Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JP: Far-right wing activists launch anti-Obama campaign

JMS

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1244034988150&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Far-right wing activists launch anti-Obama campaign

Jun. 3, 2009

Abe Selig , THE JERUSALEM POST

Chanting "No, you can't!" and waving signs bearing messages in a similar vein, nearly 200 people held a demonstration outside the US Consulate on the capital's Rehov Agron on Wednesday evening, protesting the growing American pressure to stop construction in West Bank settlements.

Speakers at the event included MK Michael Ben-Ari (National Union) and Esther Pollard, the wife of convicted spy Jonathan Pollard. All brought a similar message - that the American government does not have the right to dictate where Jews may or may not live within the Land of Israel.

"Mr. Obama, we started demonstrating 16 years ago," said Rabbi Shalom Gold, the founder of Kehillat Zichron Ya'acov in Jerusalem's Har Nof neighborhood, alluding to the early days of the Oslo Accords. "You were in your '30s and you probably didn't know the first thing about Eretz Yisrael... but we're part of God's divine plan, we're here and we're staying here!"

"Be a friend of Israel, but even if you won't be, we have the greatest ally in the world," he said, pointing to the heavens.

Esther Pollard followed, telling the crowd that her message to the US president was that "your problem isn't with Prime Minister Netanyahu, nor is it with the People of Israel. Your problem, Mr. President, is with the almighty God of Israel!"

The protest continued for more than two hours, as the demonstrators ebbed and flowed and consular staff across the street came out to watch the goings-on.

The protest was only a part of a wider campaign launched by activists on Wednesday, in which they will try to counter the American stance by portraying Obama as an anti-Semite whose policies would harm the Jewish state.

Over the coming days, activists plan to hang posters throughout the country of Obama wearing a keffiyeh, flanked by the words, "Anti-Semite," and "Jew-hater," written in red in both English and Hebrew. Another poster published by the campaign shows Obama shaking hands with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad against a background of a mushroom cloud from a nuclear explosion.

The Jewish National Front, which is backing the protests, said in a statement: "We decided to launch a campaign against the president of the United States and to say that Barack Hussein Obama is bad for the Jews."

"From the moment that he entered the White House, we have been feeling anti-Semitism and hatred toward Israel," the statement continued. "We have a number of plans, among which are demonstrations in the US and protests in front of the consulate and homes of the ambassadors."

Later Wednesday evening, Peace Now issued a statement harshly criticizing the campaign, saying the anti-Obama posters and demonstrations would cause considerable damage to the friendship between the US and Israel. "The radical Right is damaging our strategic alliance with the US, and is embarrassing Israel in front of the world," the organization said. "[Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu] must renounce this campaign of the settlers at once, and act decisively against the hilltop youth and those who are breaking the law in the settlements."

It's so hard.. especially when you throw God into the mix. Heck, I bet by now even God doesn't want much to do with this whole mess.

God: Why you putting all this on me? I just burned a bush and scribbled down a few basic rules for you guys. Phah!

This is tricky, if you are them. The old, 'I can criticize my family, but you can not.' Obama is the President of the US. Calling him an anti-semite is by extension calling the people that voted for him anti-semites. They might not like that and this could have a real backlash affect.

This is tricky, if you are them. The old, 'I can criticize my family, but you can not.' Obama is the President of the US. Calling him an anti-semite is by extension calling the people that voted for him anti-semites. They might not like that and this could have a real backlash affect.

Including like high seventy percent of Jewish American voters who voted for Obama. Coarse that's nothing new for Israel, last time Netanyahu was in office the knesset almost passed a definition of who could consider themselves Jewish which would have excluded like 90% of American Jews.

Israel has a rich plethora of diverse opinions. I do think calling the sitting American President an anti-semite is offensive. Then again George Bush Sr. was also called an anti-semite when he refused to give Israel loan gaurantee's for 12 Billion to build out it's settlements in the occupied territories ( for a time, Bush Sr eventually caved)...

If Obama is not pissing off people like this, then he's on the wrong track.

I agree with that the radical settlers are the group which killed the Israeli PM, Yitzak Rabin when he championed Land for Peace. They are a fringe group in Israel. I've read that most Israeli's favor a formula for peace based on an exchange of land. How much land is the major stumbling block. Israel got control of Jerusalem their capital in the 67 war for instance. A majority of Israeli's are not willing to give that up.

Ultimately though if you aren't upsetting the folks on the fringes you aren't doing a very good job. It's a good sentament.

Call me biased, but I am not really interested in hearing what the wife of Jonathan Pollard has to say to America.

I know, can you imagine.. It's like having Samuel Sheinbein appear and want to discuss US foreign policy.

Persuasive? Not so much.

Wouldn't necessarily call these people "crazies." They're Likud's primary base. And if you don't think Netanyahu and his Lik ilk are gritting their teeth over Obama's presidency thus far, then you're smoking something.

Wouldn't say pissing Netanyahu off is necessarily a bad thing either, just pointing out the reality.

Wouldn't necessarily call these people "crazies." They're Likud's primary base. And if you don't think Netanyahu is gritting his teeth over Obama's presidency thus far, then you're smoking something.

Not a primary base. An important fringe. The winner and largest holder of seats in the last Israeli elections was the Kadima party who won 28 of 120 seets in the Knesset.. ( Israeli Parlement ). That means the two most popular parties won fewer than half the seats available.

That magnifies the smaller fringe political partys power in a parlementary system. Yisrael Beiteinu won fewer than 13% of the Israeli vote, yet he holds the power to topple Netanyahu's fragal alliance and remove him from power. He and his ilk aren't Netanyahu's base; they're the critics Netanyahu has to co-exist with.

Wouldn't say pissing Netanyahu off is necessarily a bad thing either, just pointing out the reality.

Right now it's all talk and posturing. Nothing has happenned yet. The quesiton is will Obama fallow up the bold vision and words with actions. The question is can he.

Right now it's as much a political game for support more than anything else. Netanyahu has played this game before.

Call me biased, but I am not really interested in hearing what the wife of Jonathan Pollard has to say to America.

Yeeeah. I would submit that if these people want Americans to give one damn about their opinions, trotting out the wife of a convicted spy is probably not the best way to go.

Right now it's all talk and posturing. Nothing has happenned yet. The quesiton is will Obama fallow up the bold vision and words with actions. The question is can he.

Fringe? That's like saying the evangelicals are a fringe GOP supporter. These were the same people pulling Sharon's strings.

And Kadima and Likud were essentially tied but Netanyahu runs the show. Nobody even remembers Livni's name anymore.

Regarding your quote, replace "Obama" with "Ahmawannajihad" and you sum up why this so-called fringe is making its voice heard in the first place.

Your spelling is as atrocious as ever. I'm convinced you dropped out of elementary school.

Archived