Extremeskins

WEx: Snyder's Redskins: 10 years later/Top ten Snyder moments

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Snyders-Redskins-10-years-later.html

Snyder's Redskins: 10 years later

By: Rick Snider

Examiner Sports Columnist

06/13/09 11:07 PM EDT

Dan Snyder celebrated his 10th anniversary of gaining control of the Washington Redskins recently. My how money flies even when not having fun.

Let's take stock of what the Decade of Dan has brought the Redskins since Snyder was approved by NFL owners on June 10, 1999. For more than $1 billion in payroll, the Redskins have managed:

» Six coaches. Bet you can't name them all. Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, Joe Gibbs and Jim Zorn are easy. Did you remember Terry Robiskie finishing 1-2 in 2000? It would have been Pepper Rodgers had the staff not balked.

» Three general managers/vice presidents. Charley Casserly lasted a week. Joe Mendes gutted out two years. Vinny Cerrato was fired and rehired.

» More than 300 employees departed, including seven public relations directors. Most were fired, laid off or ran out screaming down to the secretaries, guards and groundskeepers.

» Three playoff appearances. Two by Gibbs, both requiring miracle finishes.

» Two postseason wins. Both first-rounders.

» One NFC East title. It was Snyder's first season so he simply inherited the crown after not officially becoming owner until the week before training camp. The bottom line -- Snyder couldn't mess it up.

» Deion Sanders, Jeff George, Bruce Smith, Albert Haynesworth, Shawn Springs, Adam Archuleta, Jason Taylor, Brandon Lloyd -- Snyder shopped at Versace, as Deion said. Too bad most of them were bigger busts than Dolly Parton.

Click the link to read the full article...

Companion Piece

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Top-10-Dan-Snyder-moments.html

Top 10 Dan Snyder moments

By: Craig Stouffer

Examiner Staff Writer

06/13/09 11:00 PM EDT

1. Ushering in the era of big spending

July 1999 » In the most expensive transaction in sports history at the time, Snyder completes the purchase of the Redskins and what was then known as Jack Kent Cooke Stadium for $800 million in July 1999, following the death of the previous owner, Jack Kent Cooke. Snyder, then just 34 years old, becomes the youngest owner in the NFL.

2. Big purchase brings big sponsor

Summer 1999 » Snyder removes the name of the team's beloved late owner from the stadium in favor of a revolutionary 27-year, $207 million corporate sponsorship. Over the next decade, Snyder improves nearly every aspect of the stadium, aside from its location, most notably expanding the capacity to a league-high 91,665. However, obstructed view seats and outrageous parking costs still get most of the attention.

3. Norv stays, Charley goes

Summer 1999 » Undaunted by a lack of experience in professional sports, Snyder immediately fires general manager Charley Casserly, choosing to side at the time with head coach Norv Turner, who lasted one full season but was also fired in 2000 with three games remaining despite a 7-6 record.

4. One and done for Marty

2001 » Snyder names Marty Schottenheimer head coach and general manager, and the Redskins win five straight games after opening the year with five losses. They finish the season 8-8, and Snyder tries to get Schottenheimer to abdicate his personnel role. Schottenheimer declines, and Snyder fires him. Steve Spurrier is hired, contributes two more losing seasons, and resigns at the end of 2003.

5. Showing them the money

1999-2009 » Snyder takes interest in the most expensive NFL free agents available, including Bruce Smith (36-year-old, 15-year veteran pass rusher handed five-year deal worth $25 million in 1999), Deion Sanders (32-year-old, 11-year veteran cornerback given seven-years, $56 million in 2000), and Albert Haynesworth (27-year-old, 8th-year defensive tackle signed a seven-year, $100 million deal in February). Don't forget Adam Archuleta, either.

Click the link for the other five...

I think it's a little unfair to point out the Bruce Smiths and Adam Archuletas while ignoring the guys we signed or traded for who worked out. Half the team is trades or signings, so while we had some big busts, we also did have some success like Portis, Moss, Carter, Griff. I don't like the strategy of focusing more on FAs and trades than the draft, but it's disingenuous to leave out the successes we've had at it.

I think it's a little unfair to point out the Bruce Smiths and Adam Archuletas while ignoring the guys we signed or traded for who worked out. Half the team is trades or signings, so while we had some big busts, we also did have some success like Portis, Moss, Carter, Griff. I don't like the strategy of focusing more on FAs and trades than the draft, but it's disingenuous to leave out the successes we've had at it.

He's batting about .137

His hits are mostly singles, maybe a triple in Portis (more like a double with an error since traded away Champ and a 2nd). No home-runs.

I just wanted to wish Mr.Snyder a happy 10 year anniversary. Thanks for helping the city of Washington DC and the Redskins continue the almost 20 year drought of winning a superbowl. Thank you for the most last place finishes in the NFC east. Thank you for making one and done in the playoffs our goal. Thank you for hiring Vinny Cerrato and Steve Spurrier. Thank you for signing Deion Sanders and Bruce smith. Combined they helped me go 19-0 in Madden 2000. Thanks for making the franchise I love one of the biggest jokes in all of the NFL. Thanks for making our stadium a dump with corporate fans who never show up to games. Thank you for ruining the Redskins.

Remember, the sum of the parts is always more important than the parts of the sum. You can spout how great of an offensive threat Clinton Portis and Santana Moss are, but what kind of offense has that gotten us? You can say, "Oh look at these great players we got", but what's our overall record?

3. Norv stays, Charley goes

Summer 1999 » Undaunted by a lack of experience in professional sports, Snyder immediately fires general manager Charley Casserly, choosing to side at the time with head coach Norv Turner, who lasted one full season but was also fired in 2000 with three games remaining despite a 7-6 record.

I think this is the one that stings the most because the Skins might have turned a corner if Casserly would've been kept. Snyder could have defined himself as an owner along the lines of a Jeffrey Lurie or Robert Kraft, instead he chose Jerry Jones. This is the one move that set everything else in motion.

Not unfair at all. Most of those good decisions were made by Joe Gibbs. Not Danny and Vinny.

I think these this one stings the most because the Skins might have turned a corner if Casserly would've been kept. Snyder could have defined himself as an owner along the lines of a Jeffrey Lurie or Robert Kraft, instead he chose Jerry Jones. This is the one move that set everything else in motion.

I'm waiting for the 3 Super Bowl titles like Jerry.

I think these this one stings the most because the Skins might have turned a corner if Casserly would've been kept. Snyder could have defined himself as an owner along the lines of a Jeffrey Lurie or Robert Kraft, instead he chose Jerry Jones. This is the one move that set everything else in motion.

Nah, Casserly was a horrible GM also, for the Redskins and the Texans. The mistake was not replacing Casserly with a more capable GM and instead choosing to bring in Vinny Cerrato.

Home run is Moss. Home run in Portis. We've got two very good offensive players here.

I think you also have to look at how we acquired players. We gave up too much for Portis. That draft pick (and many other squandered ones) could have helped the Redskins become a better team.

I've been saying the same stuff about Snyder FOR YEARS on this board and have constantly been shrugged off for supposedly having an "anti-Snyder bias." The fact is the reason I hate the guy so much is because he has made ZERO EFFORT to change his ways and help this team win. He can SAY he has changed all he wants...and many of you will continue to defend him because of his high-spending ways...but he knows NOTHING about building a football team and neither does his flunky Vinny Cerrato.

The reasons for the hatred are rational. I'll lay off on him the day he finally hires a GM who knows what he's doing and LETS HIM DO HIS JOB. This team will continue to go 8-8 just about every year until this happens.

Archived