Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Sources: Meth triggered positive test For Jeremy Mayfield

SC_RedskinsFan

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4245969 Click Link For Full Story

NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield tested positive for methamphetamine during a random drug screening May 1 at Richmond International Raceway, ESPN The Magazine has learned from two independent sources.

In court documents filed in the past two weeks (Mayfield sought a temporary restraining in order to return to the track; NASCAR countersued), it was revealed that Mayfield had admitted ingesting a double dosage of Claritin-D, an allergy medication, and the prescription drug Adderall XR immediately prior to the Richmond drug test conducted for NASCAR.

Mayfield claims the Adderall XR had been prescribed by a physician to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

However, a third drug came up positive during the urine-based Richmond test and had not been previously identified. The name of the drug in question has been redacted from court documents and was not specified by either Mayfield or NASCAR because of the conditions of a May 29 gag order issued in Mecklenburg County Superior Court in North Carolina.

Mayfield had filed for a temporary restraining order, asking to be allowed to compete while his case with NASCAR was ongoing. Judge Forrest Bridges denied the request. During the hearing, NASCAR attorney Paul Hendrick described the unidentified drug as a "dangerous, illegal banned substance."

so it was meth and not his ADHD meds?
From what I can tell, it was a combination of different methamphetamines (ADHD drug and Claritin D)...and then one undisclosed, really illegal substance. So it looks like there were several substances involved here, not just the ADHD and allergy meds.

Regardless, aren't ADHD meds and certain allergy pills restricted in the first place? If so, he should not have been taking them, even with a doctor's prescription...he should have been taking some sort of alternative if those are banned substances. So it's like double dumbass whammy on his part.

Considering that meth was invented to help military pilots stay awake on long flights you might be right.

I thought it was invented for bikers to make long rides on. lol. j/k

Regardless though, I couldn't stay focused for 500 laps of restricter racing without it.

Aren't most ADHD meds, just forms of coke anyway, just all governmented up?

My friends growing up, sure thought they were.

Your "friends" haha! j/k

But yes. ADHD meds are comprised of some pretty potent stimulants and are supposed to be strictly controlled and properly dispensed....key word being "supposed." I can't even count how many people I knew in my undergrad classes who would abuse these drugs during midterms and finals. They said they could concentrate forever and pull multiple all nighters. :whoknows:

From what I can tell, it was a combination of different methamphetamines (ADHD drug and Claritin D)...and then one undisclosed, really illegal substance. So it looks like there were several substances involved here, not just the ADHD and allergy meds.

Regardless, aren't ADHD meds and certain allergy pills restricted in the first place? If so, he should not have been taking them, even with a doctor's prescription...he should have been taking some sort of alternative if those are banned substances. So it's like double dumbass whammy on his part.

yeah, very true. just sucks and i guess part of me just doesnt want to believe he was this stupid. like SC said, he is a driver and owner so its twice as stupid as normal.

Your "friends" haha! j/k

But yes. ADHD meds are comprised of some pretty potent stimulants and are supposed to be strictly controlled and properly dispensed....key word being "supposed." I can't even count how many people I knew in my undergrad classes who would abuse these drugs during midterms and finals. They said they could concentrate forever and pull multiple all nighters. :whoknows:

no-doz is a key ingredient in meth and when i was in the navy we would eat those things like candy. they would make you go so fast that you couldnt concentrate anyways. fun though...lol

Your "friends" haha! j/k

It was actually. I didn't like the hard stuff until I grew up a little. :D

(I still wont mess with pills)

On a side note, when I had Lymes and hadn't slept for a week, my friend (we'll call him Dad) gave me some Ambients. I heard you should take them while in bed, because they'll knock you out.

Well, I take one and nothing happened. The next night, I take 2 with a glass of bourbon (I know, shut it DR. Keeastman) and my friend calls me and tells me to come over. So, I couldn't sleep and felt fine and went (dirt roads late night, again, I know, but it's a little different) over.

I think I am all good, just a tad drunk and a little smokey. My friend pulls me aside and asked if I was doing heroin because of how ****ered up I was. lol. Won't do that again.:hysterical:

Katie, these drugs (Claritan and ADHD) are allowed, but must be reported to the governing body of Nascar. He did list the drugs and Nascar had no problems with it - in fact, he was allowed to race and practice with this knowledge. Even more interesting - Mayfield was allowed to run in several practice sessions and was still cleared to race after the first positive test.

I'm not taking sides in this issue, but Nascar needed to park him immediately after that first test (if true). Something is not right when you allow a racer to continue on after such a test.

When JM learned of the positive test, he was the one to request a second test and Nascar claimed that the results were the same (a week later).

Memo to those who read my insider info on who may test positive for drugs this season - it did turn out to be Mayfield. Rumors were all over the place, but this seems to be the focus of it now. For me, I don't know who to believe - some things just don't add up. Argh.

What i hate is how secret NASCAR is about all of this. It does not make them look good IMO when they dont give out all the info.

I agree 100% with you Ken. No way should he have been allowed to step into a car after a pos. drug test. That is just plain stupid on NASCAR's part.

Also that rumor was very early in the season. I do not like that it was out there and nothing seemed to be done about it. This is one thing that should NOT have a gray area.

This should do wonders to shed the dumb/ignorant hillbilly rap associated with NASCAR. :doh:

i shouldnt laugh but i am.

they really dont do themselves any good by doing dumb **** like this. might as well have been told while dippin skoal and beatin his wife

This should do wonders to shed the dumb/ignorant hillbilly rap associated with NASCAR. :doh:

One driver in the top series. But how many football players have done drugs? Basketball? Baseball? And how about steroids?

Perhaps this is why Nascar wanted to keep it so hushed. Maybe not. Either way, I love being a Nascar redneck in New Jersey. :)

It is stupid, if the results of the test are actually true. Why would Nascar allow it? It just seems very fishy now.

I think NASCAR want this all to go away quietly. That is why they did not put out there what he popped for. Almost like a cover up. :whoknows: It looks even worse for NASCAR now, IMO. This is just a theory.

I'm guessing that the dangerous, illegal substance they're referring to is the meth they're talking about. The article is poorly written, but that's what I gather, given the fact that neither Claritin-D nor Adderall XR have meth in them. Claritin-D has pseudoephedrine in it, which is a meth precursor, and Adderall XR is an extended release form of an amphetamine salt combination, namely d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine, not methamphetamine. Neither of those substances would cause a positive result for meth.

One possible defense on his part could be that he wasn't actually prescribed Adderall XR for adult ADHD, but Desoxyn, a pharmaceutical version of meth that is also prescribed for adult ADHD, and he just reported it wrong. That honestly seems like it could be the most logical explanation; it isn't very far out of the realm of possibility that someone diagnosed with adult ADHD would test positive for a drug prescribed to treat adult ADHD.

On a side note, when I had Lymes and hadn't slept for a week, my friend (we'll call him Dad) gave me some Ambients. I heard you should take them while in bed, because they'll knock you out.

Well, I take one and nothing happened. The next night, I take 2 with a glass of bourbon (I know, shut it DR. Keeastman) and my friend calls me and tells me to come over. So, I couldn't sleep and felt fine and went (dirt roads late night, again, I know, but it's a little different) over.

I think I am all good, just a tad drunk and a little smokey. My friend pulls me aside and asked if I was doing heroin because of how ****ered up I was. lol. Won't do that again.:hysterical:

Oh, you have no judgement from me here! I've had a few terrible experiences with Ambien...enough to know that for me at least, it causes way more problems than it could ever possibly solve, holy ****. All the side effects they warn about, well I think I experienced every single one of them. My roommates have a few insane stories about me, in the middle of the night, hallucinating and like carrying on conversations with people (who weren't present), running around and cleaning the house at 3am, bursting into their rooms and asking completely random questions, and probably posting on ES too, lol...I don't have memory of ANYTHING whatsoever.

After a couple of those incidents, both my roommates and my fiance nicknamed me "Katie Hendryx" and banned me from taking anymore of that crap. Probably a good thing because the few times I did take it I'd wake up the next day wondering why the hell I was so frickin tired! Well, that would be because I stayed up all night acting like a damn crazy person.

Katie, these drugs (Claritan and ADHD) are allowed, but must be reported to the governing body of Nascar. He did list the drugs and Nascar had no problems with it - in fact, he was allowed to race and practice with this knowledge. Even more interesting - Mayfield was allowed to run in several practice sessions and was still cleared to race after the first positive test.

Thanks BB. I am much more familiar with IOC rules than NASCAR rules, so your insight is appreciated.

I agree with you too that he should have been yanked from the track after his first positive test instead of letting the situation continue then blow up into a huge mess for NASCAR. It'll be interesting to get more details on this.

By the way, fun fact of the day: Vick's VapoRub is a banned substance for Olympic athletes. Now you can't say you didn't learn something new today, lol

i shouldnt laugh but i am.

they really dont do themselves any good by doing dumb **** like this. might as well have been told while dippin skoal and beatin his wife

My thoughts too- so bad its funny

One driver in the top series. But how many football players have done drugs? Basketball? Baseball? And how about steroids?

Perhaps this is why Nascar wanted to keep it so hushed. Maybe not. Either way, I love being a Nascar redneck in New Jersey. :)

Meth, why did it have to be meth? :rotflmao: and :doh1: at the same time

And you Yankees that are into the sport are viewed with suspicion by folks from Nascar country- just being honest :) - so you really don't fit anywhere :silly:

Archived