Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

California!

Toe Jam

My next great adventure is going to take place at the end of the month. I'm going to go visit my dad in California.

Now I know there is way too much for me to see in one week. So I need suggestions about what to do. I'll be staying very close to L.A.

Ideas? woooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Let me know what you're into (music, outdoor sports, etc) and I can recommend some place to look into. There are literally thousands of things to do in the greater LA area.

Music is the main thing for me. Clubs that won't get me killed would be nice too.

Landmarks?

Music is the main thing for me. Clubs that won't get me killed would be nice too.

Landmarks?

Are you talking 'live music' as in concerts or just 'clubbing?' There are some phenomenal concert venues in LA (hollywood bowl, the Greek Theatre) as well as great night clubs. Not to mention the women are off the charts hot.

It's not as dangerous in most of LA (though there are definitely some cities you want to avoid altogether at night).

One of THE best cities for small, locally grown music is Silverlake. It's is loaded with inexpensive hole in the wall clubs that offer up great music. Beck, Rilo Kiley and Silversun Pickups all cut their teeth in this town. During the week you can get into the places for $5 or just a drink minimum. Highly recommended if you love live music. The city is just NE of downtown. Google it and you'll find some great info. Pickup the LA Weekly rag, which is free and a great guide to not just music but every diversion.

sunset strip...hahaha

Haha, I was just going to recommend this as well.

TJ, it's a complete freakshow on the strip on weekend nights, you must see this, it's hysterical. :D

Venice beach is also a complete freakfest. I took my fiance there a couple months ago when he visited just for ****s and giggles, that was also quite entertaining, lol. I've never seen such a clustering of marijuana "medical clinics" since the last time I visited Amsterdam and it's plethora of coffee shops, haha.

As far as landmarks go, the Griffith Observatory is cool on a clear day (which admittedly are rare in LA). You're right near the Hollywood sign and have a great view of downtown and the South Bay. They just completed a major renovation of it and there's also great hiking in adjacent Griffith park.

What kind of food are you looking for and what are you looking to spend? I hate the club scene in L.A. but I'm also old and over it. Be sure to check out Hollywood Bowl's schedule to see if there's something you like.

I'm on a somewhat modest budget. But I can live a little.:D

Don't expect to see "sunny socal" this time of the year. Thick marine layer we call June gloom will still be in effect unless you go pretty deep inland.

Dude, it's gloomy as hell here in the inland too...

its where bands like motley crue and poison got their start.

its always a good time down there..

Yep, I think that's why it's so funny down there, it's just totally crazy. I took my fiance to a "Steel Panther" concert at the Key Club a couple months ago and it was totally frickin hysterical!

Expensive stuff:

Best sushi: Sushi-Gen (Little Tokyo)

Best hamburger: Father's Office

My favorite Italian: Vittorio (Pacific Palisades)

Good Cheap Eats:

Mexican: King Taco

Burgers: In N Out

Chicken: Zankou Chicken

Chinese: (San Gabriel Valley)

Archived