Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Flashback - Jacoby Was the Heart of the Hogs

titus3

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Flashback__Jacoby_Was_the_Heart_of__The_Hogs__42479.jsp

click on link for rest of article

by Michael Richman

It was opening day of training camp in July 1981 at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa., when first-year Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs looked at another new arrival, 6-7, 300-pound Joe Jacoby, and automatically mistook him for a defensive lineman.

Offensive line coach Joe Bugel had helped recruit Jacoby, an undrafted rookie free agent out of Louisville.

"I must have spent 20 minutes telling him about the great chance he had to make the team as a defensive tackle," Gibbs said. "He never said a word to me, never corrected me. We already had so many offensive line prospects. I walked out of my office and yelled for Joe Bugel.

"I said, 'For cripes sake, Joe, why do we need another offensive lineman? You've got 18 of them already. We can't coach that many. If we've sign him, can we get out of it?"

It's a good thing the Redskins did not give up on Jacoby, for he developed into one of the top offensive linemen in team history.

-----------------------------

With the amount of heat the offensive line has taken here on ES, I wanted to pay tribute to them by posting this article. Let's hope we do not give up on our young o-linemen: Heyer, Rinehart, Clark, and Williams. They and the vets went through a learning curve last year and I believe they will perform a lot better this year. HTTR!

Thanks for sharing this.

Here are some quotes I found interesting:

Joe Gibbs:

“Jake was one of the best things that ever happened to us. Shows you what I know about a prospect.”

Jacoby:

According to Jacoby, Beathard just had an uncanny knack for finding those “diamond in the rough” players who dotted the Redskins’ roster during the Gibbs era.

“Certain scouts and people who go out looking at talent just have a certain knack,” Jacoby said. “It doesn’t mean [beathard] was always right. But he was more right than wrong in finding talent. He would go to obscure places and look for players and find them.”

So, where do we get the next Beathard?

So, where do we get the next Beathard?

Beathard was from a different era. He worked in an era without unrestricted free agency. What benefited Beathard was superior scouting and being able to find the Jacobys of the world. When Beathard moved to San Diego, he showed he didn't have much left.

We need to find someone who can shine in today's NFL.....

Both good points. It's a different era for sure but teams like New England and Pittsburgh are showing you can be consistently good with the right formula for keeping the right players and surrounding them with the role players.

We should be trying to get the next Pioli or Colbert.

Both good points. It's a different era for sure but teams like New England and Pittsburgh are showing you can be consistently good with the right formula for keeping the right players and surrounding them with the role players.

We should be trying to get the next Pioli or Colbert.

During the season I get a daily dose of the Pats' brilliance shoved down my throat by the local media. They consistently find guys who are cast-offs or never-have-beens and make them big. It's a strategy that usually provides a contender here in NE.

I might be wrong about this, but it looks like our FO may have actually taken notice of the Pats strategy. We seem to be acquiring "projects" here and there (like BMW) - moreso than in the early Snyder years. It seems to be a good way to turn up the odd diamond in the rough without a big investment.

That he is not in the Hall is beyond me. He defined what it means to be an O lineman in football today.

yup...

"Jacoby, meanwhile, used his mammoth size to establish himself as arguably the best run blocker of the 1980s, as he battled such defensive stars as Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor, Cowboys linemen Randy White, Harvey Martin and Jim Jeffcoat and Eagles linemen Clyde Simmons and Reggie White."

quite a few of those guys made it to the HOF... he needs to be in at some point

To have a known nickname of "The Hogs" and to have no one from that group in the HOF is dispicable. Now JJ was undrafted and all but he held is own for years against the best of the best and is never though of as a HOF candidate is a debacle. Sure we get Grimm every year in the HOF process but not to have Jake is a show of shows...to have only Riggo and a damn young Darrel Green and Monk(solid) to be the only Skins from the Gibbs championship era to be in the HOF is just silly. Make it so writers....Christ on Ice!!!

Archived