Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Security @ IAD - Who's flown from Dulles recently?

Drop

Hey has anyone flown out of Dulles recentley and encountered any of those MMW (millimeter wave) machines that basically scan an image of your naked body?

I was wondering if Dulles or any particular terminals at Dulles are using these new machines?

After seeing the pictures of what the images look like, i'm not sure how i'd feel about sending say my wife, or my mother through one of these machines. Pretty invasive if you ask me. I know you can refuse the machine and have a pat down instead, which as absurd as it seems, actually seems less of an invasion of privacy.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I flew out of Dulles two weeks ago. They didn't have those new machines at the security check I used.

Even if they did, it's my understanding the actual image will be viewed by someone removed from the line of site of the party. Also the images are dumbed down and not so reveiling.

Still I would avoid flying out of Dulles airport if I were you. Used to be one of my favorate airports, now it's like flying out of a third world country. It's the worst airport in the country based on my last experience. The entire air travel system in the US is on the verge of collapse...

Seriously. I was a 100k traveler on United for years. Air travel is taken a gigantic step backwards just in the last three years if you ask me... New scanners aside.

I flew out of Dulles two weeks ago. They didn't have those new machines at the security check I used.

Even if they did, it's my understanding the actual image will be viewed by someone removed from the line of site of the party. Also the images are dumbed down and not so reveiling.

Still I would avoid flying out of Dulles airport if I were you. Used to be one of my favorate airports, now it's like flying out of a third world country. It's the worst airport in the country based on my last experience. The entire air travel system in the US is on the verge of collapse...

Seriously. I was a 100k traveler on United for years. Air travel is taken a gigantic step backwards just in the last three years if you ask me... New scanners aside.

thanks for the insight. Yeah i can't help flying out of Dulles at this point. We have our vacation all ready to go, but i believe what you're saying about it being like a 3rd world country.

Just out of curiosity, which Airliner did you use when you flew out? I know you mentioned United, was that who you used two weeks ago? I'm flying Southwest.

• 5 weeks later...
This is serious business. What if someone was to sneak a nuke up there? (like a snuke ) TSA should be allowed to do anything they deem necessary.

Do you think the TSA would spot this?

suitcases_14.jpg

Or what would they do if they saw one of these:

artistic-colored-funny-suitcases.jpg

I agree, taking the pat down seems like the way to go. I'd have no problem requesting it if they do in fact have the MMW machines.

It's just that i've heard conflicting accounts of wether they are actually at Dulles at not. Dulles is not listed on TSA's official website here http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/mwave.shtm , but some people have said that they believe Dulles does in fact use the machines.

Anyone who's been there recentley and had to go through one of these things???

I fly in and out of Dulles every other week. I've never seen those machines at Security.

I know for sure they have it at Regan national..

I was traveling to new orleans last month and they chose me out of the people that were standing in line and told me to get in this kind of round machine and lift my arms up..

Hey has anyone flown out of Dulles recentley and encountered any of those MMW (millimeter wave) machines that basically scan an image of your naked body?

I was wondering if Dulles or any particular terminals at Dulles are using these new machines?

After seeing the pictures of what the images look like, i'm not sure how i'd feel about sending say my wife, or my mother through one of these machines. Pretty invasive if you ask me. I know you can refuse the machine and have a pat down instead, which as absurd as it seems, actually seems less of an invasion of privacy.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nope. Flew out of there two weeks ago and didn't see anything like that.

Dulles is still a run down piece of ****, though.:D

That's what I mean. Right in that area around door seven is pretty damn pathetic.

yeah, that area of the airport sucks. Next time, fly out of the B terminal. (Jet Blue's a good choice ;)) Def. not run down.

1796426007_8b70914b1c.jpg

dules-flickr-mommaroo.jpg

There's a Five Guys there, too.:D

3315615831_40ccafd002.jpg?v=0

yeah, that area of the airport sucks. Next time, fly out of the B terminal. (Jet Blue's a good choice ;)) Def. not run down.

DAMN. FIVE GUYS?

I was effing starving the day I left. All the D Terminal had was a damn Dunkin Donuts on the side I flew out of.:(

The B terminal is easily the biggest reason I find Dulles to be a crappy airport. Anytime you have to ride a shuttle from check-in to the terminal, it makes the airport experience even lamer. I've been to several of the big airports throughout the US and I swear Dulles is the only one like that. But I think I saw some signs about them building a train system like the ones found commonly in many other airports.

The B terminal is easily the biggest reason I find Dulles to be a crappy airport. Anytime you have to ride a shuttle from check-in to the terminal, it makes the airport experience even lamer. I've been to several of the big airports throughout the US and I swear Dulles is the only one like that.

Dulles is one of very few like that now but I can't say that it's a horrible way to traverse terminals. I'd rather take the dopey looking moon vehicle and at least mix it up a little than deal with the endless stretches of moving walkway you see at some airports (e.g., O'Hare).

But I think I saw some signs about them building a train system like the ones found commonly in many other airports.

They've been working on that for a while now.

The B terminal is easily the biggest reason I find Dulles to be a crappy airport. Anytime you have to ride a shuttle from check-in to the terminal, it makes the airport experience even lamer. I've been to several of the big airports throughout the US and I swear Dulles is the only one like that. But I think I saw some signs about them building a train system like the ones found commonly in many other airports.

um....you don't have to ride a shuttle. I never do. I always walk to the B terminal. Stop being lazy.

thanks for the insight. Yeah i can't help flying out of Dulles at this point. We have our vacation all ready to go, but i believe what you're saying about it being like a 3rd world country.

Just out of curiosity, which Airliner did you use when you flew out? I know you mentioned United, was that who you used two weeks ago? I'm flying Southwest.

It's too bad you're in VA, because Southwest offers many more direct options out of BWI. Been through both airports quite a few times, and I prefer BWI, unless I have some need to catch a direct flight out of the country, then it's Dulles.

i forgot about this thread. yeah i took my vacation and i've been back for a couple weeks now.

And while it's not the flashiest or best airport, i had a decent experience at dulles. No MMW machines. At least not until they get the underground thing done. They hardly have the room for security checks as it is.

Tampa's Airport was pretty cool. They definitley did have the MMW machines. They kinda look like the machine that turn Seth Brundle into The Fly, lol.

Archived