Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Onion:Professional Racing Drivers In 2-Ton Cars Terrified By Droplets Of Water

ACW

Its hard to race in the rain with tires that have no tread, and cars that are not equiped to run in the rain.

NASCAR has a few road races, so they know how to turn right.

Go do the Petty driving experience and strap yourself in one of those cars and your thoughts about NASCAR will change fast.

Its hard to race in the rain with tires that have no tread, and cars that are not equiped to run in the rain.

So your point is that they can't drive in the rain, because they've designed their cars around the assumption that they will never do it?

(Although I would assert that said drivers aren't terrified of a few droplets of water. They're terrified of concrete walls.)

larry, do you watch nascar? do you know that they arent really "stock cars" any more?

just curious..

Mick, you should check out a few road courses and find out just how many drivers came from different styles of racing.

i love the onion though..they make great articles.

It is hard to argue though, every other form of racing goes pretty much in anything. If F1 cars and LeMans cars can do it, it's weak that NASCAR can't.

Uh, no. The cars are not designed for it. Would you go four-wheeling in mud with a car that is not a 4WD and is not designed for it?

Uh, no. The cars are not designed for it. Would you go four-wheeling in mud with a car that is not a 4WD and is not designed for it?

The reason they aren't designed for it, is because the people doing the designing know that they'll never have to.

Now if the rules were "we race, regardless of weather", then they would be designed for it.

(Whether that would make the sport better or worse is a matter of opinion.)

Yes, it is actually quite fun....for awhile

Explaining to your buddies that ya gotta call to pull ya out is a pain though.:silly:

Speaking of racing it is time to go Nationwide Racin on espn 2 :cheers:

You betcha!

And Larry, I see that you are now an expert in Nascar racing. But somehow, you got it entirely wrong. Maybe, just maybe, my forty-five year association (through several family members and as a former racer on various levels) with the sport trumps what you may know.

But I'm sure you feel like you know more than me on the subject - so have at it and the rest of us will enjoy a good laugh. After all, you are an expert in everything and know more than every expert in any given subject.

The reason they aren't designed for it, is because the people doing the designing know that they'll never have to.

Now if the rules were "we race, regardless of weather", then they would be designed for it.

(Whether that would make the sport better or worse is a matter of opinion.)

NASCAR does not race in the rain because of the cars, it is not up to the "people doing the designing" to make that decision. It is not safe to race those cars in the rain on all of the tracks, so you would have to have a "rain car" for certain tracks, and not for others. It just does not make sense.

F1 cars aren't designed for it and go faster, that's why they have tires for that. If you're telling me they can't change tires I find that hard to believe.

You betcha!

And Larry, I see that you are now an expert in Nascar racing. But somehow, you got it entirely wrong. Maybe, just maybe, my forty-five year association (through several family members and as a former racer on various levels) with the sport trumps what you may know.

But I'm sure you feel like you know more than me on the subject - so have at it and the rest of us will enjoy a good laugh. After all, you are an expert in everything and know more than every expert in any given subject.

NASCAR does not race in the rain because of the cars, it is not up to the "people doing the designing" to make that decision. It is not safe to race those cars in the rain on all of the tracks, so you would have to have a "rain car" for certain tracks, and not for others. It just does not make sense.

Now.

The reason why the cars cannot be designed for it is. . . . ?

F1 cars aren't designed for it and go faster, that's why they have tires for that. If you're telling me they can't change tires I find that hard to believe.

It is a lot more then just changing tires. Not to mention that most of the tracks it would not be safe to run in the rain.

Give it a try.

To be fair - I'll give you two hours. Hint - don't focus on the tires.

To be honest - SC and I cornered you on purpose. You have until 10 pm.

You haven't "cornered me" at all. What you've done is attacked me personally and intentionally lied about what I've said.

Is it possible to design a race car that is capable of racing in the rain?

(I'll give you a hint: Every person in this thread already knows the answer. You can answer it, or run away from it.)

No. Yes.

(And I can't see how either question relates to my post, or to the thread.)

it has to do with your post because they arent regular cars any more. they arent designed to drive in the rain. i dont even know if they have windshield wipers on them.

they arent stock cars any more. they dont have treads on their tires any more.

THATS what it has to do with your post.

we go thru some nascar bashing thread every once in a while and its usually the same ol players who come in here with the same tired jokes. Cant turn right, not a real sport..yadda yadda yadda.

You haven't "cornered me" at all. What you've done is attacked me personally and intentionally lied about what I've said.

(I'll give you a hint: Every person in this thread already knows the answer. You can answer it, or run away from it.)

you want nascar to change everything and now design a car to drive in the rain even though every driver and fan is perfectly content with the way things are now?

man, thats pretty arrogant. and you dont even watch the sport.

:wtf: I have not seen any personal attacks.

It is a lot more then just changing tires. Not to mention that most of the tracks it would not be safe to run in the rain.

Really?? BB and i are the only ones talking about NASCAR, not F1 and other forms of racing. Saying those are the same is like saying football ans soccer are the same cause they use a ball.

Maybe you should watch NASCAR the race is on espn 2 :D

it has to do with your post because they arent regular cars any more. they arent designed to drive in the rain. i dont even know if they have windshield wipers on them.

they arent stock cars any more. they dont have treads on their tires any more.

THATS what it has to do with your post.

Show me where I made any of those claims.

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that these "cars" are designed to exacting tolerances to perform their designed tasks in the best way that their very very highly-paid designers and engineers can achieve. That every decision is made with the knowledge that a victory may be riding on it.

I assert that those same highly-paid automotive experts could manage to put windshield wipers on the cars, if the NASCAR rules didn't guarantee them that the car will never need them.

we go thru some nascar bashing thread every once in a while and its usually the same ol players who come in here with the same tired jokes. Cant turn right, not a real sport..yadda yadda yadda.

And I'm not one of them

So if you wanna get your rocks off by attacking somebody, because you got your feelings hurt in some other thread, I suggest you go look up that other thread, find out who it was that you're pissed at, and attack him.

you want nascar to change everything and now design a car to drive in the rain even though every driver and fan is perfectly content with the way things are now?

man, thats pretty arrogant. and you dont even watch the sport.

Show me where I said that, jerk.

Archived