themselves prior to the Israeli mission. The key will be getting proper intelligence to ensure accurate and effective targeting.

Iran is also the biggest state sponsor of terrorism. I have little doubt if they get nukes, they will pass them off to Hezbollah.

1) Iranians were in a war between Iraq when the Osirik Reactor was targeted

2) There is a chance a big chance that even an ideal strike with no death will destroy all momentum in the revolutionary movement, Iranians will unite against a foreign aggressor (Khomeini's governement was not very unified till the Iraqis invaded but during the war there was no resistance against him)

3) The US Gov is only putting this out to put pressure on the Ayotolahs I dont actually see any military action in this entire scenerio

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

Act now before it’s to late.

Screw the uproar, ask questions later, just do the deed now before its too late.

Iran may be the biggest two faced country in the world. Khatami, with all of his rhetoric of reform and change, has done little to improve the quality of life and freedoms he said he would deliver. Iran continues to sow seeds of anti-US and anti-Israel hatred while putting on a smile to assure the world they are in the process of “reforming”. Khatami’s whole speech on CNN in 1998 where he talked about “Laws” and a just society seems to be nothing than word play to give him more time to develop weapons, while the world sat back and waited for reform. He mentioned among other things, America’s foundation being Plymouth Rock and the values that stood for – then compared its significance to the holy rock at Mecca to the Islamic world. I think the guy is totally full of sh-t and has duped the West into thinking his intentions were admirable when in fact they most likely aren’t.

sigh, well you are right that Khatami has not delivered on his promises whether or not his has the power to make reform is a moot point now since he too has lost all support in the populace. Besides which Iran probly cant make nukes till atleast 6 or 7 years so it is not nearly as pressing a matter as you say.

Archived