Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Will health care reform pass this year?

Toe Jam

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd say really unlikely. Although I could see a scenario where something will get passed right before the midterm elections, so that everybody in Congress can go home and campaign on the glowing promises about how great it's going to be (unhampered by any of that pesky reality).

It will pass this year...

The question is will it really be reform? or will will the Dem's take the opprotunities to screw the public like the GOP did when Bush passed his healthcare package two years ago or so..

It's a beast that's so large I don't know if it can (or should) be passed this year. While it's certainly a pressing issue for this entire country, I don't want the gov't trying to ram through quickly such an important program. I'd much rather they work to draft something that works for the most people with the best safeguards in place.

Truths:

1. Something needs to be done. What?

2. There will be lots of resistance no matter what the President comes up with.

3. It could pass. It might not. It could go the same way as HillaryCare. Too early to tell, IMO.

4. 100% Government run health care would be a disaster.

If they are going to do it right, it can't be passed this year. I think finding a way to blow up the system and build an entirely new architecture takes a lot more thought and time than that.

This isn't like the stimulus argument where people were saying the economy would fall off a cliff any second. Healthcare has been a long term slow problem. It's drip torture. We have time to endure a little more pain and try to get it right.

The biggest argument for speed is the worst one: that it must be done now while Obama has sufficient political capital. Sure, we can fine tune after the fact, but it is important to actually read this bill and construct something that is worthy of us and has a chance of blossoming.

I don't know.

18,000 people a year are dying without health care.

I'm going to go Republican on you. In a country of 300,000,000, eighteen thousand is drip torture :evilg:

The actual questions you would have to answer is of those eighteen thousand, how many would have survived or been cured if they had insurance? How many would have sought timely care? How many didn't or were unable to follow the correct health regimine that they were advised to take from a doctor or clinic? And how many lost their insurance because of their difficulties (unable to work, unable to pay insurance, cold heartless ****s pull the plug?

And a few other questions before we understand what that 18,000 mean. That said, I want universal healthcare and I want it soon, but I also want it done right because a broken system will also cause harm.

I think we really need to look at the French health care system and try to build something based off of that.

Sicko is a pretty good documentary (I know, Michael Moore, lib pinko commie, I get it) and it has some good information. He focuses on the Americans who HAVE health care but can't afford lifesaving operations or treatments because they get denied coverage.

Sicko is a pretty good documentary (I know, Michael Moore, lib pinko commie, I get it) and it has some good information. He focuses on the Americans who HAVE health care but can't afford lifesaving operations or treatments because they get denied coverage.

That is something that is gonna be a huge issue with govt healthcare..Just where do we draw the line in cost vs reward?

Are tissue banks and organ donations gonna be ruled a mandatory benefit to society as well?

If taking your money is OK,then using organs you no longer need should be as well :D(we already harvest corneas)

I had a customer today that feels since others had excess money to spend on luxuries they had a obligation to pay for healthcare for the less fortunate....He did not appreciate me applying that theory to his bill.:evilg:

And a few other questions before we understand what that 18,000 mean. That said, I want universal healthcare and I want it soon, but I also want it done right because a broken system will also cause harm.

This is where I agree with you. But how can we have universal health care without it being Government run or sponsored? I don't see it.

I hope reform can be accomplished minus the government run version.

Reform without government is possible and probably most prudent.

The initial plan is said to cost $1 Trillion over ten years and only net 16 million newly insured Americans by 2016.

Doesn't sound good to me.

Archived