Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about the 4 RB's Situation

I was just sitting here thinking about the RB situation and started thinking about a few things. Canidate was brought in here to add speed to a backfield where at the last few games of last year I thought we were looking pretty good. Canidate has been labeled an underachiever in his 4 years with the Rams. Since the Rams and the Skins offense are pretty much similar, how much can we really expect from him. One of the reasons I read that he was in Martz's doghouse was because of missed assignments and fumbles as well as being a sub par blocker.

Next I started thinking about Morton, during his tenure in NO, he never really amounted to much being the RB they needed down there, and at 187 lbs what can we really expect other than a draw and a few flair's or screens. My biggest question is ???? Do we risk giving him 10 carries a game as well as the punt returns and kickoff return duties. Visions of Sehorn come to mind. Now if Morton gets these carries, then I think we are playing with fire. Because if he gets hurt, we are back to Champ returning Punts and we all know how that was last year, hold your breath and hope he catches it. On top of that who will return the Kickoffs, will that go back to Betts and Watson, the two backs that showed promise last year.

I'm all for keeping all 4 backs especially if we are going to let Morton get in the mix running the ball, any thoughts, any body feeling what im feeling here.

I think the starter at the end of the season should be the starter this season. Watson has proven to be a good mix of power and moves, he'll produce whenever he is on the field and I don't feel Canidate can do the same. Betts is a good player, but I like Watson in this offense a bit better.

The hope with Canidate is that he works harder and keeps his head screwed on straight now that he has a legitimate chance to be a starter. He has the most potential of the group.

If he flops again we have good options available though. I like Betts a little more than Watson, but then again the combination of Betts and Watson was pretty good to end the year.

Morton will be used strictly as a return guy and third down back. If he gets anywhere near 10 carries in a game, it would mean disaster, because all other backs are injured.

He, Morton, actually had one good year in NO catching something in the neighborhood of 30+ balls out of the backfield as a third down back (if memory serves me correctly). He also played WR some in college for the same coach he's reunited with in DC. Don't be surpised to see him split wide from time-to-time. Another reason we may see 4 RBs kept, and only 5WRs. Bad news for P. Johnson in my book.

Guest Trevor
Originally posted by Long n Left

Morton will be used strictly as a return guy and third down back. If he gets anywhere near 10 carries in a game, it would mean disaster, because all other backs are injured.

He, Morton, actually had one good year in NO catching something in the neighborhood of 30+ balls out of the backfield as a third down back (if memory serves me correctly). He also played WR some in college for the same coach he's reunited with in DC. Don't be surpised to see him split wide from time-to-time. Another reason we may see 4 RBs kept, and only 5WRs. Bad news for P. Johnson in my book.

I actually think that's bad news for D-Mac rather than Patrick Johnson. I think Johnson is going to make the roster and McCants and the 4th running back will fight for the last spot. Most likely Russell will make the team either on the active roster or on IR after he gets hurt(which considering his history is a likely thing.) If he does get hurt that should keep D-Mac around.

I think we should keep all four running backs unless someone is willing to give up more than I think they would for Watson.

All the backs are different. Canidate has excellent straight line speed. Betts is more a power guy with decent speed and hands. Morton is a fast guy who can make you miss. Watson appears to be a good all around back who doesn't excel in one thing. I also like Sultan too but I just can't see how he makes the roster.

I can see us carrying all four.

As to Canidate's underacheiving, i think that's a bit of a bad rap. First, he was behind arguably the best back in football (when healthy) That's a hard place to be.

Second, i think the Rams really didn't need him when they drafted him, and had he gone elsewhere where he could have played steadily, we may be singing a different tune about him, and likely he wouldn't be a Redskin, but starting for whoever drafted him.

I think Mike Martz is a bit impulsive. I really can't figure out how he thinks sometimes. He gets way too ****y and he tends to make sloppy decisions. One of which would be last year, when he heaped the blame of his five game losing streak on top of Canidate's head, and stuffed him in the doghouse. The guy had 18 or so carries over the 5 game streak, and fumbled once. Apparently this was all Martz needed to make a scapegoat out of him, and I think he did. The fact that he allowed him to be traded for that slab of fat David Loverne just cements my position. He thinks Trung was a dog, wait til he sees Warner running for his life cause Loverne left the door open. Again.

As to Canidate's position with the Rams, what did martz expect? He drafted him #1 to play behind the best back in the NFL, in the prime of his career. What, he was supposed to compete for the starting job>?

I look at the only sustained playing time of Canidate's young career, and i see absolutely STELLAR numbers. 3 games in 2001 he started, Rams were 3-0.. he combined for over 800 yards of offense. The knock, he fumbled 3 times, losing two. Is that a worthwhile tradeoff? Or is it possible that he will get better at ball handling if he handles the ball more regularly?

I think the latter may be the case. I damn sure hope so, anyway. i think Canidate has a lot of potential to shine, and I think that if he protects the ball, we are going to forget Stephen Davis in a hurry.

~Bang

First, I echo Bang's thoughts about the significance of being in Martz' doghouse. If Trung doesn't work out it was still worth a 4th round pick to see. If he does live up to his potential, it will be one of the best trades this franchise has ever made. I think it's way to early to label him a fumbler. Even if he is, we'll have to see how bad his fumbling really is. Eric Dickerson took the label (deservedly or not) all the way to the Hall of Fame.

Even my man Larry Brown wrote in his book how he thought his early career fumbling might cost him his job. He fixed the problem. So it can be done.

Originally posted by Ax

First, I echo Bang's thoughts about the significance of being in Martz' doghouse. If Trung doesn't work out it was still worth a 4th round pick to see.

But it won't be worth an extra 6 fumbles per season.

Archived