Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: U.S. says North Korea nuclear test measured "a few" kilotons

Toe Jam

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/15/u-s-says-north-korea-nuclear-test-measured-a-few-kilotons/

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The U.S. intelligence community believes that North Korea tested a nuclear device last month with an explosive yield of several kilotons, considerably more powerful than its first test nearly three years ago.

In a brief statement, the office of Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair said, “The U.S. Intelligence Community assesses that North Korea probably conducted an underground nuclear explosion in the vicinity of P’unggye on May 25, 2009. The explosion yield was approximately a few kilotons. Analysis of the event continues.”

May’s nuclear test was the second conducted by the North Koreans. The first in October 2006 and had a yield of approximately 1/2 kiloton. At the time, U.S. officials and independent experts considered the test somewhat of a failure.

U.S. and international nuclear experts had estimated the latest test was in the 3- to 4-kiloton range. Former nuclear weapons inspector David Albright, the Director of the Institute for Science and International Security, said the test shows the North Koreans are “pushing their program along,” that they have “made progress.”

By comparison, the first atomic bombs developed by the United States produced an explosion equivalent to about 19 kilotons, or 19,000 tons of TNT, according to the U.S. Air Force. The U.S. atomic bombs dropped on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 each generated explosions of more than 15 kilotons of TNT.

We should send them a stern letter and take away the Wii for a week.

How about sending them a few metric tons of food and attaching a note from Obama asking them to play nice.

Extra diplomatic points if said letterhead is pink and Sanrio.

Kilmer and OS, what do you think we should do for real?

We've screwed the pooch already. This situation was allowed to get out of hand by every administration since G.H.W. Bush. The little tyrant holds a trump now with his nukes. We have few options:

1. Start a war (not going to happen)

2. Food for appeasement (tried it, hasn't worked)

3. Talk to him and try to reason with him (tried it, hasn't worked)

4. Sanction him and tell him the UN has put him in time out (Has said that will start #1 scenario).

5. Do nothing and hope #1 doesn't occur.

We should send them a stern letter and take away the Wii for a week.

I agreee with the stern letter idea.

But do it like this.

Send a letter addressed to Pyong and tell him President Ahmawanajihad was talkin about his momma, and let it set off a nuke war between those 2 countries, to kill 2 birds with one stone, and the blood is off our hands.

We've screwed the pooch already. This situation was allowed to get out of hand by every administration since G.H.W. Bush. The little tyrant holds a trump now with his nukes. We have few options:

1. Start a war (not going to happen)

2. Food for appeasement (tried it, hasn't worked)

3. Talk to him and try to reason with him (tried it, hasn't worked)

4. Sanction him and tell him the UN has put him in time out (Has said that will start #1 scenario).

5. Do nothing and hope #1 doesn't occur.

How about

6. Sit back and wait to see if he sends out any ships.

7. Stop them and search them.

8. See who blinks

Kim has backed himself into a corner this time. He's leveled direct threats, not insinuations or half threats. It's one thing to say "Consequences will be dire" and another to say "we no longer recognize the peace treaty and we WILL strike".

Let's see if he really wants to trade nukes. He has absolutely no hope of winning. He may be crazy, but is he suicidal?

~Bang

How about

6. Sit back and wait to see if he sends out any ships.

7. Stop them and search them.

8. See who blinks

Kim has backed himself into a corner this time. He's leveled direct threats, not insinuations or half threats. It's one thing to say "Consequences will be dire" and another to say "we no longer recognize the peace treaty and we WILL strike".

Let's see if he really wants to trade nukes. He has absolutely no hope of winning. He may be crazy, but is he suicidal?

~Bang

Uh, do you really want to tell a loonie with nuclear weapons "I dare you."?

(Even if they do appear to be almost duds. Face it. A dud fired into Japan wouldn't be any picnic.)

Uh, do you really want to tell a loonie with nuclear weapons "I dare you."?

(Even if they do appear to be almost duds. Face it. A dud fired into Japan wouldn't be any picnic.)

Sure.

Like I said, what's he going to do?

Back down is my bet. And if he shoots one off in anger, well then that would solve the NK problem once and for all, no?

~Boom.

Did they say how big the actual bomb is?

Is it small enough to launch on one of their inaccurate missiles?

Observing that a "dud" nuke on an "inaccurate" missile, launched at Japan, still wouldn't be a picnic.

Sure.

Like I said, what's he going to do?

Back down is my bet. And if he shoots one off in anger, well then that would solve the NK problem once and for all, no?

~Boom.

Umm, ok.

First I want you and your family to move to, say, Seoul or Kyoto. Then see it if seems so simple to play nuclear chicken with a madman.

Umm, ok.

First I want you and your family to move to, say, Seoul or Kyoto. Then see it if seems so simple to play nuclear chicken with a madman.

That's the point. We're not there. Instead of playing San Francisco California politics... I say he does back down.

Umm, ok.

And while you're at it, could you arrange me a ride on the time machine that says that if NK does pop off a nuke or two, that we'll be able to vaporize then without, say, China objecting to all of those radioactive clouds on their border?

And while you're at it, could you arrange me a ride on the time machine that says that if NK does pop off a nuke or two, that we'll be able to vaporize then without, say, China objecting to all of those radioactive clouds on their border?

Actually most of fallout would be carried by the weather pattern to the sea of Japan, which would do wonders for the fishery in the area.

Umm, ok.

Playing ***** with a bully never works. Ever.

We can sit back and say "boo hoo what are we going to do" or we can hold our ground and insure he does not ship nuclear arms..

the alternative seems to be to let Kim ship the only product he's been able to manufacture around the world. Doesn't seem like that is much of an option, and only means we're facing nukes from more directions.

So far it seems to me we're doing the right thing. Let him talk, talk doesn't hurt, and has required no response. But if he sends out a ship with a nuke on board bound for Venezuela, are we going to sit back and start to worry about what Chavez will do with it? Will we allow him to export weapons that will almost certainly be used against us?

We've negotiated with Il. we've given him concessions. he upped the stakes on his own. People can say all they want about Bush reneging on deals and not taking him off lists causing him to behave this way, but the fact is he's a brutal totalitarian, and negotiating with them never works no matter what you do. If Bush had taken him off the list, if Bush had done this or that or the other thing it wouldn't matter, the little dick-tator would find some other reason to make his threats and push his way around.

In his eyes, and in the carefully cultivated eyes of his subjects, negotiation is weakness. Force is the only thing he respects, and it's the only thing he thinks anyone will respect about him.

Since his reign is predicated on keeping his subjects in complete awe of his magnificence, he will only continue to be agressive, even if we sent him enough food to feed everyone in his country for ten years. In fact, that would piss him off, because gifts of aid are weakness. Aid proves his divine rule is unjust and not working, and can sow doubt in the minds of the people he keeps in the dark.

We can ninny and fret about it all day. Some truths are historically inescapable, and attempting to deal with one such as Il has never ever led to peace.

"Demand more than they can possibly give you, and when they give it, demand more." - Adolf Hitler, a hero of little Kim. We all know how fear-based appeasement of his threats worked out.

~Bang

Archived