Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My family is thinking about trying geocaching (UPDATE)

SnyderShrugged

Is it okay to take hotel amenities?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to take hotel amenities?

Do any ES members do this activity?

Is it something fun that my family can do on sunday afternoons as an outdoor family activity (daughters are 7 and 9 and very into the outdoors.

any advice, testimonials and equipment suggestions for total beginners would be appreciated.

I had to go google geocaching.

Seems pretty interesting, I was looking at geocaching.com for some info. There are a bunch of caches within a mile of my house. When I get my cast off I am going to give this a try. The doc says I need to get outside and do some walking anyways, may as well make a game of it.

My wife and 2 daughters (7 and 9) are comitted to doing much more outdoor family activity in our new location. Today we did a 5 mile hike.

We heard of geocaching from a family member and it seems like a really fun and unique way to add some excitement for the kids and us.

A couple of years ago, I geocached A LOT. It is really fun. A friend and I would go together. Also, on trips to workshops in other cities, I would check out caches along the way and stop to find.

I have not gone in a while. I even found cache at a zoo.

If you really get into it, you will like it. I still get caching emails.

We did this a lot when the kids were younger, and still do a bit.

Aside from giving a hike a destination, often people will place caches on their favorite hikes, and so if you are in an unfamiliar area it's often a great way to find good places to go that aren't in the guidebnooks. We've visited caches in maybe ten countries.

We placed a cache of our own in a relatively unknown local park and it's common when people log their visit to comment that they've lived in the area for decades and not known about the place.

Equipment? Just a regular old handheld GPS.

Before you head out, it's worth reading the other log comments and looking at a map. Caches are rated by difficulty assuming you take a certain route to get there. If you do it purely by co-ordinates rather than studying an actual map, the shortest route may be up a cliff face. :)

Adding some more thoughts: some caches are placed by history buffs, and so finding the cache make take you on a tour of the historic sights of their town, getting a series of co-ordinates from objects like signposts, building numbers etc. Other caches are kid oriented and are used to exchange toys.

Oh cool! I was getting worried that no ES'ers had done it before! I hadnt thought about how it leads to other "hidden treasures" than the cache itself. That really makes me want to try it our, especially as a family.

I was looking up GPS units and saw there is quite a large range in prices. As an admited tight fist, what units would you suggest in terms of overall value? I can justify spending a little more if its worth it, but I dont need all kinds of features that I probably will never use. (just like most electronics I have bought)

Oh cool! I was getting worried that no ES'ers had done it before! I hadnt thought about how it leads to other "hidden treasures" than the cache itself. That really makes me want to try it our, especially as a family.

I was looking up GPS units and saw there is quite a large range in prices. As an admited tight fist, what units would you suggest in terms of overall value? I can justify spending a little more if its worth it, but I dont need all kinds of features that I probably will never use. (just like most electronics I have bought)

I haven't looked at handheld GPS units for nearly ten years so I've no idea what's available. Our simple Garmin unit is that old.

If you are just going to use it for geocaching I would get the cheapest one designed for hiking with a brand name.

I haven't looked at handheld GPS units for nearly ten years so I've no idea what's available. Our simple Garmin unit is that old.

If you are just going to use it for geocaching I would get the cheapest one designed for hiking with a brand name.

Do you have a Verizon phone? You might be able to download the VZnavigator, which is a phone-based GPS. Always works well enough for my driving, at least.

Do you have a Verizon phone? You might be able to download the VZnavigator, which is a phone-based GPS. Always works well enough for my driving, at least.

I have T-Mobile, but my blackberry does have a GPS app. Not sure if it will be enough to suit our needs for the game.

We also were thinking of getting an automobile GPS system for navifgating our new city easier. After looking at some of the handheld units, I'm finding that an upgraded handheld could also work as a car unit (minus the voice "turn right here" features though.

The key data you need from the GPS are the detailed longitude and latitude. Do cell phone apps have that?

Also, you'll often find the best hiking is out of range of cell signals and so you'll need the phone to actually use the GPS signal rather than from the cell towers.

The key data you need from the GPS are the detailed longitude and longitude. Do cell phone apps have that?

Also, you'll often find the best hiking is out of range of cell signals and so you'll need the phone to actually use the GPS signal rather than from the cell towers.

Good thoughts about signal strength! I know that iphone has a geocaching specific app, but not sure of the rest. I most likely will go with a middle of the road ($100-$200) unit that can double as an auto navigation unit. There are a few affordable options that I've found so far.

Sadly, I cant buy anything until I sell that durned house in louisville!

Oh, I should mention that I joined geocaching.com last night. Great resource for beginners there. Its so cool that there are so many variations and approaches to the game as a whole. near me, there is a geacashing chess match going on. I dont quite understand it yet, but groovy anyway!

After talking it over with the little one we have decided that after my leg heals we are going to start with a few of the easy ones. We have 9 caches within 1 mile of our house, 7 of them I can find without using a GPS. I'll check back and let you know how we are enjoying it.

SS, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Archived