Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pictures from the USS Wisconsin

codeorama

Took my son to Nauticus in Norfolk Va today, he loved the Wisconsin, he wanted me to blow something up... I showed him a YouTube video of the Wisconsin firing its guns and he though we were going to get to see that too... Oh well, he still had a great time...

xl_1247247704_7095946c5bd1a6dc11f06d638fb676a7.jpg

xl_1247248708_1ee1972303b7b3ea9ca39ee999f7f24b.jpg

xl_1247248984_7fca841af60ffa49cfb94432a0bee07a.jpg

You can see all the photos here but beware, most are cheesy dad taking pics of his son pics...

www.fuzzyshot.com/cochsenfeld

When I lived in Norfolk, some friends went on a tour of an Iowa class.

They said the most impressive thing about the tour was, they brought you into the ship through an "airlock": Two watertight doors, 16 inches apart. And the tour guide pointed out the two (open) doors, and pointed out that the space in between them is armor. All the way around the ship.

When I lived in Norfolk, some friends went on a tour of an Iowa class.

They said the most impressive thing about the tour was, they brought you into the ship through an "airlock": Two watertight doors, 16 inches apart. And the tour guide pointed out the two (open) doors, and pointed out that the space in between them is armor. All the way around the ship.

Yep, a belt all the way around. Hard for me to imagine that being built. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Code, I live in Chesapeake (new to area) and didn't know they had that in Norfolk. Can you give any details on how to get to it? Hints/tips on when to go or whatever? Appreciate it.

EDIT: Found some info on the web after posting this. (It just didn't come up at first.) I went to see the Constellation in Baltimore when I lived there. Very cool. Thanks for bringing up the Wisconsin, I'll be sure to go sometime soon.

I still keep thinking that there are situations where the Iowa class battleships can be useful.

Among other things, because of their psychological effect.

I agree. And I hate to be "that guy," but I can't help but immediately think, what would Obama think if he toured this ship? I'm pretty sure the thoughts would be a lot different than yours and mine- probably somewhere along the lines of :doh: How could we ever have been caveman enough to wield a weapon like this? This just screams "We can **** you up!" We can't have that. I've got to work up an apology for ever having used this thing against other humans.

I agree. And I hate to be "that guy," but I can't help but immediately think, what would Obama think if he toured this ship? I'm pretty sure the thoughts would be a lot different than yours and mine- probably somewhere along the lines of :doh: How could we ever have been caveman enough to wield a weapon like this? This just screams "We can **** you up!" We can't have that. I've got to work up an apology for ever having used this thing against other humans.

Congratulations! You are now officially "that guy". :loser:

Took my son to Nauticus in Norfolk Va today

You can see all the photos here but beware, most are cheesy dad taking pics of his son pics...

Nice Pics Code. I've got 50 or so rolls of film of mine at that age on outings like that (as a single dad). I wish digital cameras were around back then.

Nice Pics Code. I've got 50 or so rolls of film of mine at that age on outings like that (as a single dad). I wish digital cameras were around back then.

I wish the same thing. I used to have a ton of pics from my many visits to the Air Force museum at Wright-Pat. Sadly, they are MIA from moving several times.

Code-

I sailed on the Iowa for 2+ years, from '86-'89. It's the first of the class and sister ship to the Wisconsin. You got some awesome shots there. Somebody posted one of a broadside fire that I think actually is the Iowa. Cheers!

Yep, a belt all the way around. Hard for me to imagine that being built. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Code, I live in Chesapeake (new to area) and didn't know they had that in Norfolk. Can you give any details on how to get to it? Hints/tips on when to go or whatever? Appreciate it.

EDIT: Found some info on the web after posting this. (It just didn't come up at first.) I went to see the Constellation in Baltimore when I lived there. Very cool. Thanks for bringing up the Wisconsin, I'll be sure to go sometime soon.

Its very easy to find as you've probably already figured out, just go to waterside, stay on waterside drive and you can't miss it. Its a block or two away from MacArthur Mall.

Let me know if you you want any other info about local stuff, lots of cool things to do...!

Code-

I sailed on the Iowa for 2+ years, from '86-'89. It's the first of the class and sister ship to the Wisconsin. You got some awesome shots there. Somebody posted one of a broadside fire that I think actually is the Iowa. Cheers!

Wow. that's pretty cool, I can't imagine being on a ship like that in the open ocean, as big as it is, its still hard to imagine it crashing through waves.

Code-

That was me. :D Yes, it's the Iowa, came off the wikipedia page. The caption says the pic is from 1984.

Let me know if you you want any other info about local stuff, lots of cool things to do...!

Absolutely! Just PM me. I know about the airshows at NAS Oceana; I haven't made it to one yet, but I get invited to every one by my wife's aunt and uncle who live right at the end of one of their runways. I know that the naval bases are there but not what is accessible to the public.

Code I lived in Norfolk and Portsmith in the 60's, dad was flying off one of the carriers, too young to remember which one. Living in Nova, I preferred going to VA beach over Ocean city, MD and went there several time per summer. It might have taken a couple more hours to get there normally but coming back from OC, you could spend 5-10 extra hours in the CB bridge traffic. After a couple times doing that I said never again. :mad:

Archived