Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WRE: George Preston Marshall: entrepreneur, racist

LizKauai

http://www.examiner.com/x-450-Washington-Redskins-Examiner~y2009m6d4-George-Preston-Marshall-entrepreneur-racist?#comments

Part 2 of Mark Newgent's series on the integration of the Washington Redskins

“I realize that you men know your football inside and out. I know football from the spectator’s point of view. But that’s why I’m speaking to you. From the spectators’ it is boring. The way I look at it, we’re in show business. And when a show becomes boring to the public you throw it out and put a more interesting one in its place. That’s why I want to change the rules. I want to give the public the kind of show they want.”

Shortly after that the NFL created a rules committee and all of Marshall’s proposals were adopted. They were revolutionary changes to the game of football. The league split into two divisions with a championship game to give more teams a chance at winning while simultaneously generating greater fan interest. He proposed an annual all-star game that became the Pro Bowl, the college draft, roster limitations, moving the goal posts from the back to the front of the end zone to foster more field goal attempts, and tapering the end of the ball to invigorate the passing game, which Marshall believed delighted the fans more than the plodding running style of most NFL teams....

Click on the link above for the whole story.

Part 3 has not yet been released.

Click here for Part 1: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=289518

I remember reading that he wasn't a racist but just hated people telling him what to do so he did the exact opposite of it to piss people off. I like that.
The stipulation in his will I think proves otherwise.

GPM was a racist. As disgusting as that is, we can't change the past. He was what we all are: human. We all, in our own way, fall far short of perfection. The best we can hope for is that, perhaps, with a different upbringing and education he would have thought differently.

JKC was no angel either, pretty much a dumbass when it came to women and family - he married a drunken golddigger half his age and kinda helped screw his kid out of getting the Skins.

I knew Marshall was racist. Some old dude was telling me that Marshall would have called the Redskins the N word, but thought it would be too much.
Which I've always found odd about a lot of racist businessmen...

He wasn't stupid enough to offend what he knew would be a large portion of his customers, but was stupid enough to be a racist.

Green is green no matter who is holding it.

“I realize that you men know your football inside and out. I know football from the spectator’s point of view. But that’s why I’m speaking to you. From the spectators’ it is boring. The way I look at it, we’re in show business. And when a show becomes boring to the public you throw it out and put a more interesting one in its place. That’s why I want to change the rules. I want to give the public the kind of show they want.”

Where does this quote contain racism? To throw-out the R-word in the thread title, like that, I was thinking you would provide immediate proof?

:whoknows:

I'm sure its contained in the link somewhere... just sayin..

opinion..

I think racism is natural, to a point, as far as being able to relate to other beings around you. Infact, I'm sure racism was once used as a tool of evolution. Many primates still stick with their own kind.

However, we've now evolved past that point in time. To live longer, nowadays, humans must work together with everyone.

its a tough subject to discuss, however.. Perhaps racism is the single most touchiest subject in America, due to this country's harsh history.

Where does this quote contain racism? To throw-out the R-word in the thread title, like that, I was thinking you would provide immediate proof?

Yes, the OP probably used the wrong quote to demonstrate his title, but read up about Marshall. I'm pretty sure if they guy had TV he would have been upset at dead air because the static snow had black and white intermixing.

Great owner. Great big douche.

Read the whole article.

Better yet, start with the first article. This series is adapted from the author's college graduate school research paper.

It takes all kinds to make a world. And history was made by some amazing people ... which brings the Redskins up to today.

We are making the memories of tomorrow.

Is that Marshall...or Snyder?

And yes Marshall was pretty racist...he forced Bobby Mitchell to sing 'Dixie' at a dinner soon after his arrival in 1962. He also refused to integrate the Skins until 1962, when the NFL had done so in 1947. His excuse was he'd sign black players once the Harlem Globetrotters signed some white players.

Meanwhile, the Skins were one of the doormats of the NFL from 1946-1970.:doh:

opinion..

I think racism is natural, to a point, as far as being able to relate to other beings around you. Infact, I'm sure racism was once used as a tool of evolution. Many primates still stick with their own kind.

However, we've now evolved past that point in time. To live longer, nowadays, humans must work together with everyone.

its a tough subject to discuss, however.. Perhaps racism is the single most touchiest subject in America, due to this country's harsh history.

I think you don't understand what racism is dude. Yes, everyone feels more comfortable with things/people they can relate to or are familiar with. Everyone has their prejudices.

Racism/Hate is not natural. little kids will have a ball together until the parents get involved.

Archived