Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great Woody article on Dockery, Jacobs, and Smoot

REDSKINS NOTES

Jun 13, 2003

ON GUARD: The Washington Redskins spent millions of dollars in the offseason to upgrade their offensive guard positions.

But before this season is over, one of the best guards on the squad might be third-round draft choice Derrick Dockery.

Dockery has impressed the coaching staff enough that he was inserted into the starting unit at times in the recent minicamp.

Dockery's performance does not appear to jeopardize the starting jobs of Randy Thomas or Dave Fiore, who were signed as free agents by the Redskins in March.

The player who might find his role changing is starting center Larry Moore.

When Dockery is with the starters, he plays right guard, Thomas moves from right guard to left guard and Fiore from left guard to center.

Fiore downplayed the possibility that what happened in minicamp could happen in the regular season.

"It's more trying to find who can play other positions in case of emergency," Fiore said. "This is something you can do in minicamp when you have time to work on it."

Fiore filled in at center for several games when he played for the San Francisco 49ers.

"I'm trying to get comfortable at left guard," Fiore said. "That's what I'll be playing."

It's easy to see why the Redskins would find Dockery an intriguing starting prospect.

The rookie from the University of Texas is 6-6 and weighs 347. Dockery appears to have good agility and speed for a player his size, and, when he pulls and heads across the formation on a running play such as the counter-trey, he offers a forbidding presence.

If Dockery continues to progress and impress in training camp, the Redskins will have a hard time keeping him on the sidelines.

GOOD START: Dockery wasn't the only rookie who made an impression in the offseason minicamps and coaching sessions.

Wide receiver Taylor Jacobs, taken in the second round of the draft, appears to have a solid hold on the job as the No.3 wideout, not that coach Steve Spurrier would admit that.

"We don't number them one-two-three like a lot of teams do," Spurrier said Wednesday. "I guess he'll be in the top five."

However, Jacobs has been the third wide receiver on the field, along with Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner, when the team has gone to its third-down passing plays in offseason workouts.

"Taylor has done very well," Spurrier said. "So did Pat Johnson. And Laveranues and Rod did well. And we like Cliff Russell."

Johnson is a veteran who was signed as a free agent after playing for Carolina last season. Russell was a third-round draft choice by the Redskins in 2002. He missed last season after suffering a knee injury in training camp.

A BETTER FIT: Cornerback Fred Smoot seems to be enjoying life more and seems more relaxed than he did a year ago.

Smoot and former Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis, now the coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, did not seem to be a perfect match last season. George Edwards, the Redskins linebackers coach last season, now is the team's defensive coordinator.

Edwards is much more low-key on the practice field than Lewis.

"Me and Marvin had a close relationship," Smoot said. "But both of us were talkers. You know how anytime two talkers get together, one is going to say one thing, and the other is going to say something else.

"Marvin taught me a lot. Coach Edwards is more laid back. I like either style. Either way it goes, you're going to get the best out of me."

Smoot's performance last season was a dropoff after a strong rookie season in 2001. A happier, more relaxed Smoot might mean the Redskins will see the Smoot of 2001 in 2003. - Paul Woody

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/redskins/MGBYDSXHVGD.html

Originally posted by Posse81

Funny that SS didn't mention McCants in the WR group that impressed. I wonder if we can read anything into that...

Good Observation, however I think it was just a slip of the mind.

Originally posted by Posse81

Funny that SS didn't mention McCants in the WR group that impressed. I wonder if we can read anything into that...

I noticed this right after reading it. I was wondering the same thing. I think that we'll keep 6wr's unless Chad Morten impresses enough in catching, then maybe he'll be used both ways.

man I can't wait for football to start anymore.

Originally posted by TheChosenOne

Of course Woody didnt pass up an opportunity to describe a player incorrectly. Patrick Johnson played for the Jaguars last year.

You beat me to it. For Woody, one gaff is pretty good. I don't think he's written a mistake-free article since 1987.:doh:

I wonder if we may end up trading one of the free agent Gs we picked up if Dockery really picks up, I mean, if we were to trade Fiore for example, It's not like we would would suddenly be low on depth, and it would clear some camp space, maybe enough to re-sign Champ or LaVar?

origionally posted by Starter-

"I wonder if we may end up trading one of the free agent Gs we picked up if Dockery really picks up, I mean, if we were to trade Fiore for example, It's not like we would would suddenly be low on depth, and it would clear some camp space, maybe enough to re-sign Champ or LaVar?"

Trading Fiore would be a disgraceful move on the part of the skins front office and would make no sense at all. Fiore signed a 4yr deal with a small sign bonus. Fiore is the most versatle lineman on the team and is only 28. He can play all 5 line spots, and is renown around the league for his work ethic and strenght. When he was in san fran he set team records for bench pressing.

No, no, no, no! You don't trade Fiore. Fiore can play every position on the line, and he can play three of them (LG, RG, and C) very well and two (RT and LT) serviceable well. Dockery is a rookie. Rookie's on the OL always struggle. Period. It's perfect that he gets to learn behind really good guards. He'll get his chances this year and he'll be ready to step in next year. Don't believe what you hear in an article written in June about a rookie playing well in shorts and a tshirt in some coaches camp just before he signs his contract. Don't you know that their agents are buying dinner for sports writers (who aren't the brightest stars in the sky) and begging them to write nice things about their clients just before they have to go in to negotiate?

If you've gotta get rid of someone, trade Rod Jones. Trade Brad Bedell. Trade Wilbert Brown. Trade Pita Elisara. Trade Akil Smith.

But don't even consider trading Samuels, Jansen, Thomas, Fiore, Friedman, Moore, or Dockery. Or even Tre Johnson (if he's healthy) or Alex Sulfsted (for OT depth). These guys are the big reason why the offense won't suck like last year.

I'd rather go to camp with all of these guys and let them duke it out. Man this is so much better than last year when the skins were signing every fat man at the Denny's breakfast buffet and trying him out at guard.

(Note to admins: new server is the bomb!)

Smooty is my main man and I'm glad that he's talking nice about Lewis and that their main disagreement was Smoot's mouth. I was worried it was something more sinister. Arrington is a darling of the fans too and he had major disagreements with Lewis. So... perhaps Smoot just jawboned a little more whereas Arrington took it like a man. :cool:

I'm with Bulldog. At least until we see what we've got, don't trade anyone.

It's been very disturbing to watch the franchise that popularized the offensive line send out subpar lines over the past decade.

All our alleged offensive woes will miraculously disappear if we build a huge, competent line.

Imagine us being able to do to the cowpukes what they've done to us for the last 6 or 7 seasons. That is, use a big and talented OL to run them into the ground. Add some FNG to the mix and I'll be in hog heaven.

No, I think at the prices we signed some of these guys we keep as deep an OL as possible. Sorry, I'm just sick of the turnstile that the middle of our OL has been for the past few seasons.

Originally posted by panel

I wonder if we may end up trading one of the free agent Gs we picked up if Dockery really picks up, I mean, if we were to trade Fiore for example, It's not like we would would suddenly be low on depth, and it would clear some camp space, maybe enough to re-sign Champ or LaVar?

You should be smacked.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may be that McCants didn't impress the staff as much as he did many here. One gent here (I can't recall his handle) spoke with Dan Snyder in person and got to talk ball. He said that Snyder told him McCants was more of a 5th receiver right now.

I think that are wideout corps is going to be good for years to come all of them have not spent more than 5 years in the NFL. You guys think there good this year wait till 2004 season trust me once these guys go through there growing pains and come together and adjust to Ramsey arm we will have the best young 4 set recieving corps in the nation. Gardner, Russell, Coles, Jacobs all together massing 4000 yards recieving.

Guest Trevor

I've been saying all offseason that if you read between the lines that the team is not very enamored with McCants and that he will be most likely the fifth or sixth receiver if he makes the team. I think as of now the team views him as the #6 guy.

Archived