Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boy Hit by Meteorite

BigMike619

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090612/sc_space/boyhitbymeteorite

A 14-year old German boy was hit in the hand by a pea-sized meteorite that scared the bejeezus out of him and left a scar.

"When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself into the road," Gerrit Blank said in a newspaper account. Astronomers have analyzed the object and conclude it was indeed a natural object from space, The Telegraph reports.

Most meteors vaporize in the atmosphere, creating "shooting stars," and never reach the ground. The few that do are typically made mostly of metals. Stony space rocks, even if they are big as a car, will usually break apart or explode as they crash through the atmosphere.

There are a handful of reports of homes and cars being struck by meteorites, and many cases of space rocks streaking to the surface and being found later.

he didn't catch it. it bounced off his hand. sounds more like Carlos...

oh no i di-int!

then he's better than Carlos - he defended it, without even watching it coming at him.....make him a DB instead of a WR......or put him on Special Teams, to block kicks, since we havnt had one of those since the invention of the typewriter.

Lucky dude.

That's going to be worth a fortune to a collector.

There are lots of meteorites, but very, very few cases of them striking a person.

I thought the exact opposite. How unlucky do you have to be to be wandering around and pow get hit by a meteorite. I mean I was once hit by lightning (or at least it's discharge) and I thought wild, but what are the odds of getting struck by a meteorite?

I do agree that finding a meteorite is pretty damn cool and lucky though.

Also, he better get super powers out of this.

I thought the exact opposite. How unlucky do you have to be to be wandering around and pow get hit by a meteorite. I mean I was once hit by lightning (or at least it's discharge) and I thought wild, but what are the odds of getting struck by a meteorite?

I do agree that finding a meteorite is pretty damn cool and lucky though.

Also, he better get super powers out of this.

So is it unlucky to keep this rock, the same way it's unlucky to bring back a lava rock from Hawaii ?

I think it depends on the super powers. I mean if he can fly and shoot laser beams, then the meteorite wasn't bad luck. If he's only able to change the color of his urine... well, that's not so hot, is it?

tell me bright lime green pee wouldnt be awesome!!

OK, now I'm remembering the scene in Men In Black, where our two agents are stepping over the crater to interview the witness, and what I think is the second best line in the movies:

"Y'all gonna laugh at me, like them other cops?"

"No, ma'am. We in the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we're aware of."

Archived