Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A low fat diet?

robotfire

I was recently diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis, and my doctor told me to go on a low fat diet. He said that sugar won't affect it at all, other than the time later down the road when I'll need a healthy body to recover from a liver transplant. I immediately started researching low fat foods, but everything I read cuts out sugar as well. I don't care about sugar! I probably need more of it than the average person now, because I can't have much fat. I'm worried that I can't keep my weight up with such a low fat diet. What are my options? So far, here's my list of things that are okay:

whole wheat bread

all fruits

all vegetables

corn

rice

candy (not chocolate or peanut butter)

chicken

fish

cereal

skim milk with any cereal I want every morning, and it doesn't matter as long as it's sugar and not fat

I can sort of cheat every two weeks or so, but it's limited (two slices of pizza would be my "cheat"). I also got the okay to do the Disney dining plan in September, and I can gorge once a year on my birthday.

What is primary sclerosing cholangitis? Sounds either painful or itchy.

As far as keeping your weight up, as long as you are getting enough protein, you will be fine. Added benefit of it being good weight, not flab if you exercise at all.

For low fat foods, you can add most pasta to the list, also, alcohol is a-ok. :cheers:

Dude, you need to find a nutritionist or a medical doctor with a nutritional background ot help you develop a diet that is effective for your disease.

What you are doing now is just silly. For one a lot of the artificial sweetners/fats are bad for this.

Don't mess around and look for dietary advice on the board. Get a professional *nutritionist*.

Dude, you need to find a nutritionist or a medical doctor with a nutritional background ot help you develop a diet that is effective for your disease.

What you are doing now is just silly. For one a lot of the artificial sweetners/fats are bad for this.

Don't mess around and look for dietary advice on the board. Get a professional *nutritionist*.

You gave good advice AND told me not to listen to advice from here? That doesn't make sense at all! I plan on continuing with diet advice from nutritionists, etc, but you'd be surprised at the insight offered on this board. They did not tell me about artificial sweeteners, for instance, so that was a good bit of information. Thanks!

Primary sclerosing cholangitis is when bile can't get through the bile ducts. It has nowhere to go, and it causes damage to the liver. In about 10 or 15 years, I'll probably need a liver transplant. It can get itchy, by the way, and painful. Before I started taking ursodiol, I had itching and pain in the right side of my back. The itching is because the toxins have nowhere to go, so they go into the skin. The pain is because the liver is inflamed, or something.

EDIT: I'm having trouble finding the artificial sweeteners thing from a site that isn't selling herbal remedies. I'll ask my doctor about it, though.

Holy **** Robotfire. Sorry to hear that man.
It's not as bad as it sounds. I mean, transplants are the accepted treatment at this time, but who knows what will happen between now and then? Also, we've got my enzymes down, which means no damage is happening right now. The ursodiol isn't supposed to work for forever, but we caught it REALLY early. most people don't ever get their numbers back to normal once they're diagnosed. I just want to do everything I can to be healthy in every way.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the advice, TWA. I like oatmeal, too. A lot of what I've read has said that you want to stick to things that are high in carbohydrates (breads, OATMEAL, potatoes, etc). It really looks like I just need to stick to the food pyramid.

Archived