Extremeskins

Rod Gardner

brandies

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11737

2003 Player Profile: Rod Gardner, WR

06/16/2003

By Jason Gould

Editor, Redskins.com

Redskins wide receiver Rod Gardner is entering his third NFL season in 2003. As the Redskins approach training camp, Redskins.com will profile players on Washington's roster. Today's snapshot focuses on Gardner, who eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving last season.

Redskins training camp is set to begin on July 28 at Redskin Park in Ashburn, Virginia. Admission and parking to training camp are free. Click here for driving directions and other pertinent information.

Rod Gardner

Number: 87

Height: 6-2

Weight: 213

Experience: 3rd season

College: Clemson

Career Highlight: With 59 receiving yards in the team's season finale against the Cowboys in 2002, Gardner surpassed the 1,000-yard receiving mark for the first time in his career. He finished the season with 71 receptions for 1,006 yards and eight touchdowns. In his rookie season in 2001, Gardner caught 46 balls for 741 yards and four touchdowns.

Did You Know?: Gardner and fellow wideout Laveranues Coles attended rival high schools in Jacksonville, Florida. In addition, the two played against each other in the ACC in college. Gardner attended Clemson when Coles played for Florida State.

Expectations: In his third NFL season, Gardner hopes to continue his rapid improvement. Head coach Steve Spurrier has indicated Gardner and Coles will be enter training camp as the team's starters at wide receiver.

Quote: "There were a lot of expectations on me last year and that actually helped me out. I've always loved pressure. It helps you set a goal for yourself so that you can rise above the expectations."

-Rod Gardner

Archived